MTH Veranda Turbine - Modified - Video

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I picked up an MTH Veranda turbine a few months ago. It ran fine for a short while then the rear drive truck started binding. I took it apart and found the top cap on the truck gear tower was loose. I reassembled the loco but it still wasn't running right. I messed with it over the period of a few weeks but it turns out it was the decoder. I think the speed matching tach portion wasn't working. There are two motors in the model. The is a small circuit board on the rear motor that has a Hall effect sensor on it and the matching timing marks on the motor flywheel. That keeps each motor turning at the same speed. I tried to find tech support on the MTH web site but nobody works on the HO scale anymore. Most comments were, MTH's parts support is terrible. I decided to replace the decoder with an ESU sound decoder but using the MTH speakers.
My LokProgrammer got fried a few weeks ago from a surge or lightning strike so I had to have my ESU dealer program up the decoder then I installed it in the loco.
Sound is great. A little stutter starting but it rolls great above speed step 10. I borrowed a LokProgrammer yesterday and tuned up the starting voltage so now low speed is much better.
Yep, that's the GTEL on the track waiting for clearance.

Very impressive! Interesting cloud shadow at 0.31. ;) If I ran that many cars on my 14' x 14' folded dogbone layout, the turbine would act as its own pusher! ;)

Back