Love the old Alcos

PApat

I am near finishing up a C420 in L & HR colors and took a picture on the layout...

The consist will date this in the mid 70's after the LV takeover of L & HR...

These Alco units are growing on me!

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm right there with you. My favorites.

Attachments

• 0018.jpg
    0018.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 305
Montanan, your lone EMD unit has been derailed by all those Alcos in the service area, lol...

The lone EMD had a brother too. They are both remotored Athearn units. I painted these up long before Atlas came out with the Alcos. I really couldn't find any decent running Alcos until Atlas brought these out. All of them are a little on the old side, but they all run great. Wouldn't trade them in on anything !

The lone EMD had a brother too. They are both remotored Athearn units. I painted these up long before Atlas came out with the Alcos. I really couldn't find any decent running Alcos until Atlas brought these out. All of them are a little on the old side, but they all run great. Wouldn't trade them in on anything !

You've added Alco style number boards to some? I love an RS-2/3. I will be looking for a way to make the "Hammerhead" loco Lehigh Valley had. There were some folks who made conversion kits for the short hood, but I'm not sure they are around.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=49190

Pat, There was a "hammerhead" kit offered several years ago by Detail Associates in plastic and Tiger Valley in white metal. Occasionally they show up on fleabay. I don't believe either are in production right now. ( I found mine on fleabay)

And for all my fellow "Alcohaulics" I submit the following. A Tyco C-430, on a stretched MDC RS3 chassis with a can motor & DCC, detailed and decorated as ex-Reading now Conrail # 2049
CR2049%20008.JPG

This was the engine that really got me curious about Alcos when I was a lad, so even though it was just a cheap Tyco, I couldn't just "pitch it"!

I've been working on one lately as well. I really have no idea what to call this one. It's an old Tyco C630 shell that I shortened and chopped the nose on in order to get it to fit on a Bachmann GP40 frame. It's different- I like it.

I've got two Atlas yellow-box C424's - one that I purchase off evilbay as a Reading unit, the other I purchased undecorated and made it's running-mate. I also have a stable of RS2's and 3's in LV, Reading, and D&H colors. I love the PA railroads from my youth!

Karl, nice web site. Where in NC were the fishing pictures taken? I have family down there...

-bill

Karl, nice web site. Where in NC were the fishing pictures taken? I have family down there...

-bill

Thanks, stay tuned, the website is getting an update soon! The fishing was done off the coast of Wilmington. My older sister lives there, retired from CSX and enjoying life with the boat!:)

When I first started modeling five or so years ago I didn't care for diesels, especially Alcos. Now I think the Alco RS 1,2, and 3's are the neatest looking diesels out there. I recently purchased a Bachmann Alco RS3 with intentions of repainting it for CNW.

Here she is right out of the box.

NewBachmannAlcors3004.png

Looks a little lost in the cornfields of Southern Minnesota!

NewBachmannAlcors3001.jpg

Thank you. Scenery has been my favorite part of model railroading. Now that the scenery is close to done, I've turned my attention to the trains themselves. This loco is a good example. I could have purchased the Athearn RTR already done for CNW but I didn't want to pony up the money and plop it on the layout. My wife approved the purchase of the wrong livery for $50 just as long as it takes me some modeling to get it right. Otherwise I'm just buying stuff(she says)! :D

Corey, explain to her how much it costs to get the right airbrush equipment and she might loosen up!!

Many years ago now, the only Alco's that were available were AHM's. I have a really neat RS2 made from one of these in SP&S. Super detailed (for the time) but still runs kinda poorly. Still won't get rid of it.

Steve

Corey, explain to her how much it costs to get the right airbrush equipment and she might loosen up!!

That's the problem, I already have the airbrush, paints, and compressor. I used that stuff to rebuild my Mantua Pacific and Athearn passenger cars. She did offer earlier for us to skip the whole having children thing and have an almost unlimited hobby budget! I almost accepted the offer!:D:D

Steve, ever thought of repowering? There are many resources now that can help that loco. I have one of the original wide-bodied Athern GP9's I bought in the '70's. It was relatively easy to repower with an A-line can motor.

-bill

Back