Michigan Central UNLIMITED

It is nice to have the highly detailed locomotives and rolling stock that is available now. Years back I would spend hours detailing and painting locomotives and rolling stock. Today it is available off of the shelf.

The out of the box Athearn locomotive, which at the time I started my layout may have had little or no details parts. Look at the locomotives on the market now with grab irons, lift rings, and so many fine details that would have to have been added years ago. Modern plastic ready to run locomotives have details that could only be found on brass locomotives years ago. I will admit that I had plenty of practice installing detail parts and also learned how to run an airbrush really well trying to achieve what we can get right out of the box today.

I am still old school when it comes to power, still operating DC only. Being that I am a lone operator, and built my layout for switching, I rarely run more than one locomotive at a time. No need to.

I have operated on very large home and club layouts while visiting out of state friends and there would be no way to operate the way they do without DCC. We have had operating sessions with over 20 trains running at one time. Quite a challenge, but a lot of fun working with dispatchers and trying to keep trains moving.

Sound ? That I can do without personally. I have a couple of sound locomotives that I run from time to time and after a while it can be annoying. At operating sessions with my out of state friends it really became annoying with multiple trains all running at the same time, many of them turned up way too loud. Got hard to hear the dispatcher at times. For me sound is a bit of a novelty. If the grand kids come over I'll run a sound locomotive for them or if friends come over and want to see the trains run. When I'm operating my layout I'll usually have the radio on or have a tape playing any way. I can do without it, but then I didn't pay big bucks for my locomotives either.

I really enjoy the forum also to see what others are doing with their layouts and look at photos. It have given me ideas which I can incorporate into my own layout. Visits with my MRR friends in Missouri are always interesting. There are two club layouts and three large home layouts that we usually run on while I am visiting and from these people I have learned a lot over the years, but in turn I have been able to help them also. Nothing like exchanging ideas.

This forum has without a doubt made this layout more than it would have been with no 'guidance'!

I would not have purchased the particular loco's I've gotten either without the information obtained here.

My main deciding factor was looks but other considerations were brought to my attention by actual 'operators'.

The amount of detail I noticed from the last time I held an HO loco was AMAZING! I'm afraid to TOUCH these BLI'S, they are not 'models' they are works of ART! And the 'Big Boy' Riv is just OUT of this world! The sheer mechanics of the Steamers has always been a grabber on me, watching the rods and driving wheels work together to transfer the POWER has a particular appeal.

BUTT!! There is NO feeling like being near a BIG Diesel (or several!) revving up those engines! No choice but to be a 'transition era' guy. LOL!

Lots of 'switching action' is what I want to see as well as long continuous runnings, with this space I should be able to have all the layouts I ever wanted all on one table! The 'best of both' is what I'm going for.

Even though it has been a lifelong dream to have a layout and I HAD a small set before, I kinda feel like an 'interloper', just showing up with burning desire and a hand full of money does NOT make me an expert! I'm a "Humble Bumble"! when it comes to even the simplest things related to the 'new' way ala DCC, and SCENERY? I can barely write my own name let alone paint like some of y'all do! Yea, I got this big table, now I gotta figure out what to DO with it!

We were all novices at one time when we got into the hobby. I had a large N scale layout before I went into HO scale back in the late 70's. Had over 11 scale miles of main line track, but back then the locomotives were garbage compared to what is available today. Tore it out and moved on to HO scale. One thing that really bothered me about N scale was the over size rail, 2 feet tall, so I used code 70 rail being that the plan for my layout wasn't going to be running large locomotives. Really like the looks.

When I came to scenery, I was really intimidated. I had scenery on my N scale layout, but it rally wasn't the best, but it was better than no scenery at all. There is a learning curve when it comes to scenery. There was another model railroad friend here in Montana that I visited on a regular basis. Unfortunately he passed away a number of years back, but he showed me a few methods that he used. I also experimented. Some projects came out good, and some had to be completely done over. As the layout moved ahead, my skills improved.

Look at Curt and Garrys layout for instance. Fantastic work. Don't want to leave anyone out, but they are just two that come to mind. Looking at what they have done have given me ideas. Lynn has really done great work on his layout. Better than anything I can do, but I have learned from numerous posts here on the forum and will apply that to older parts of my layout when I get around to refreshing older parts of the layout. I love to get into details and mini scenes that really add interest to the layout. Again, many ideas from forum members and MRR magazines. Look at the difference in Ken's D&J layout. Just adding a bit of terrain, hills and tunnels have made such an improvement over just a bare layout.

I love to watch a layout come together from scratch. I'll be watching yours like a hawk.

......................... like a hawk.
You called..........LOL

I agree with montanan

I'm 56 and a year ago, all I knew about trains is having walked on tracks when I was 5 and my mother told me that I took the train when I was 2. So I started this hobby with a knowledge of "zero". Now that it's been a year into the hobby, I'm starting all over, but this time, with better knowledge (little bit over zero.....lol).

This place has help me tremendously, lots of people with great help and ideas, all you need to do is ask.

Now I need to get back to finishing my basement so I can get started.
I will also be following your progress.

Enjoy

You called..........LOL

I agree with montanan

I'm 56 and a year ago, all I knew about trains is having walked on tracks when I was 5 and my mother told me that I took the train when I was 2. So I started this hobby with a knowledge of "zero". Now that it's been a year into the hobby, I'm starting all over, but this time, with better knowledge (little bit over zero.....lol).

This place has help me tremendously, lots of people with great help and ideas, all you need to do is ask.

Now I need to get back to finishing my basement so I can get started.
I will also be following your progress.

Enjoy

I'll trade looking forlornly all over the countryside for lumber over THAT phase ANY time! "God-speed, John Glenn"!

Once I get a cover on this thing...I'll be dumping stuff on the floor and moaning about track/wiring bafflements!

I CAN'T wait!

We were all novices at one time when we got into the hobby. I had a large N scale layout before I went into HO scale back in the late 70's. Had over 11 scale miles of main line track, but back then the locomotives were garbage compared to what is available today. Tore it out and moved on to HO scale. One thing that really bothered me about N scale was the over size rail, 2 feet tall, so I used code 70 rail being that the plan for my layout wasn't going to be running large locomotives. Really like the looks.

When I came to scenery, I was really intimidated. I had scenery on my N scale layout, but it rally wasn't the best, but it was better than no scenery at all. There is a learning curve when it comes to scenery. There was another model railroad friend here in Montana that I visited on a regular basis. Unfortunately he passed away a number of years back, but he showed me a few methods that he used. I also experimented. Some projects came out good, and some had to be completely done over. As the layout moved ahead, my skills improved.

Look at Curt and Garrys layout for instance. Fantastic work. Don't want to leave anyone out, but they are just two that come to mind. Looking at what they have done have given me ideas. Lynn has really done great work on his layout. Better than anything I can do, but I have learned from numerous posts here on the forum and will apply that to older parts of my layout when I get around to refreshing older parts of the layout. I love to get into details and mini scenes that really add interest to the layout. Again, many ideas from forum members and MRR magazines. Look at the difference in Ken's D&J layout. Just adding a bit of terrain, hills and tunnels have made such an improvement over just a bare layout.

I love to watch a layout come together from scratch. I'll be watching yours like a hawk.

This most excellent bench work I've been lucky enough to finagle out of my very good friend is the only reason I'm showing anything to the 'public'. LOL!

The sheer longevity potential of these things is enough of a challenge to daunt the brave!

I'll will of course post some pics of my ongoing shenanigans and maybe try a video SOME day.

I started in the hobby as an armchair model railroader reading MR and MRC for a number of years....then in 2000 I was recovering from lung surgery and a couple of side issues so decided that getting into model railroading would be therapeutic and help pass the time...so went to the hobby-shop and bought a number of the Kalmbach books on building a model railroad,wiring,benchwork,painting etc...about a year later stumbled onto a couple of online-forums and that was all she wrote.

Nowadays, between all the various online sources of information like this and hundreds of other forums, various groups,blogs etc and the various books and magazines available, I don't think we in the hobby have ever had as much easy knowledge and know-how available to us as now.

I started in the hobby as an armchair model railroader reading MR and MRC for a number of years....then in 2000 I was recovering from lung surgery and a couple of side issues so decided that getting into model railroading would be therapeutic and help pass the time...so went to the hobby-shop and bought a number of the Kalmbach books on building a model railroad,wiring,benchwork,painting etc...about a year later stumbled onto a couple of online-forums and that was all she wrote.

Nowadays, between all the various online sources of information like this and hundreds of other forums, various groups,blogs etc and the various books and magazines available, I don't think we in the hobby have ever had as much easy knowledge and know-how available to us as now.

Without this forum...

No WAY it would have looked like THIS!
WIN_20151007_214111.JPGView from one 'pit' to the other and the last piece of the 4 footer is in place, a couple legs and 'tweak' the level.

WIN_20151007_214308.JPGLooking back at where the other shot was shot from waaaaay over there!

The search for the apparently elusive (evidently because I NEED it!) 5/8 inch thick Multi Density Fiberboard begins! Lowes SAYS they carry it, we shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow new guy, simply awesome!

I am not sure why you want MDF, but if the CEO(you) says so, then that is what you get!

You may be able to buy it online and have it shipped to the store for free.

Thanks for sharing your project!

Wow new guy, simply awesome!

I am not sure why you want MDF, but if the CEO(you) says so, then that is what you get!

You may be able to buy it online and have it shipped to the store for free.

Thanks for sharing your project!

Thanks.

Well I have not made any HUGE mistakes yet so maybe the mdf is it, options still are open as to materials.

You've gone a long way very quickly , well done. have you drawn up a trackplan at all? Are you going to use risers perhaps 1x3 for the track?

You've gone a long way very quickly , well done. have you drawn up a trackplan at all? Are you going to use risers perhaps 1x3 for the track?

Thanks! I'm blessed with EXPERT help!

All will be sheeted at 'elevation zero' LARGE yards need flatness.

My track plan only goes as far as I'm planning to lay track. A yard and a long double line around the perimeter to run on while the 'interior' takes shape is the closest thing to a plan I can manage. LOL! Got a lot of room and as much time as the fates wiil allow to figure out the rest.

You realize with this type of benchwork that raising the track is very simple right? Raise track and lower elevation.

You realize with this type of benchwork that raising the track is very simple right? Raise track and lower elevation.

Oh, ya. The 'top' will be put on with an eye to possibly removing it for any crazy ideas that might come along, I could 'spline' some of it later on or even remove a section to get rid of the 'crawl under' action. Put in a 'lift bridge' or whatever. One of the main things I have learned in general and now on the forum with regards to layouts is that change is the ONLY 'constant' thing you can rely on!

Good stuff. To tell you the truth as I got older and I'm not saying I'm old at 54 this year, I have realized that I'm tired of restarting a layout but at the same time I struggle with firm decisions which basicly makes the layout construction move at a snails pace. Will be looking forward to what you do with your layout.

Good stuff. To tell you the truth as I got older and I'm not saying I'm old at 54 this year, I have realized that I'm tired of restarting a layout but at the same time I struggle with firm decisions which basicly makes the layout construction move at a snails pace. Will be looking forward to what you do with your layout.

"Fits and starts" it has been! Deciding on the various options at each step can be the most daunting aspect of this hobby. Trying to do it "RIGHT" when "RIGHT" is THREE or MORE different ways gets to be MADDENING at times! I becoming a 'go with your gut and let er RIP' kinda guy.

"Fits and starts" it has been! Deciding on the various options at each step can be the most daunting aspect of this hobby. Trying to do it "RIGHT" when "RIGHT" is THREE or MORE different ways gets to be MADDENING at times! I becoming a 'go with your gut and let er RIP' kinda guy.
I like your style.:)

Thanks! I'm a-gettin there!
WIN_20151011_074658.JPG
This thing is TOO big to take A picture of, It cannot be seen in it's entirety from any ONE spot! LOL!
WIN_20151011_074605.JPG

Back