(MLW) RS-23 or (GMD) GMD1 in HO?

The GMD-1 used to be available in brass back in the late 70's early-mid 80's. I had a couple when I was in my teens but that was many years ago and the exact name eludes me. I'll see what I can find out from my Dad, he will have notes somewhere that will tell more details.

The RS23 was available in brass from Van Hobbies but is long out of production. The last one I seen was on Ebay and went for $1600. Point One models had one but it is also out of production. They come up once in a while on Ebay and usually go around the $300 mark. Canadian Model Locomotive Works announced one a few years ago and it is still on thier website but nothing seems to be happening with it. you could shoot them an email and see what they have to say about it. There is always the chance that Rapido may put out one as well. Jason will need a few for his layout. Here is the link to CMLW http://www.cmlw.ca/CMLW Products/MLWRS23.asp

A GMD1 is actually an engine on my list to kit bash someday. I have seen some in brass, but they are WAY out of my price range.

Thanks everyone.

I figured these two uncommon Canadian-built units may not be popular enough to justify regular production. It is too bad; the GMD1 is a pretty interesting character. The Overland model in the green and yellow is a beauty. It must be out of production because it is not featured on their website.

I am planning to model prairie grain operations and both railroads used these engines for service on lighter branchlines. In my hometown, the Ontario Southland Railway bought a few ex-CP RS-23's and they run a trio of them regularly. They are an awesome sight!

Point 1 models made a model a couple years ago. Kaslo took it over but who knows what happened to them?
There is a brass one on Ebay right now (just search gmd-1)

Try googling gmd-1 and you can find a couple others that are trying to kitbash one.
My plan is to use two athearn SW1000 shells and two sw7 cabs. The sw1000 has the numberboards on the ends that the gmd-1 has. The radiator has to be reworked , probably by subbing an athearn sw7 one and filling the rest.
The two cabs will need to be spliced to create the 'double front' on the GMD-1.
The real stumbling block is the trucks. The A-1-A trucks are unique to the GMD-1. Subbing RSC-3 trucks from either Kato or P1k.will probably give you the right size but the sideframes are wrong. Some build it with the later rebuild with the B-B trucks (or the few that were built with B-B trucks and steam gen) . Here Athearn gp-7/9 trucks can be used and you can also use the Geep frame (stretched)

I'm currently collecting the parts for the project.

Kaslo is still in business, but not producing. Just send an email to jwhitmore<AT> shaw.ca with your needs.

Yes, both the RS23 and the GMD1 were available from Point1 models...good luck finding them...those who have them build them or hoard them.

My dad built an RS23 using an Atlas RS3 as a starting point. You need to cut down the frame (obviously) and scratchbuild the longhood. it is an excellent little engine, but runs without flywheels tho, and can't pull alot because of lack of space for weight.

A Brass GMD-1 just sold on 'the 'bay' for 425.00 with 30 bids. I wonder if trueline trains or Rapido would be looking at this and figuring there might be a market for one in plastic.

I wonder if trueline trains or Rapido would be looking at this and figuring there might be a market for one in plastic.

Not sure about Trueline Trains, but I will ask Rapido today if they would ever seriously consider doing either of these. They are going to be at my local hobby shop today between 3:30 and 5:30. I would love to own both of these myself.

Well the Good news, Rapido will be doing an RS23 at some point.

The Bad news, they have no intention at this point of making a GMD1u. Although Jason from Rapido did make a comment to (I apologize but his name eludes me right now) the owner of Trueline that if he made one, they would sell. He chuckled and said he would add it to his list.

Trueline by the way for those of you that didn't know have announced that they will be producing the RS18u in some well know Canadian schemes.

Anyway I got to see first hand and hold production samples of the new Truelines MP40PH-3C and Rapido’s LRC and FP9a locomotives which are amazingly detailed compared to what is currently available. Both samples were very smooth running at the lowest possible speed one could imagine. Jason also showed 3D blueprints for the Canadian which had some amazing details both on top of and under the locomotive. The car details that Rapido puts into its models, has to be seen first hand to be believed.

One interesting thing that Jason mentioned about the new FP9A is that the etched radiator grills have a “C” channel in them that locks them in place. This prevent that all too common wavy grill and lifting that occurs with other FP7 and FP9 models during temperature changes.

Anyway before I start to sound like I work for the company (too late), I will end with saying, what a great bunch of guys from Rapido and Trueline Trains. If they come to your local hobby shop and you have a chance to meet them, you won't be disappointed. :D

Well the Good news, Rapido will be doing an RS23 at some point.

The Bad news, they have no intention at this point of making a GMD1u. Although Jason from Rapido did make a comment to (I apologize but his name eludes me right now) the owner of Trueline that if he made one, they would sell. He chuckled and said he would add it to his list.

Trueline by the way for those of you that didn't know have announced that they will be producing the RS18u in some well know Canadian schemes.

Anyway I got to see first hand and hold production samples of the new Truelines MP40PH-3C and Rapido’s LRC and FP9a locomotives which are amazingly detailed compared to what is currently available. Both samples were very smooth running at the lowest possible speed one could imagine. Jason also showed 3D blueprints for the Canadian which had some amazing details both on top of and under the locomotive. The car details that Rapido puts into its models, has to be seen first hand to be believed.

One interesting thing that Jason mentioned about the new FP9A is that the etched radiator grills have a “C” channel in them that locks them in place. This prevent that all too common wavy grill and lifting that occurs with other FP7 and FP9 models during temperature changes.

Anyway before I start to sound like I work for the company (too late), I will end with saying, what a great bunch of guys from Rapido and Trueline Trains. If they come to your local hobby shop and you have a chance to meet them, you won't be disappointed. :D

Well I'm excited to hear that they are making a RS18U. Is there a difference between an RS18U and a RS18? I don't understand what the "U" is.
Why I ask is I'm wanting an RS18 that looks like this. This would be ideal for the branchline I want to model.I'm hoping the RS18u is not just a CP diesel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm excited to hear that they are making a RS18U. Is there a difference between an RS18U and a RS18? I don't understand what the "U" is.
Why I ask is I'm wanting an RS18 that looks like this. This would be ideal for the branchline I want to model.I'm hoping the RS18u is not just a CP diesel.

From what I understand and someone will correct me if I am wrong but the electrical systems are the major difference between the two. The RS18's has a static excitation system from the MLW factory where as the CP rebuilt units made use of the newer G.E. Type E excitation electrical system. Unfortunately for your needs they also chopped the hood during this conversion.

Here is a link to the announcement; it is halfway down the page.

http://www.truelinetrains.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=70

Being a N&W modeler myself I can understand your needs and desire for high hoods.:D

asthetically, the RS18u has a chopped nose, more vertical step wells and a handful or minor surface detail changes.

Brad is correct, there was a modular 'card' system used in the U's electrical system that made it more repair-friendly.

To backdate the TLT RS18u to a standard as-built MLW RS18 would require as much work as using an Atlas RS32/RS11 as the basis for an RS18...

Its too bad the LL RS18 was screwed up, coulda solved all our woes...

Back