Mounting Circuit Boards under the layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

MilwRoader_Steve

Greetings helpful collective wisdom minds!

Hopefully Friday, I will begin some more electrical work for my Uff Da Line HO layout. To that end I plan to:

-- Install and wire a PSX Electronic Circuit Breaker Board.
-- Wire up a 16 VDC 5A power supply for the electromagnet uncouplers.
-- Install and wire up a circuit board timer to give a monitored "on" time for the 16 VDC to the electromagnet coils, as per Larry Puckett "The DCC Guy."
-- install and wire up a buck board to drop from the 16 VDC to 12 VDC for the power supply to the timer boards and other to-be-added-later 12 VDC items.

Should be fun - - and vexing - - but needed.

So my question to your collective experience/wisdom is this: How do you mount Circuit boards under your layout?

Please help me with suggestions AND pictures if available for:

horizontal or vertical orientation?
Separate 'cabinet/drawer'
double-sided foam or screws
How much 'slack' for maintenance?
other that I have not thought of

Thanks as always!

Steve J

videobruce

Tower Operator
Get a piece of 3/8" plywood, using standoffs, mount your boards on that placing them with enough room for wiring..
Mount the board on the wall, not upside down so you can easily see whats what for servicing. ;) And don't forget some local lighting, short LED strips or some portable lighting hung so it lights up the panel.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I mount my circuits on pieces of pine at least 1x4's or larger and either hang them vertically or horizontally.

DCC Center.JPG
This is my power area for my DCC, Booster, lighting, switch machine and LED power all mounted on a piece of older pine board. Some items are mounted on the reverse side of the board. This board has been used on all four of my recent layouts.-Greg

New Turnout Wiring (2).jpg
Wiring mounted on a 2x4 pine board.-Greg

Signal wiring.jpg
Signal controls on a 1x4 pine board.-Greg

Greg

PMW

I have something big enough for my booster, breakers/auto reverser laptop (I use JMRI for operations and hopefully one day for control panel). Also should be enough room for antenna if I go wireless (fingers crossed).

I used small pieces of 5/32 cork to raise the boards slightly for air flow. I certainly don’t want to hi jack a thread so if anyone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know over in my “A Beginner’s Layout” thread in layout design and construction.

You might not want everything in one place but it works for me.

49F7CD91-2498-4D59-811C-467AFED359FC.jpeg

PMW

Hmmm ... .... a lower horizontal shelf for the boards and powersupplies. Hmmmm
I’m a beginner and open to constructive criticism but I said unequivocally in my post that any such replies should be posted elsewhere. I even specified where.

Please read posts completely and carefully before replying.

Your post was clearly in response to my reply and not to the original poster which would have been better.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
I’m a beginner and open to constructive criticism but I said unequivocally in my post that any such replies should be posted elsewhere. I even specified where.

Please read posts completely and carefully before replying.

Your post was clearly in response to my reply and not to the original poster which would have been better.
This is a friendly forum. Try to behave.

PMW

No offense meant, and none taken. I ask your forgiveness, PMW

I want to apologize to you all but specifically to MilwRoader Steve. You certainly have no need to apologize to me. I misunderstood your post as implying my setup was not a good idea. If I had taken my own advise and read the whole post (including who wrote it) I probably wouldn't have made that mistake.

Sorry again for disrupting your thread. I will be more careful going forward.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.