Modern reefers?

NYSW F45

Just curious as i have not been able to find those armn reefers unless im internet blind. But does anyone make a modern mechanical reefer or should I just look at the older styles?

Also, a bit of ot here. Did UP ever patch any of the DRGW and CNW 86' double door box cars? I have 2 old bb kits that i just assembled and was going to use my airbrush on them for hte first time. I wanted to patch them accordingly, but i found 0 pics of the 2 road #'s.

and lastly, what is the difference between a C30-7 and a U30C?

Last edited by a moderator:
NO! they are not made. Closest thing was some 57' made by walthers a few years back. I posted this on the "other forum" because I have been looking for them myself. I have found the external refrigeration units but have not attempted to build one. I would love to see the ARMN and CRYO along with the newer Tropicana reefers.

The ARMN / CRYO reefers are a large part of the rail traffic in York, Pa where there are several large food storage warehouses.

I would love to try and get these made as I am sure at least a few hundred would sell!

showPicture.aspx

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kind of surprising that Walthers or Athearn haven't come out with with any hi-cube reefers yet. The trouble with kitbashing them is there's not even a very good boxcar to start with. Building one would be a real challenge.

Those are the ones alright. There is also the ones that have the generator tucked into the side of the boxcar. So if your not really paying attention it looks like a regular boxcar. I've seen these mostly on the UP.

As for my 2 boxcars, im in a rush and can't register just yet. Can anyone search DRGW 63995 and CNW 92027?

There was, for a short time, a BN Composite Reefer, available from a resin company. The company has since vanished along with the kit. However, you MIGHT be able to find traces of it somewhere.

Red Caboose has recently announced a 57' refigerator car in the "Pacific Fruit Express" paint scheme. It's listed as a future release with no date. Looks pretty good.
Tom
www.red-caboose.com

that reefer looks pretty modern, unless the drawing is misleading. I like the red caboose stuff that I see at my lhs. I might have to check it out when they arrive.

how hard would something like this be to kitbash?

I was thinking the same thing. I dont think it would be to hard as long as you could find a kit with the sides that was a match or close stand in. As far as the roof that would be a simple cut and file, add a new bulk head and model the reffer unit.
I would be willing to try if someone wants to custom order one. This is to modern for my railroad.

Looks to be almost an exact match to an Athearn 57' mechanical reefer. You'd just have to open up the sides and one roof panel and mount the refrigeration unit. Of course, Athearn discontinued this reefer last year so you'll have to find either a hobby shop that still has them or e-bay. :(

ATH7106-450.jpg

Back