Losing interest in model trains, but interest in watching YouTube videos of trains increasing?

While I might lose interest in the layout occasionally, I try not to get too much into You Tube. There's too much there and I find myself spending way too much time watching those videos. There's a whole lot of good ones out there, my favorite being the cab-rides. The layout itself offers a lot of varied diversions. I can run and switch trains since most of the trackage is complete. I can do scenery since I still have at least 40% still to do. I can build structures to go on the unfinished portion of the layout. I can still assemble a few freight car kits, although I'm running out. Or I can weather or otherwise upgrade some of the 800 freight cars that I already run. When all else fails, I go and watch trains on the BNSF main line nearby.

Willie is correct, YouTube is addictive by design and without care can be a huge time suck as can be most of the internet. That said, I have a screen at work that plays the Chehalis camera on Virtual Railfan pretty much all day. I know some of the people on the chat and it is only about 100 mi from my house. Sometimes I also watch the Tucson camera because you can see University of AZ in the background and I miss my daughter attending school there.

Generally, I find train videos sort of boring. They are better if sped up to 2x speed unless I see something I want to look at closer.

I watch 5 channels on YouTube about model railroading twice a week. Virtual Railfan normally on Sunday.
The following are normally what I watch more frequently.
Magnet fishing, car repair, bad drivers, funny pets & restoration.

Car repair is a good one, last month I learned how to do the timing belt on my 99 Forester and saved hundreds. I didn't even bleed.

Back