Modular and Sectional Layouts

Ash Pit

Those of you who have built or are building Modular and/or Sectional Layouts, can I ask what you've used to align the modules together. Larry Puckett is running a build session on Module building and he uses DCC Concepts Base Board Alignment Dowels <https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-category/track-and-track-making-parts/> These are very nice; but, expensive at around $20.00 per module joint! I would have 5 such joints on my new On30 layout and this would be an investment of $100.00 plus shipping from Great Britten, just for alignment dowels! What have you used and how satisfied are you with what you have used.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I've tried the alignment dowels a couple times in the past when building modules. They don't work. Wood expands or contracts over times and just a small amount, i.e. 1/16" will hose things up.
One of the things I do now that is effective is to sand down the end of the cork ballast at the edge of each module because over time, it will swell and cause a hump which lifts the track. The short dip in the road bed won't cause a problem to the track.

D&J, I would think that varnishing or painting the ends of the module where the dowels are fitted would do much to keep alignment working. However, if you don't use dowels, what do you do?

D&J, I would think that varnishing or painting the ends of the module where the dowels are fitted would do much to keep alignment working. However, if you don't use dowels, what do you do?
Yep, paint, varnish, epoxy coating, etc doesn't keep the moisture out of the wood. It's going to expand enough where your track won't align properly, especially the vertical.
I build all my modules and just use C clamps to hold em together. I align then during assembly for a show. Even still, the wood expands or contracts enough that I leave the last few inches of my track un attached to the road bed so they can be linked with track joiners.
I would think the only sure way to get the modules to perfectly align is if your frame was metal.

So, nobody has a cheap way of aligning modules. I don't know why I'm hung up on this because the only time this layout will likely be disassembled is when the wife and sons need to remove it after I kick-off.

One also has to identify whether the layout is "modular" or "sectional".

A modular layout is one where the ends of the modules are built to a standard pattern with respect to width and track alignment so it can be joined to other like design modules. The modules can be rearranged so the modules can be assembled with standard ends in any order. N-Trak and Freemo are examples of modular layouts.

A sectional layout is one that is designed to be separated in to individual pieces. The here is no standard pattern for the ends of the sections, the tracks cross the section ends as needed. Sectional layouts tend to only be assembled in one set order and are not necessarily designed to connect with other layouts.

I have built several sectional layouts and always connected the sections using 1/4 inch bolts and fender washers through the end plates. I have also belonged to several modular clubs, in both HO and N scale and we always used C clamps to join modules.

A club I once belonged to used hinges. One side of the hinge on each module. Pull the pins to take it all apart. This was a layout that was regularly taken down and reassembled at train shows. The hinges worked for years, in fact until we retired the layout. Before that modules were bolted together, which also worked, but was time intensive.

I guess my new layout will be have module sections. Since, like I said above the new layout will be put together and likely not disassembled and not really made for hauling to train shows. Unlike you, Dave1905, this will be my first permanent sectional layout. I hope I can keep from using the word "Modular"!

boatwrench, Those latches do look like they could hold layout sections together. However they don't specifically provide alignment.

Per the NMRA's INTRODUCTION TO MODULE STANDARDS & RECOMMENDED PRACTICES - NMRA Bulletin March 1990 - The NMRA does go on to define what a Module is and what a Sectional Layout is and the information pretty much parrots what Dave1905 stated. So, I must change my way of thinking to align myself with "NMRA Speak"! There is a defined difference between the two! Thank goodness I found this information out before I built any modules into my Sectional Layout.

Last edited:
I’ve seen aluminum strips screwed to the module ends with tapered metal pins used with good results, it was a Winnipeg group. I just use bolts and wing nuts but of course my sections stay in my climate controlled house.

So, nobody has a cheap way of aligning modules. I don't know why I'm hung up on this because the only time this layout will likely be disassembled is when the wife and sons need to remove it after I kick-off.

How about just using 1/4 inch bolts and just bolt the section together, then there' no need for pins or other devices. My entire layout was build in square and rectangle sections of 1/4's bolted together to hold the sections together (Not unlike a mod layout). I used regular nuts instead of using wing nuts since I really tighten the sections together.

The back sections are attached to the 2X4 framing of the room's wall using 3 inch drywall screws and I use 2x2's for legs in the front, also bolted to the 1X4's.

I used large "C" clamps to hold the sections together while drilling the holes for the bolts. It's been together for years.

Greg

How about just using 1/4 inch bolts and just bolt the section together, then there' no need for pins or other devices. My entire layout was build in square and rectangle sections of 1/4's bolted together to hold the sections together (Not unlike a mod layout). I used regular nuts instead of using wing nuts since I really tighten the sections together.

The back sections are attached to the 2X4 framing of the room's wall using 3 inch drywall screws and I use 2x2's for legs in the front, also bolted to the 1X4's.

I used large "C" clamps to hold the sections together while drilling the holes for the bolts. It's been together for years.

Greg
Basically, ditto. About thirty-two years ago, we moved across town. I had built my layout in bolted-together sections, and unbolted them for the move. Unfortunately, I never had time to reassemble the layout and get it operating until about 20 years had past! The area in the basement where the sections were reposing, wound up being needed for other uses, so my wife and I decided to add a 14' x 28' addition to the house, half of which would be for a new model railroad layout! (The other half became a study for my wife's projects. I moved some of the old sections into the 14' x 14' room, modifying them as necessary to fit, and building new sections where necessary. I think I used 5/16" bolts, but 1/4" would have worked. I just happened to have the larger ones left over from the old layout. Of course, the new design required using the old track removed from the previous layout. Don't even worry about matching the ends of track from one section to the other. Just lay the roadbed and track across the joints. If you wind up moving or something, just cut the track where the sections come together. Totally different if you are making modules that will be transported to shows, etc.
Best of luck. Stay well and safe!

A club I once belonged to used hinges. One side of the hinge on each module. Pull the pins to take it all apart. This was a layout that was regularly taken down and reassembled at train shows. The hinges worked for years, in fact until we retired the layout. Before that modules were bolted together, which also worked, but was time intensive.
Very clever idea!

As I said, I felt I was a little hung-up on the alignment of my sections, seeing how my layout would likely never be taken apart and hauled anywhere, so I'm going to go with nuts and bolts to fasten them together. Probably don't even need wing nuts. Thanks for everyone's input!

As I said, I felt I was a little hung-up on the alignment of my sections, seeing how my layout would likely never be taken apart and hauled anywhere, so I'm going to go with nuts and bolts to fasten them together. Probably don't even need wing nuts. Thanks for everyone's input!

I just came to the same conclusion - I am going to just use regular nuts and bolts to join my module sections together.

I have a question for you: are you planning to make each module free-standing or will you share legs between adjacent modules. I am undecided - it seems feasible to share legs. Here is what I have built so far (I'm currently using small C clamps to join my modules but I am going to switch to nuts and bolts)

IMG_3467.jpeg

Back