Mitch's N Scale

In addition to the other comments, remember that your railroad is a model and due to space constraints some creative license is allowed.

It is always helpful to look at the prototypes and select the elements that will work for you.

Williston.jpg

Here is Williston, ND. I spent a lot of time sitting at this depot waiting for Amtrak and watched operations there. Here we have the passenger station right on the north side of the track and they did interchange operations on the other tracks. Some cars were stored there temporarily as well. It was never this full when I was there. At each end, a mile or two west direction, it becomes one track, on the east side it looks like two tracks leading to Epping (the next town).

Finally, progress!! As promised, here are some pics!!

sgsx08.jpg
21ott9w.jpg

v5bj4l.jpg
34oufzr.jpg

I haven't laid any track yet, so currently my rolling stock is photographed sitting on the cork roadbed... but I'm glad I've made a positive start. Let me know what you guys think of my buildings and weathering. Some buildings are just stock-standard kits but I enjoy detailing with paints and powders. I should also add I haven't got around to repairing the awning on the feed mill yet... Hahaha

Thanks!

Mitch

Looks real nice Mitch. Having structures already built will be a big help when it comes time to start laying track. Some impressive structures.

Thanks for the comments - they're very encouraging. Every structure on the layout except one is hand painted and weathered with brushes, acrylic paints and powders. Bar the single exception, nothing has been sprayed or airbrushed. I've always questioned my techniques, so your comments really mean a lot!!

I started a Central Valley truss bridge kit today and it's looking amazing. There will be two signature bridges parallel to each other on the layout. I'm trying to model two different types of bridge to reflect the different engineering departments of the two separate railroads. I've decided on designs, and I'm very excited for this to be a major focal point.

Here's what's been done so far.

2vnqosg.jpg

Thanks again!!

There will be two signature bridges parallel to each other on the layout. I'm trying to model two different types of bridge to reflect the different engineering departments of the two separate railroads. I've decided on designs, and I'm very excited for this to be a major focal point

In my opinion, you have some real big things going for you in your track planning endeavour. One, you have a lot of your buildings already. This really lets your trackwork service the industries most appropriately!

Two, you have a story as indicated by your bridge project.

Really looking forward to your progress!

Hey guys, I thought I'd just give a little update on my whereabouts and my layout's progress.

I suffer from anxiety, and unfortunately these past few weeks and months have been really tough. I'm comfortable in disclosing this because I believe awareness is important. I've had days where I haven't wanted to see friends or family, or even leave my bedroom. Being unable to find employment and losing a lot of self confidence are major contributors to my condition. To some, this sounds ridiculous. But to others, this hits close to home. But to all, thank you for understanding.

It means that my model railway progress has stalled. I have struggled to find motivation, but I'm glad to say things are looking up at long last. I've been offered a job in a field which I will be very comfortable in, after being unemployed for almost twelve months. I'm glad to say my bad days are over and every day, things seem a little brighter.

Hopefully I'll be back in the swing of things soon, and I'm sure I'll have pics to post when this happens.

Mitch

Hey guys, I thought I'd just give a little update on my whereabouts and my layout's progress.

I suffer from anxiety, and unfortunately these past few weeks and months have been really tough. I'm comfortable in disclosing this because I believe awareness is important. I've had days where I haven't wanted to see friends or family, or even leave my bedroom. Being unable to find employment and losing a lot of self confidence are major contributors to my condition. To some, this sounds ridiculous. But to others, this hits close to home. But to all, thank you for understanding.

It means that my model railway progress has stalled. I have struggled to find motivation, but I'm glad to say things are looking up at long last. I've been offered a job in a field which I will be very comfortable in, after being unemployed for almost twelve months. I'm glad to say my bad days are over and every day, things seem a little brighter.

Hopefully I'll be back in the swing of things soon, and I'm sure I'll have pics to post when this happens.

Mitch

We are with you. My family presents a spectrum of hurdles in the same order, but somehow we make it through. I have to admit that having the trains is a welcome distraction.

Dave LASM

Mitch, Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your job. The art of distraction is a wonderful thing, and I think we all know how model trains can keep us busy for hours. My positive thoughts and prayers are with you, and I look forward to seeing your layout progress.
Regards,
D.A.

Glad to see you back Mitch. Must be some trying times. Glad to see you found employment. I have a number of friends who have had the same problem with the economy the way it is. Hope you visit on a regular basis when you have time.

Mitch,

Just been catching up on your post and new layout - it is impressive! Have to say I like your roster too, especially the Amtraks I take it they are the Kato variety?

That is going to be one heck of a layout to run on DC though and hope you can migrate to DCC in the not too distant future, I think you'll go nuts when you do with such a great fleet to run. By the way, your not alone when it comes to being apprehensive about DCC. For what it's worth, DCC can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it and with a "good starter system" (ie NCE) I think your apprehension will dissolve pretty quickly.

On a final note, getting work is tough so it has to be a huge relief to have it again and I am certain that will help with other problems. I also have to feel for you and your anxiety issue, that can't be good. Just keep in mind that these forums, or more to the point the people in these forums are brilliant and it is a good place to un wind, loose the stress and be able to relax a bit.

Take care mate and look forward to following your work.

Thanks everyone for your kind works. It's been another sleepless night but I've been track planning and it's kept me happy.

Have to say I like your roster too, especially the Amtraks I take it they are the Kato variety?

Wombat, they are Kato models!! I'm a bit obsessed with P42s, it would seem. I have 10, which is actually a fifth of my total roster!! I have 3 Phase III, 1 Phase IV, 2 Phase V, 3 Phase Vb, and 1 Phase I Heritage, all Kato. Enjoy the pics - the last photo is yours truly with the Coast Starlight in November 2014.

rcpw.jpg

v83691.jpg

qzqayu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunset,

I only have the one P42 but really like it. The Kato really does have some pulling power as well, especially for a smallish engine. One of these days, I might see one in person.

Hey guys!

A trip to Hobbyrama on Sunday has granted me some inspiration. I purchased more cork and rail joiners, but also this little gem that I thought I'd share:

osbatw.jpg

Thought I'd share. I'm a massive fan of Dash 8's, and this is my third in service. The shop misplaced its case, and the search further discovered it was an unsold item from a few years back. The shop reduced its price from $160 to $99 to thank me for my patience and custom. The little guy still runs like a gem!!

Mitch

Back