Micro Mark scewed up.......

PrairieKnight

I ordered an HO prairie co-op structure kit from Micro Mark last week. I ordered over the phone and got an email confirmation of my order. I was so excited when my wife handed me the box that was left on the porch. But when I opened the box, I found a nice little Bachmann Spectrum HO GE 45 ton switcher. a very nice little DCC unit. I looked it up in the catalog that came in the box and it cost double what I paid for my kit. I called the 800 number on the order form and Micro Mark was closed for the day. I will call back tomorrow.

As surprised as I was when I opened the box, I can well imagine the frown on the person that orderd this switcher and received my co-op kit.

This is the first order I ever placed with Micro Mark. Has anyone had to deal with Micro Mark customer service on this type of incident before?

I won't order from them again. I ordered a special tool from them, for a specific job, on their recommendation. What I got wasn't what I ordered, and for about a week, I kept getting, "it wasn't our fault, you made the mistake", etc. I finally called my Bank and told them what had happened, and they stopped payment on the CC. Then MM called me back, all apologetic, but too late. I returned the tool, they threatened to charge me a "restocking fee". I informed them that that would do them no good. I had told the bank not to accept any charges from MM unless I personally authorized it.

I bought the tool on the recommendation that it was the tool that I needed for the job, from their technical people, and come to find out it wasn't even close. This took about a month to straighten out. Others can do what they want, but I'll never again order anything from them. I felt that I was lied too, blamed for the whole episode, and then I needed to pay for "my mistake" with a restocking fee.

I will continue to order things like specialty tools through my LHS and he knows not to get them from MM for me. I've never bought a "wrong" tool since.

I just got a new Micro Mark catalog in the mail. They have some unique items- I'll give them credit for that. However, the big fail for me is their pricing. It seems to me that their pricing is waaaaaay off base. I purchased a saw that they're advertising for something like $75.00 from Harbor Freight for about $25.00. Glad I didn't spend the big $$, it wasn't as capable as I thought.

Like FCWilt, I've bought many things from MM and never had a problem. But also, like RailRunner, I've NOT bought things from them because I can find it at a cheaper (sometimes much cheaper) price elsewhere.

Quick update....

I just talked to Micro Mark on the phone. The woman was very apologetic and very helpful. They are going to send the kit I originally ordered along with a prepaid shipping label to send back the item I received by mistake.

When you find a large disparity in price be aware that there are often multiple sources in China, Taiwan, India, etc for a given item and while the item may look the same the quality can be different. Research carefully.

Quick update....

I just talked to Micro Mark on the phone. The woman was very apologetic and very helpful. They are going to send the kit I originally ordered along with a prepaid shipping label to send back the item I received by mistake.

I would have taken her apology and regret more securely had she offered to investigate their error and then report to me what the outcome was, including what changes/sanctions they had imposed on the errant staff or their handling policies. Something went off the rails badly, and a simple apology would not cut it with me. I'd want more meat.

I would have been happier had they said to keep the mistake as reparation for the inconvenience and accept the item you ordered as better late than never.

I placed two orders with Micro Mark when I first starting doing my scratch built structures and had NOTHING BUT problems with them.

1. Their shipping IS woeful, and that is being kind.
2. Their customer service is fully trained in "it's every one elses fault EXCEPT ours" problem solving techniques.
3. They have more excuses for THEIR screw ups than any other company I have dealt with.

I will NEVER deal with Micro Mark again for anything and (even though out of character for me) STRONGLY advise everyone to steer well clear of them unless you want to be screwed around and deceived, then be treated by them as if it is YOUR fault.

No complaints.....I have been ordering from them for about 15 years....some years multiple orders some years just one or maybe two orders. Never ever had a problem....I've always recieved exactly what I ordered in a reasonable time-frame.

somebody screwed up. it would be nice if they let you keep it, but the right thing to do would be to send it back. you could have said nothing and just ordered another co-op kit.

Wright,

I agree with you...it would be nice if they let me keep the switcher. I thought about not saying anything when I opened the box. But I would hate to be the person that opened a box and found a 30 dollar kit when I ordered a 75 dollar switcher. I hope that person is taken care of as well. And like you said.. doing it this way is the right thing to do. But having said all that..... Micro Mark has one chance to send me the right kit and follow through with sending me the prepaid shipping label to return the switcher. If they don't get it right this time..:rolleyes:

Back