Moving to Portland, OR

...And I'm wondering what the club scene is like. Got a new job there driving motorcoaches. I know of the Columbia Gorge club, are there any others?

Mt. Hood model RR club (HO Scale). There is a N scale club in the Hobbysmith. (Not the same layout that I was involved with as a kid in the old location) I know of quite a few private layouts int the area as well. Also the Willamette Valley club.

I'm not sure how far it is but if you are willing to drive I'd get in touch with Joe Fugate if I was you. He lives in that area and would be one guy to learn from. I know that he does ops nights where you can run his trains, but when it comes to running yours, that might be a different story. Still, you could get to know the guys that hang out with him and the sky is the limit from there. Go onto his website and email him.

Joe Fugate does have a very nice layout and it really a lot of fun to run on. I always thought the 2 crew helpers were fun. Although all the times I have been down there, I do not recall anyone running anything that was their own power. Each session is set in a certain time frame and only power that ran during that time is run. Not saying it couldn't happen, just have never seen it myself. It is a layout worth seeing at least once.

Good luck out there. I fell in love with the city last year at the NSC convention. We had Coach USA buses. Made friends with all the drivers. Easy for me since I drove tours & charters for 27 years.:D

I'll be there (Columbia Gorge) the night of the 2nd. Would I be allowed to run a couple of my own engines and a caboose or should I just leave them home?

...and I believe the Portland yard and roundhouse area are still DC only as well.
Albina and the Seattle Spiral are DCC capable. I'm not sure about Union Station, though. As far as bringing you own equipment, don't bother. I do not mean to sound harsh, but a guest coming in to run his own stuff might be looked down on. Especially since this is our "Busy Season".

There is a new club in Clackamas that is in the building phase and really could use the extra help. Their layout is half built and they are already running ops sessions on that portion. For more info contact Dale through his website;

http://www.cascadelocomotiveworks.net/

A club like the Columbia Gorge is already well established with a lot of members and a lot of rules. It's easy for a ambitious new member to get frustrated in a club like that, so it's often better to try one of the newer less restrictive clubs like the Mount Hood or the Clackamas club.

Yes I have pretty much decided on the Willamette club. When things settle down in my job a bit more and I get moved I will be able to be more active.

A club like the Columbia Gorge is already well established with a lot of members and a lot of rules. It's easy for a ambitious new member to get frustrated in a club like that, so it's often better to try one of the newer less restrictive clubs like the Mount Hood or the Clackamas club.

I second that! I went to the CRGMRRC when I was 17. Did not feel welcome at all. Now that was back in 1991 so times may have changed. My few experiences there turned me away from clubs very quickly and any other clubs for some time.
Dont get me wrong, clubs are great and I wish I had one closer around.
Chad

Back