Magilla’s first layout build.

Hi magilla12,

Pay no attention to ol' what's his name. Some folks are so full of themselves that they think their way is the only way. Besides, I have a truly GREAT hint for you.............

Hover your cursor over his avatar and wait a few seconds.......... when some information pops up, look for the little note that says "Ignore". Click on it, refresh the page, and enjoy. That's what I just did.
I agree, everyone has their own opinions, but they don't need to be rude in their approach. I think that we should all be helpful and sharing in our model railroading info.

By all means start off with DC, git'r up and running and have fun!
We'll enjoy watching the build!
When it comes time to run more than just one train however that’s when I’d look at DCC.
You can pick up a decoder equipped loco fairly cheap and as was stated it would be super simple converting to DCC power, no toggles or blocks or rail gaps. (other than reverse loops that is.)
Most important thing here is have fun!

Sorry guys that post irritated me a little bit. If this layouts that bad what’s wrong with it, I don’t know. One of the main reasons I chose this is that it is a step by step instruction on how to do a layup and pretty much the only one I could find. There may be others. This is the one I have and I don’t really see any problems in the layout, it has two reverse loops and plenty of room for expansion. I’m going to build it and if you guys wanna see it I’ll be glad to post pictures. I know I’ll have plenty of questions.

Sorry guys that post irritated me a little bit. If this layouts that bad what’s wrong with it, I don’t know. One of the main reasons I chose this is that it is a step by step instruction on how to do a layup and pretty much the only one I could find. There may be others. This is the one I have and I don’t really see any problems in the layout, it has two reverse loops and plenty of room for expansion. I’m going to build it and if you guys wanna see it I’ll be glad to post pictures. I know I’ll have plenty of questions.
I look forward to seeing how your build progresses, and apologise if you were offended.

I'm a DC guy and I'm very happy in that way. I really like your track plan. Maybe I'll borrow a few ideas...

158656-1a52abc28c6bd6a9471659987dae90b5.jpg

I'm not sure, but you may want to remove the over-under figure 8 and keep the rest, then in the middle you could do some nice scenery. I've never built off a track plan so I'm not sure how it would go. Anyways, the layout seems to be a good plan for running trains! Your scenery choice of Oklahoma will be easy to achieve!

I want to try and model the red dirt of NW Oklahoma. View attachment 160098
That should be interesting, getting those colours right could be a challenge, but I was referring to what time period your interested in , are you staying with the time period dictated by you loco, or do you intend to come forward to diesels, or even both?

Last edited:
That should be interesting, getting those colours right could be a challenge, but I was referring to what time period your interested in , are you staying with the time period dictated by you loco, or do you intend to come forward to diesels, or even both?
Sorry, I haven’t had my coffee yet, i thought I read area not era, lol. I think modern era.

Last edited:

Back