Marklin HO Flying Scotsman!

Alco251

I don't know whether this has been picked up yet but Marklin have just announced 2 and 3 rail versions in British Railways standard green livery, it's a pity they didn't pick the LNER apple green as I'm sure this would sell in here and fairly easy to detail to the condition in which it ran in the USA during it's tour.

I don't know whether this has been picked up yet but Marklin have just announced 2 and 3 rail versions in British Railways standard green livery, it's a pity they didn't pick the LNER apple green as I'm sure this would sell in here and fairly easy to detail to the condition in which it ran in the USA during it's tour.
It's the 100th anniversary of the Scotsman this year, so lot of manufacturers jumping on that bandwagon.

It's being produced in BR Green because she started life as a A1 locomotive in 1923 and was retired from sevice in 1963 by which time she was owned by BR and as a A3 after several upgrades.

The 10 year restoration project (£4.2 million)has restored her to her A3 status, so despite opposition to have her in LNER Apple Green with the #4472, as she was retired as a A3 BR loco she is in BR Green #60103.

Being in the UK I was aware of the anniversary, I'm just surprised as far as maximising revenue goes Marklin are not offering a version matching it's appearance during the early 70's tours, I would have thought that the US would then be it's biggest market. Interestingly Hornby did do a full US version to mark the 50th anniversary of the that tour, but of cause that was OO so not really unsuitable for the US market expect as a display piece. I wish Marklin every success with this venture. Tongue firmly in cheek, perhaps Marklin should go down the full HO Thomas route!

Being in the UK I was aware of the anniversary, I'm just surprised as far as maximising revenue goes Marklin are not offering a version matching it's appearance during the early 70's tours, I would have thought that the US would then be it's biggest market. Interestingly Hornby did do a full US version to mark the 50th anniversary of the that tour, but of cause that was OO so not really unsuitable for the US market expect as a display piece. I wish Marklin every success with this venture. Tongue firmly in cheek, perhaps Marklin should go down the full HO Thomas route!
Sorry, didn't realise your also in the UK, so you know the history of the Scotsman as well as I do. I think if someone (anyone really) did an another HO version of the Scotsman as it looked on it's US tour it would do well, I know there are some modellers who have kit-bashed a version of it.

Great to see this model available in HO. Will look great next to my Roco S3/6 and NKP Hudson, and my British HO 66s. 👍

I would expect an LNER apple green version if this sells well. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to backdate the model to the US (and Australian) tour appearance.

Great to see this model available in HO. Will look great next to my Roco S3/6 and NKP Hudson, and my British HO 66s. 👍

I would expect an LNER apple green version if this sells well. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to backdate the model to the US (and Australian) tour appearance.
Scotsman is being brought out of "retirement" by Marklin as its reaches it's 100 anniversary of entering service this year, as a limited edition it's unlikely that it will be produced in LNER colours, but we can hope.

As far as I am aware it has never been in production as it was on it's US or Australian tours, although modellers have kitbashed versions, some of which were first class.

The price is quite up there at £526.50 (exc shipping) in the UK. but they have definitely made it stand apart from it's competitors, with having sound, smoke and variable lighting configuratin, (including firebox and tender corridor lighting) it was something I was moaning about only some weeks ago when Hornby announced their launch of their new Scotsman, at £320 all you get is a DCC ready locomotive apart from better detail, nothing really new or innovative.

Although it's an expensive loco being close to the Musuem Quality price bracket, I've pre-ordered mine already, even though all my steamers are LNER and this is in BR colours I actually think it's worth it, but only time will tell if I'm right.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware it has never been in production as it was on it's US or Australian tours

Hornby have produced a number of models of Scottie on its US holiday and have a Dublo version out now. R30208. Looks like it is sold out already! There have been others in the past inc. gold plated R3738. I don't think Scottie was changed that much for its Australian getaway. These have all unfortunately been in OO scale. The PSM Scottie in HO is most likely the most accurate Australian model.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 221245 (2).png

Screenshot from Hornby website showing R30208.

Hornby have produced a number of models of Scottie on its US holiday and have a Dublo version out now. R30208. Looks like it is sold out already! There have been others in the past inc. gold plated R3738. I don't think Scottie was changed that much for its Australian getaway. These have all unfortunately been in OO scale. The PSM Scottie in HO is most likely the most accurate Australian model.

View attachment 165018

Screenshot from Hornby website showing R30208.
Apologies, I haven't seen one, and I wouldn't want one either if I'm honest, but I don't remember any cosmetic changes being made to the Scotsman for Australia, at the time it was based at Steamtown in Caernforth and owned by Sir Roger McAlpine, I worked there when it went to Oz.

I picked up my Trix Scotsman in December which made for a very expensive Christmas - but I'm worth it! What a machine and so good to have this loco in a proper scale with a correct gauge. There are a couple of things that don't look quite right, most noticeably to me the stack height, but it is sooooooooo smooth and beautifully finished. My pictures don't do it justice.

PB230023.JPG

Here next to my repainted HO EMD 66. Both diecast bodied beasts!

PB230024.JPG

There are not many of us trying to model the UK rail scene in HO scale. It is a sideline for me - I like all my models the same scale so my Scotsman will take turns alongside my NKP Hudson, Bavarian S3/6 and OBB 310. I have plans for some British HO coaches but that will take some time..........

I picked up my Trix Scotsman in December which made for a very expensive Christmas - but I'm worth it! What a machine and so good to have this loco in a proper scale with a correct gauge. There are a couple of things that don't look quite right, most noticeably to me the stack height, but it is sooooooooo smooth and beautifully finished. My pictures don't do it justice.

View attachment 180636

Here next to my repainted HO EMD 66. Both diecast bodied beasts!

View attachment 180637

There are not many of us trying to model the UK rail scene in HO scale. It is a sideline for me - I like all my models the same scale so my Scotsman will take turns alongside my NKP Hudson, Bavarian S3/6 and OBB 310. I have plans for some British HO coaches but that will take some time..........
FYI.
Scotsman had a double Kylchap chimney fitted to improve performance in 1958,(hence the lower stack) but this caused problems for the driver as forward vision was obscured by the smoke, this was then remedied in 1961 when the German type smoke deflectors were added.

As Scotsman went out of service in 1963, you now know which version of Scotman you have which is an A3

Thanks. I know about the double chimney - though shouldn't we call it a 'stack' here? Still on the model it does appear a little high.

A great model nevertheless and very happy with it.

Thanks. I know about the double chimney - though shouldn't we call it a 'stack' here? Still on the model it does appear a little high.

A great model nevertheless and very happy with it.
Both are used, but Chimney is more accurate,(British). Stack is an Americanism.

It may look high but this is HO not OO scale

An LNER green version would probably also find customers in Australia. As 4472, she visited and ran in Australia in 1988. And Australian models are in H0 as well, rather than 00, so it wouldn't look out of proportion as an 00 one would. I don't think anyone much in Australia would want an H0 BR green Scotsman.

An LNER green version would probably also find customers in Australia. As 4472, she visited and ran in Australia in 1988. And Australian models are in H0 as well, rather than 00, so it wouldn't look out of proportion as an 00 one would. I don't think anyone much in Australia would want an H0 BR green Scotsman.
I was one of the many people who worked on Scotsman prepping her for her trip "down under" even then, the LNER livery she wore was inaccurate it should have been in BR green simply because by 1963 when she retired from service she was an A3 locomotive, not a A1 as she was in 1928 when she entered service with LNER.

Alan Pegler who originally owned Scotsman after her retirement was the one who had her repainted into her original LNER apple green with the iconic 4472 number for her USA trip and that is how most people remember her, and she stayed in those colours through Peglers, McAlpine and until Pete Waterman's involvement (he never actually owned her outright) when she was correctly painted in BR green after another refurb (although the repaint wasn't Pete Waterman's decision)

There was a great debate after her £10 million refurb at York as to why she was painted into BR colours and not LNER apple green as nearly everyone remembers her, simply put, Scotsman is, and was on her retirement, an A3 locomotive and owned by BR, not a A1 owned by LNER.

I don't have a problem with the restored locomotive being finished in BR green, as it is arguably more appropriate than having it in LNER green, but I do see it as a missed marketing opportunity not to have a version of the H0 model in LNER green. The market for British locomotives in H0is virtually nil, unless some of them ended up working overseas (like the ex-ROD 2-8-0s which, after WWI, ended up all over the world, including a fair few in Australia) or toured overseas (such as the Flying Scotsman). Attempts to sell H0 models of British locomotives have pretty much all failed as 00 is too well established.

I don't have a problem with the restored locomotive being finished in BR green, as it is arguably more appropriate than having it in LNER green, but I do see it as a missed marketing opportunity not to have a version of the H0 model in LNER green. The market for British locomotives in H0is virtually nil, unless some of them ended up working overseas (like the ex-ROD 2-8-0s which, after WWI, ended up all over the world, including a fair few in Australia) or toured overseas (such as the Flying Scotsman). Attempts to sell H0 models of British locomotives have pretty much all failed as 00 is too well established.
I think it's more that you model what you know, how many Australian, German or American modellers model UK stuff in comparison to modelling their home countries, the market is simply not there for major HO manufacturers to bother with, I think the only reason Marklin have produced this version of the Scotsman is simply that it's probably the most well known steam locomotive in the world and it's 100 years old, quite an achievement on its own.

But looking at the Trix/Marklin version, if I'm honest, I'd rather have theirs than Hornby's simply because they have moved the model forward where Hornby has simply "added" a bit more detail (this is nearly their 50th version), wait for it, made it DCC ready, wow, very innovative of them, admittedly the price for a Marklin is up there, at nearly 600 Euro or nearly AUD1000 compared to Hornby's £363 but you get a lot more for your money.

As for OO being well established, it is here sure, but no one really models OO scale in any significant numbers outside the UK.

I agree it is a beautiful model, and far superior it seems (I say it like that because I have only seen the photographs to judge it from) to the Hornby one. It's just a shame that it's aimed at a market that doesn't exist.

The Scotsman sold out on both Marklin and Trix's websites before it was available so job done. The EST 241 remains available so if all the ltd run models are produced in the same numbers then British HO has some interest! Only Marklin/Trix will know but I would expect that if they continue to produce annual 'world' locomotives, we may well get another British model.

I have read reports that Hornby's new TT range has been well received in Europe so there is interest in running 'mixed' models. Just not enough.

The Scotsman sold out on both Marklin and Trix's websites before it was available so job done. The EST 241 remains available so if all the ltd run models are produced in the same numbers then British HO has some interest! Only Marklin/Trix will know but I would expect that if they continue to produce annual 'world' locomotives, we may well get another British model.

I have read reports that Hornby's new TT range has been well received in Europe so there is interest in running 'mixed' models. Just not enough.
TT scale isn't exactly new, it's been around since 1945, (invented by the American Hal Joyce), just no one really bothered marketing that scale in the UK till Hornby, how popular it becomes remains to be seen.

As for Marklin/Trix edition of Scotsman being sold out, I'm not surprised, to have a model of probably the most well known and to date, the most expensive Steam locomotive (at £10 million) who wouldn't want one.

The Scotsman sold out on both Marklin and Trix's websites before it was available so job done
Looked on the UK certain website earlier and there are plenty of Trix versions - Gaugemaster has 12+ and Jadlam 11 and there are a few Marklin versions at low prices ( not so popular in the UK)
I don't like the shiny copper tubing and lubricators around the front of the loco. Surely the real loco doesen't look like this.
Reminds me of the old Traction engine owners expression " Highly polished, Deeply scratched "
Makes them look like the nasty "collectible" models issued by various "Mints", cheap models with shiny bits and now are virtually worthless.
The other problem is that there are no suitable H0 scale coaches for it to pull.
I think I will stick to my Hornby Live Steam double tender version with seven Teak coaches.
Scotsman_2 tender.JPG

Back