Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

I just got a coffee mug in the mail to help me break my train addiction…
IMG_7307.jpeg
IMG_7308.jpeg

Got me one of these gems that are out of production for some time. An old Accurail kit. No label or model number on the end of the box so I have no idea the info for that.

Custom produced limited run Accurail 50ft auto parts boxcar decorated in a real-life commemorative paint scheme recognizing the five-way collaboration between the Ford Motor Company, American Car & Foundry, Louisville & Nashville, Wabash, and Southern Pacific railroads in designing the first 86' boxcar. Although the real paint scheme was applied to the first ever 86' boxcar, it is reproduced here on a more layout-friendly 50ft boxcar.

s-l1600 (6).jpg20230822_195759.jpg20230822_195313.jpg20230822_195308.jpg20230822_195257.jpg20230822_195250.jpg

I have done 3 sets of Bowser spline cars. 2 of the 3 car set and 1 of the 5 car set. IMO they are much superior to the Athearn 3 car set I had weathered. They weigh more and they tracked better out of the box.
That explains why they sell out so fast.

I have done 3 sets of Bowser spline cars. 2 of the 3 car set and 1 of the 5 car set. IMO they are much superior to the Athearn 3 car set I had weathered. They weigh more and they tracked better out of the box.

I have also weathered many well cars but none of them seemed far above the others. I have not done a Kato set yet. I do have a client who likes the Walthers Proto well cars but I recently purchased a 5 car set of the Athearn’s RTR ?? and they are just as nice and track very well
The Bowser spine cars definitely are much better than Athearn. Their weight alone is a major benefit to running long trains. The Athearn version, in my opinion is for the short little trains of ten cars or so. More than that and the spine cars are inclined to derail on curves or turnouts.

The Bowser spine cars definitely are much better than Athearn. Their weight alone is a major benefit to running long trains. The Athearn version, in my opinion is for the short little trains of ten cars or so. More than that and the spine cars are inclined to derail on curves or turnouts.
Thank you

So a little history on this car I acquired.

I have been thinking of getting this car for some time now and waited for a few years for someone to improve on the details of this car. The end results has surprised me in a positive manner for sure. Needless to say I am happy I waited. So, Bachmann has been making interesting improvements as of late on some of their products. I usually steer away from them but now and then I will look at something they may have improved on. This is one of those cases.

Union Pacific actually had this car and was quite famous for it's time.....

Impact Car; UP 195220​

The following comes from Railroad magazine, August 1964, page 31:

"History, please, of Union Pacific's plexiglas car 195220. -- Built in 1917 as ordinary boxcar 124557 she was rebuilt in 1952 with transparent sides, renumbered 195220, and put into service in a freight-loss and damage-prevention campaign. Because of wide publicity, she was probably the best-known freight car of all time. Nine other North American railroads built cars embodying her features. Inquiries regarding her construction came from Britain, Germany, Belgium, and Japan. For 11 years this demonstration car traversed not only home rails, over most of the UP system, but those of other roads also and won wide acclaim. Looking at her, shippers could actually see the effectiveness of loading and bracing methods in a manner comparable to doctors and surgeons studying the inside of the human body with X-ray. Finally outliving her usefulness, she was dismantled in July, 1963."

It was built in May 1917 as UP 124557; rebuilt at UP's Omaha shop in May 1943 and renumbered as UP 195220; retired by UP in July 1963.

The UP Equipment Record shows UP 195220 with a brief note as being vacated in July 1963, with a notation "Plexiglas Car."

An examination of high resolution photos of the car reveals that the open-mesh and "Plexiglas" portions were only on one side of the car (the right side, with the brake wheel to the rear). The other side retained its original solid side structure. No photos of the solid side of the car have yet been found.

UP_195220_Impact-Car_UP-Color-Guide-Vol-1_page-109.jpg

20230719_135840.jpg20230719_135828.jpg20230719_135830.jpg20230719_135833.jpgScreenshot 2023-07-17 225033.jpg

I will post more pictures later when I get it on the layout. I was amazed how heavy this car is! The details are spot on too! The cleaning tool/pad can easily be taken on or off for use etc. so no issues there.

So, I would urge you at times just peek at some of their products now and then. It may surprise you, as it did me in this case, granted the majority of their stuff is very toy like etc. This item..... they almost nailed it. I may make a few changes later. If you look at the pictures you may see some very little differences but it not terrible by any means.

More pictures to follow.

I have been thinking of getting this car for some time now and waited for a few years for someone to improve on the details of this car. The end results has surprised me in a positive manner for sure. Needless to say I am happy I waited. So, Bachmann has been making interesting improvements as of late on some of their products. I usually steer away from them but now and then I will look at something they may have improved on. This is one of those cases.

Impact Car; UP 195220​

"History, please, of Union Pacific's plexiglas car 195220. -- Built in 1917 as ordinary boxcar 124557 she was rebuilt in 1952 with transparent sides, renumbered 195220, and put into service in a freight-loss and damage-prevention campaign. Because of wide publicity, she was probably the best-known freight car of all time. Nine other North American railroads built cars embodying her features. Inquiries regarding her construction came from Britain, Germany, Belgium, and Japan. For 11 years this demonstration car traversed not only home rails, over most of the UP system, but those of other roads also and won wide acclaim. Looking at her, shippers could actually see the effectiveness of loading and bracing methods in a manner comparable to doctors and surgeons studying the inside of the human body with X-ray. Finally outliving her usefulness, she was dismantled in July, 1963."

It was built in May 1917 as UP 124557; rebuilt at UP's Omaha shop in May 1943 and renumbered as UP 195220; retired by UP in July 1963.

The UP Equipment Record shows UP 195220 with a brief note as being vacated in July 1963, with a notation "Plexiglas Car."

An examination of high resolution photos of the car reveals that the open-mesh and "Plexiglas" portions were only on one side of the car (the right side, with the brake wheel to the rear). The other side retained its original solid side structure. No photos of the solid side of the car have yet been found.

View attachment 173460

View attachment 173461View attachment 173462View attachment 173463View attachment 173464View attachment 173465

I will post more pictures later when I get it on the layout. I was amazed how heavy this car is! The details are spot on too! The cleaning tool/pad can easily be taken on or off for use etc. so no issues there.

So, I would urge you at times just peek at some of their products now and then. It may surprise you, as it did me in this case, granted the majority of their stuff is very toy like etc. This item..... they almost nailed it. I may make a few changes later. If you look at the pictures you may see some very little differences but it not terrible by any means.

More pictures to follow.
I need one of these, but they don't seem to be available outside the US, but with an asking price of £100 (Amazon) I think I'll wait a while.

Impact Car; UP 195220​

View attachment 173460

View attachment 173461View attachment 173462View attachment 173463View attachment 173464View attachment 173465

More pictures to follow.
Did any other railroad have one of these cars or was this car particular to U P? I ask this question as I noticed the real U P car has 4 panels on each side of the door while the Bachmann model has 5 panels. Also the trucks are different. Still, I have to agree, this is an unusual piece of rolling stock and looks very neat. I'm guessing this car only saw road service when it was being moved from yard to yard to be used in "rough handling" demonstrations.
Quote.....For 11 years this demonstration car traversed not only home rails, over most of the UP system, but those of other roads also and won wide acclaim.

Did any other railroad have one of these cars or was this car particular to U P? I ask this question as I noticed the real U P car has 4 panels on each side of the door while the Bachmann model has 5 panels. Also the trucks are different. Still, I have to agree, this is an unusual piece of rolling stock and looks very neat. I'm guessing this car only saw road service when it was being moved from yard to yard to be used in "rough handling" demonstrations.
Quote.....For 11 years this demonstration car traversed not only home rails, over most of the UP system, but those of other roads also and won wide acclaim.

I have noticed those differences and may make changes of what I can do but it is close enough for me at this time. Here is another picture.

20230827_014851.jpg

Back