Maine Central Jordan Spreader

PlowGuy

Heres a few pics of my latest plow, it is an old Walthers Jordan Spreader Kit, it came as a yellow CSX unit that I modified a few things on such as removing the front coupler and replacing with a mesh screen, and I substituted the cheap fragile plastic pistons with wire and metal tubing... the wings are fully functional.

I wanted to paint this in a Maine Central theme, however the prototypes have a yellow crew cab area and the rest is black.... it seem kind of bland and not very pleasing to the eye. I found a few pics online of a New England Costal Railroad spreader that was a good starting point. I figured the green on that one could be a great start for faded sunbeaten MEC Green. I love rust.... I think I mat have over done it a bit on this peice, but I think it'll look good sitting in some weeds on a siding (another project!)

So here are some pics of the NECR I used as a template (I did not try to copy it, just a reference), and the almost finished MEC spreader. I want to touch up a few areas, and add some lights and hydraulic hoses.

2011020722222632206_zps9a1b2062.jpg

2004072219220729757_zps60daf227.jpg

005-4_zps7e07b2cd.jpg

004-4_zps946d63fc.jpg

012-4_zps2b83493e.jpg

013-5_zpsbe7d2671.jpg

014-1_zps0af284c0.jpg

015-2_zps3783fbbd.jpg

016-2_zps0cef7852.jpg

006-3_zps7f5d5d76.jpg

011-2_zps2d772196.jpg

010-3_zps35be9fa6.jpg

wow you did a GREAT JOB on that lol & yep that does look like old guilford/pan am/ maine central equipment lol

funny on night coming home from work when i lived in nh , i was going over rockingham jct &on the portsmouth branch was a boston & maine snlow wedges parked , wow it was cool so i got out in 10* blow zero & took some shots

Last edited by a moderator:
i see you put the # 470 on the side of the spreader ,did you do that as a nod to the steamer 470 that parked outside waterville , speaking of which my son told me a bunch of guys were swarming all over the 470 the other week i guess to give it a little loving care ,....... FINALLY

I don't think that you over did it one bit. There was a Jordan Spreader parked under the interstate on a siding, when I lived in Mobile, Al. (What a JS was doing there, I have no idea! Ballast work????)

Anyway, except for the numbers and a stenciled IC on it, it was pure rust! So no, you didn't overdo it at all! Looks perfect to me!

Thanks for the compliments. I had no idea about the 470, just a group of numbers from a decal sheet I had, but good info about the steamer!!!

Did a little more work to the spreader this weeked, some I like, some I dont..... Heres a few shots with a MEC RS-11

004-4_zps9addd8d3.jpg

007-4_zps6578de1e.jpg

Great job on the spreader, Plow Guy. Also lucky to find a kit that is so close to the prototype as well. Wish they still made that kit. I would like to do one up in the colors of the first NECR pic you posted. That one looks like it would be a really good weathering challenge.
I don't think you overdid your spreader at all. If anything, I would say the rust could be brighter and stand out a bit more like in the proto pic. Yours apears to be modelled more after a spreader that hasn't seen much use and is dusty from sitting(the way most spreaders look). Looks great, but I like the bright colors on the proto pic as well. The green yellow and rust almost look flouresent.

Hey PlowGuy - great job! I like your latest changes, especially how you added more rust to the bottom leading edge, as this would be the area that takes the most abuse. But I gotta ask - how is it that a guy in Virginia Beach is so into snow plows?

Hey PlowGuy - great job! I like your latest changes, especially how you added more rust to the bottom leading edge, as this would be the area that takes the most abuse. But I gotta ask - how is it that a guy in Virginia Beach is so into snow plows?

Thanks guys, I appriciate it!

I grew up In New Hampshire and lived there until I joined the Navy in 1996. I grew up in the B&M / MEC era transitioning into Guilford. Love plows, but hate the snow!!!! :p

Thanks guys, I appriciate it!

I grew up In New Hampshire and lived there until I joined the Navy in 1996. I grew up in the B&M / MEC era transitioning into Guilford. Love plows, but hate the snow!!!! :p
yea i can really relate to that ,& nice job :)

Back