My 2nd weathering project: SD45T-2

Frans4045

Hi All!

Thanks again for your kind comments and numerous views on my first post, the weathering of the GP-38! This sure feels like a friendly forum.

Well in the last few days I worked on my second locomotive ever. A big SD45T-2.
One significant difference in approach was that I did not cover the entire model with a dirt wash. My purpose of the dark wash is to emphasize the sunken details; nooks and crannies if you know what I mean.
When I covered the GP-38 it came out much dirtier than I had intended. It looked ok and I certainly have seen much dirtier locos but it was more luck than skill and I was not really in control.
So, this time I applied the dark wash as precise as possible into the tiny grooves etc. and let the capillary forces do the work for me. Of course I had little spills and I wiped those away as best as I could in order to keep the main surfaces relatively clean.
When I was done with that, the locomotive still looked somewhat dirty and used but not as bad as the GP-38.

For the rest I applied some dry brushing and pastel chalks for dirt streaks, diesel spills and rust.

Well, let me know what you think and if you see failures or room for improvement, please point them out! It is the main reason I post this. Not to show off, but to improve my skills.

SD45T-22.jpg

SD45T-24.jpg

SD45T-25-1.jpg

SD45T-23-1.jpg

Oops! I forgot to remove a piece of masking tape on a rear window...Oh well, I was in a hurry to take pictures tonight, using the last bit of bright sunlight.

Frans

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good! My guess is you're resting the train on code 100 Atlas track, with those icky huge spike heads...

In any case, you did good. Did you do anythign to the roof, such as soot?

Very nice job, overall. The trucks and fuel tank look especially good. The only suggestion I'd make is to tone down the yellow paint. UP yellow fades really fast as it ages, eventually ending up almost a lemon yellow color. You could use either a very dilute spray of white paint or white chalks to acheive the weathered yellow effect.

I think it looks very realistic. A light white wash would probably help a bit, but I would do only one, let it cure, and then see if I could live with that for a while. After a few days you may feel that it needs another coat, or you may feel that it looks really darned good! :D

The back end seems a bit more faded to my eyes that the front 2/3. If you could get all of it looking uniformly faded, that would be great. But I think that the trucks and tank look really good!

-Crandell

Hi Guys!

Thanks once again for taking the time to look at my post and comment.

jbaakko: Thank you for pointing out the rails! As a complete novice I had not yet thought about the fact that there is most likely a difference in rails quality and realism as well! At this point I use my locomotives for display only, but it has to be as close to real as I can get it. Please let me know what the best rails are.
I did weather the roof and even took a picture of it, straight from the top, but the picture turned out bad.

Trucklover: Thank you for replying so quick to the post and your kind words!

Jim: I totally agree about the yellow paint. Guess what? As soon as I am done replying here I am going to give the chalk a try. I am too scared to use the airbrush with diluted white paint. What paint would you use? The last coating the locomotive got is Dull Coat on top of chalks. All the rest of the paints I used were Humbrol enamel for the dark wash and Tamya acrylics for dry brushing.

Crandell: Thank you too! And I have the same question for you about the white wash, see above. And IF I get the guts to white wash, should I apply it to the yellow surfaces only?

Big D: This model is an Athearn HO Scale. Thank you for looking! Can I ask you what scale you thought it was? Had I not known better, if I saw these pictures for the first time, I probably would have thought it was a bigger scale...What say you?

MLW: Thank you so much!

Frans

frans

that big seethrough grill in the back told me it was bigger then N
very nice work, how about using m.m. acrylic dust watered down
to dull the yellow?

I would use about one teaspoon of acrylic latex white paint, maybe a drop of tan [not borwn, tan] (half a drop, actually), and then add about a full cup of water to that mix, and stir well. Then, with a fairly large artist's brush, dip the brush in the wash, squeeze out most of it, and begin a series of vertical swipes up and down the side of the body of the diesel. Go easy if you have delicate thingies stuck onto the model.

The idea is not to let a bunch of the wash puddle because that will turn whitish there when it dries. So, spread it around a bit, dip once more if you need to, and then go to the ends and other side. Let it dry thoroughly. Does that look even better? Would another coat spoil it possibly? Then you know where you are.

I'll go with Crandell on his recommendations for toning down the paint. By using the diluted wash method, you build up the change in thin coats and stop when it looks good. I've never seen a nicely weathered model that was all done in one pass.

I suggest, dump some grey paint on it, add a little red on the nose and long hood end, and walla, you've got your self a nice looking locomotive. :D Ha ha,
Sorry, I just had to say that. Hey I think that your weathering is really good, yea I would probably try to dull the yellow just a bit, course, my system of weathering locomotives is(especially road units that run through tunnels), take some black chalk, put some on finger, and coat evenly on locomotive sides, and hood roof., in an attempt to give it that deasile smoke grime look. But thats just my 2Cents.
Deffinitly looks great, keep up the good work. You know, some nice SD70M's and maybe a C44-9 (in UP paint of course) would sure look good mued to that locomotive.:D

Thanks guys! Yeah I have another SD40-2 (with long snoot) UP colors waiting in line to be next. And indeed, first thing I want to do is lighten the yellow.
I was going to try it with a good quality pastel chalk/powder I bought today.
The question I have regarding the use of an airbrush with very very light yellow is; what will it do to the red lettering "UNION PACIFIC"?
I thought...and this is just a guess not based on any experience whatsoever, that I I would apply the chalk with a brush and so I can work around the red lettering.
Is that doable? or nonsense I shouldn't worry about?

Oh, Joshjefflawn: I actually DO have a C44-9 in UP AND an SD60M (no..not 70)

Frans

Frans, the red lettering tended to fade at about the same rate as the yellow paint. A very light overspray of white (not yellow) will fade the red lettering also, which is what you want. I suggest you try this out first on a junker and get the process right before you do it on a good locomotive.

Back