Mitch's N Scale

SunsetLimited

Enjoy the Journey
Hey everyone, I just thought I'd be bold and show off some of my N Scale Roster and previous layouts. They said this forum loves photos, so here goes. :p

30mamx4.jpg

iwp5wy.jpg

9s71mo.jpg

2dhvji1.jpg

ddyjrq.jpg

2w597v7.jpg

4qhsee.jpg

2uz5r9t.jpg

v5k12e.jpg

Let me know if you'd like more photos. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply to the thread or send me a private message. Enjoy!!

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice stuff, Mitch! I am glad you posted! Wonder if you are working on a layout now or are willing to show us a track plan you are contemplating?

Benchwork Design

Really nice stuff, Mitch! I am glad you posted! Wonder if you are working on a layout now or are willing to show us a track plan you are contemplating?

I haven't actually got a track plan as such, I'm more just sketching and erasing ideas directly onto the benchwork surfaces. I do have a photo of the benchwork though. It's not fully complete, but it's a start. It's an unusual design because I didn't want to go through the expense of entirely brand new benchwork, and my old layout is quite permanent. I realised I would rather be shot between the thighs with some kind of gun that fires cacti then spend hours and hours slowly chipping away at ancient liquid nails, cork, gravel and plaster left over from the previous layout's surfaces...

I turned to the CPR's Stoney Creek Bridge predicament for inspiration, and the new layout has been built over the top of the old layout. The design means the new surface can be cut away leaving the old surface as a base for land form depressions, creeks, rivers, etc. Once the layout benchwork is complete and the fascia is installed, the old layout remains will be completely boxed in and hidden from view. It's kind of like a cross between a Shelf Layout, Cookie Cutter Benchwork, and an N Scale Mausoleum.

Here's some pics:

ka1k3p.jpg

This picture is from when I was building my previous layout. It gives an idea of the original design of the benchwork, and how the brackets have been constructed. It also shows the backdrop and the early stages of the light box a bit, too. I'm fortunate to have a father who constructed the original brackets and assisted with the backdrop at the time. He's a perfectionist though, I swear the brackets were designed to support real trains!!
___________________________________________________________________________________

63rfit.jpg

This was the first 'riser' as such installed. The old layout had two extensions to allow for loops which formed a folded dogbone type of layout. The new layout will be bridged across the front and the height of the layout, being a shelf layout, means only a duckunder was necessary as opposed to lift out sections. The upper brackets are from my previous layout's light box. I plan retain the brackets and rebuild the entire light box to a higher standard.
___________________________________________________________________________________

977hoi.jpg

This is how the layout is currently. I purchased brand new 7mm plywood and had it cut to size at the local timber and hardware shop (Good ol' Bunnings, for you Australians). The ply was attached to pine risers which I spaced randomly apart, and oriented in random directions. This was necessary given the uneven surface of plaster, gravel, foam and other modelling bits and pieces still present from the previous layout. I'm pleased to say the spacing and random placement of the pine risers has only positively impacted the strength and rigidity of the new ply surface.

Most of the ply has been attached with liquid nails. I tend to try and avoid steel nails or screws if I can in my construction. Once I hammered in a nail on the old layout and the force reverberated through the wall that the shelf was attached to, and knocked the lounge room clock off the wall!!

Some tidying up is evident between the two photos... Usually if I put something neatly away, I forget where I've put it and can never find it again!!

Hope you guys like it,

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff Mitch, I always enjoy seeing photos.
BTW how did you get more that 4 photos to upload? Or is that multiple posts?
Thanks,

I use a website called TinyPic that reduces the size of each photo and converts them to an image code. I type in the image code to the post and the pictures appear. :D

I'm not using DCC at the moment, no. It's gonna be one hell of an expense and a lot of hours when it does come time to start converting my fleet though!!

This would probably be a wise investment for me. Though I know absolutely nothing about DCC programing or decoders...

This would probably be a wise investment for me. Though I know absolutely nothing about DCC programing or decoders...

Ah, that explains your apprehension about becoming involved in a club. The RMCQ is all dedicated DCC (NCE), no DC at all now. AMRA have both on the main HO layouts (are being dragged kicking and screaming) and the small N scale (in the building stage) will remain DC (if the sole builder has anything to do with it).

For yourself, yes the expense of converting that fleet would be large, especially if you wanted sound. But on the other hand, as you are building a new layout, this is a good time to plan for it.

There is another system that is looking very interesting (at the moment only available in HO but are looking at N) called Rail Pro, a fully radio control system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGx7lQC2-0Y

I've looked into Rail Pro a couple of years back, but with no N Scale products, I quickly dismissed the idea, at least for now.

BUMP!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've started laying track on my new layout.

Watch this space - I'm hoping to post pictures within the next week or so.

Mitch

Nice roster, and look forward to seeing how your layout progresses. I've got quite an extensive loco roster also, and I feel your pain on doing the DCC. It's not cheap. But I've been chipping away at it a few locos at a time. It's definitely worth it for the operational advantages and wiring/operation simplicity. As long as you don't need every loco you own operating right this minute, the incremental install plan works fine.

I love the idea of RailPro, but I can't really imagine it ever being widespread in N-scale. I guess it depends on how much extra space their transmitter will consume, but I can't imagine it being negligible. I have a feeling in the end it will be workable in whichever locos have room for it, but a whole lot of stuff just won't. Then you're left with either discarding part of your roster and forgoing older models or having some mixed system which doesn't make any sense. I do envy HO and larger the space they have to work with on electronics sometimes. In the end, though, I'd rather have 4x the layout.

I HAVE STALLED IN MY PLANS AGAIN!!

Yards frustrate me, especially interchange yards. I get it in my head that every track needs to be accessible by every railroad, and my yards end up looking like a post-explosion spaghetti dinner served in a spider's web...

My nickname in many circles has always been Puppy, and now everyone just refers to complex yards and junctions as "Puppy Yards".......

Any tips or plans for an interchange yard for a layout of my size and theme?

Thanks guys.

How much real estate you've got for it will usually be the defining factor, whether the yard will be just for arriving trains, classifying (marshalling) them to other trains and then departing, or whether the yard will also be used to service associated industries, requiring spotting of cars on sidings and switching of those industries to and from the main yard's classification track/s.

Many interchange yards are not really yards, but a simple set of parallel sidings where trains are exchanged. Three tracks can be sufficient. Railroad "A" arrives on track #1, usually a main line, parks its train on track #2, (sometimes it's a passing siding for railroad "A") and either clears out of the way or goes back home. Railroad "B" arrives and parks it's train on track #3, moves over to track #1 to make a runaround, backs up to the train on track #2 and leaves. If railroad "A" has waited, then they go pick up the train on track #3 and go back to the classification yard. There's an interchange near me between BNSF and KCS that sees daily action. It takes no more than 20 minutes or so depending on how much time the crews spend chatting with one another and exchanging paperwork. In many cases though, one or the other has to wait until the second train arrives.
Willie

Back