Looking for this water tower in HO

Checked out the picture. It's clearly a coaling tower and looks familiar. If no one else recognizes it, I'll check my references when I get home from work tonight (around midnight EST).

I thought I remembered seeing this before. It's a brass model imported by Overland in the late 70's. It's based on an Ogle 100 ton steel coaling tower. The model looks like this:
ogle2.jpg

I think the model is based on a Santa Fe prototype but it was very unusual for Ogle Engineering, who almost always built in concrete or timber. If you really want one, be prepared to mortgage the home. :) I've seen them for $400 to $900 depending on condition. If you do go after one, make sure you examine it in person or get a return privilege as some of these had some really bad solder joints in strategic places so they became kits whether you wanted them to be or not. :D

I thought I remembered seeing this before. It's a brass model imported by Overland in the late 70's. It's based on an Ogle 100 ton steel coaling tower. The model looks like this:
ogle2.jpg

I think the model is based on a Santa Fe prototype but it was very unusual for Ogle Engineering, who almost always built in concrete or timber. If you really want one, be prepared to mortgage the home. :) I've seen them for $400 to $900 depending on condition. If you do go after one, make sure you examine it in person or get a return privilege as some of these had some really bad solder joints in strategic places so they became kits whether you wanted them to be or not. :D

Thanks for posting that one but the one on the magazine cover looks like it's plastic and modern. Obviously Frank Hodina got it from somewhere for his Chicago Illinois Western.

If it's not exactly the same coaling tower, I'll eat my shoe. There were very few of these around. He has painted it in typical railroad colors. Why do you think it's made of plastic? Does he say in the article where he got it? It's possible he could have scratchbuilt it but I'll still bet it's the Overland model I posted.

If it's not exactly the same coaling tower, I'll eat my shoe. There were very few of these around. He has painted it in typical railroad colors. Why do you think it's made of plastic? Does he say in the article where he got it? It's possible he could have scratchbuilt it but I'll still bet it's the Overland model I posted.

Well I really don't know but the one on the magazine cover looks like it was produced from die molds but it's really hard to tell. I'll just have to wait til the that magazine comes out and maybe it will say more about it.

Well, I know for certain that kit was never produced in plastic. Like I wrote, it was a very rare Ogle Engineering design so it's either the Overland brass model or he scratchbuilt it. If he built it, my hat's off to him because that had to be an incredibly difficult model to build.

Well, I know for certain that kit was never produced in plastic. Like I wrote, it was a very rare Ogle Engineering design so it's either the Overland brass model or he scratchbuilt it. If he built it, my hat's off to him because that had to be an incredibly difficult model to build.

Yes it looks very difficult to build and the fact that I can not find it on the internet anywhere means you are probably right.

I think Jim is right. Everything looks exactly the same right down to the angle of the cement blocks under the legs.

I knew the style looked familiar. Phillip Brooks won (earned!) the Gold Medal at the 2005 NMRA convention for his scratchbuilt N scale version of an Ogle Engineering 100 ton steel coaling tower. Plans for the tower were published in the July/August 1995 issue of N Scale magazine.

Does the track in Kalmbach's cover photo look N scale to you? Guess we'll have to wait until the magazine comes out to know for sure.

I knew the style looked familiar. Phillip Brooks won (earned!) the Gold Medal at the 2005 NMRA convention for his scratchbuilt N scale version of an Ogle Engineering 100 ton steel coaling tower. Plans for the tower were published in the July/August 1995 issue of N Scale magazine.

Does the track in Kalmbach's cover photo look N scale to you? Guess we'll have to wait until the magazine comes out to know for sure.

It's difficult to tell the scale.

Back