Lots of radio chatter leaving Grand Central

NYC_George

If you like railroad chatter you’ll like this video. In 1987 my uncle Sy videoed his run from Grand Central Station to Brewster NY which takes about 1 ½ hours. I uploaded a 5 minute clip from just after leaving the tunnel at Grand Central to 125th st. Trains are coming and going and the radio chatter never stops once it gets going. The chatter includes a conductor calling for the police to throw someone off the train because he refuses to pay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHP-WD7dcnQ

NYC_George

ride free now jail later

I know one thing. The guy that got on and is refusing pay they would just throw him off, but if he got on at 125st. or some other station and was coming into Grand Central after he rode free. They would handcuff him, off to jail he would go and see the judge in the morning. There’s no I changed my mind I'll pay now.

NYC_George

George, would that have been the old NYC Transit Police or the railroad police that would have made the arrest? I only handled one problem like this when we got a call for the SP saying there was guy who jumped on the caboose and was riding on the steps. There were no SP cops in the area so we met the train at a crossing and the guy was sure enough riding on the steps. We told him to get off and decided he didn't wan't to. It was about a five minute fight before we got him in cuffs, back in the days before pepper spray and tasers. We arrested him for trepaspassing and resisting arrest but I never did find out if he was violating any specific law about an unauthorized person riding on a caboose. :)

Jim there was an eight story building next to Grand Central where all the railroad offices were located. The 5th floor was occupied by the railroad police. When I worked there it was first the Penn Central and then later Conrail police. In 1987 at the time of the video I was long gone and I guess it would have been the Metro North police. I do remember one time the conductor called on the radio and told me to call ahead and have the Conrail police meet the train at Grand Central because a passenger refused to pay. When the passenger got off the train he told the police I changed my mind I’ll pay now. They put the cuffs right on him and said, “No you won’t, your going to jail and you’ll see the judge in the morning”. Back then it wasn’t a good idea not to pay.

NYC_George

Back