Modeling a Prototype

402drvr

Hi folks,

I have asked a few questions along this line before but here is a specific one. I would like, eventually, to model the Berkshire subdivision of the CSX Boston and Albany Line. I am imaining a two tiered, point to point layout connected with a helix at the end of a peninsula with the rest of the layout running along the walls. The room I have is 9' by 20'. Obviously not everything from the prototype will make the cut but I will need ample mainline run in order to properly model the highlights I want. Planning on the project taking quite a few years to complete.

So the question is, how would one obtain a track plan for a prototype. I am looking for something with details of where the line is a single main or double main, and other such features along the way. My goal is to build a layout which i could operate on my own with continuous running (due to some modifications to the prototype) but could also use in an operating session with friends. I figure modeling the real thing would give me the most realistic operating environment.

Thanks for any info.

I model Conrail and Have a complete ZTS book from 1989. I don't know if CSX uses the Conrail track or not but I could probably scan the area you are interested in. Or if you want I bought it from http://www.railfandepot.com they have a bunch of good resources for sale.

CSX's track should still be the same as when conrail left it to them on D-Day. (the detector at Ashland still says conrail :D )

I found some trackcharts that were actually free so that was very helpful. The only thing which seemed strange was that there is a section where the track goes down to a single main line in the area of Chester, Ma. The track chart still shows it as a double main line. I am not that meticulous to the detail that it is a big deal. i will probably consider that to be the area for the helix as a double line helix would eat up more room than I have.

Thanks for the info.

how old is the track chart? the New York Central started ripping up tracks for tax purposes before Conrail took over. For example, the track at CP47 was triple tracked at one point, but now is double tracked up to MP48 where it goes down to single track.

EMail me at MGWSY@aol.com and I will send you the ZTS Chart and other charts for the area. I am planning on modeling CP 109 - CP 79 (Westfield - Brimfield) Eventually. I have drawn close to scale track plans for Westfield including the PV yard, Trap Rock, Springfield Station, Athol and Hampden branches (Athol Industrial and Monsanto Branch), and Palmer MA including the NECR and Mass Central yards from RT 20 Overpass to Hospital RD on the NECR. Now I just have to finish West Springfield Yard and connect the rest with double track and single track main. I know Model RR had a B&A layout plan that might help you out. I can send that to.

Back