Modern-day SPSF

modelmaker said:
Here's a "what if" I did for a friend a couple of years ago:

DH9011.png

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am in love :D that is the coolest loco i have seen :cool:

you guys should enter the photo contest there is some real nice work here

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments, everyone. I will be sure to keep you updated as I roll out more SPSF stock. Next on my list are converting a former Rock Island GP38-2 to the SPSF as a switcher unit for my Omaha yard, then I will be painting AC4400s.

TWhite, I use www.imageshack.us to host my photos. Since I haven't figured out how to resize my photos on my new computer yet, they stay the large size.

Old 97, dthurman, et al: those people fell from heart attacks when they saw the colorful kodachromes pounding the rails! Actually, since I use the club layout, you never know what's going on. Guess I could lend a hand and set them back up.

And yes, passenger trains - both Amtrak and our own executive fleet - always run on time on my railroad!!

I added a few more photos on the first page.

And by the way, here is the SPSF system map.
spsfmaplr0vz.jpg

Our headquarters is downtown Chicago, 21 South Clark Street (former Bank One Plaza)
It's the white building just to the right of LaSalle Street Station, only about 3 blocks away.
img59795sv.jpg

If you look closely, one of our business trains is sitting inside the station!
aaimg59804ql.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that last picture LOL

I see you run into Peoria IL? We may have to work out some interchange agreements.

Um, did the SP decide to just drop all of northern California and Oregon off it's system when it merged?

It could have been disected by the ICC/STB as part of a merger, I would think the UP or BN would have gotten some of the northern routes.

David is right - I explained that in the first page, an edit I did earlier today.

And yes, I do run into Peoria.

Well the WPG runs from Villa Grove to Prairie City, both in Illinois, connecting the UP on the east and looks like your line in the west. We offer great bridge routing :)

On a serious note, where did you find your map? I ahve been wanting to get a decent map for my freelance RR. Do you have a website setup yet to show the SPSF? I like the idea of putting a "real" railroad feel to the model world. I need to get my site done, put up the interchange rules, rules for railfans to take pictures, sales dept etc. I think it adds to the whole illusion. Just another part of operations almost, I think I may even post the frequency we use ;)

Hope you didn't take our teasing the wrong way on the down-fallen people...

I just made a map on my own, after about 6 months of drawing potential routes on copies of an old 1985 Rio Grande map, which had about every railroad around then. Once I figure it out, I photographed the map, put it in Adobe Illustrator, and drew a new layer of clean lines and inserted a better US map. It was a pretty long process.

I have started a website on my Geocities site, www.geocities.com/burlingtonstation - but it is far from complete.

No problem about the fallen people - it's already a joke on my railroad! And your bridge route does sound very attractive...

Back