Looking for loads...

Russian

Saskatoon railfan
Hello, while there's a wide variety of loads out there, I cannot find onesthat I'm looking for. Specifically for a:

50' IHC gondola http://tinyurl.com/cozap(in the middle),
says 52' on it, while its more like 48-49' length comparedto my 50' boxcar fleet

40' Model Power open 4bay hopperhttp://tinyurl.com/9qtpw(that one is N scale, but the HO one looks just like it)

The rest of my open hopper fleet has loads already, so it would be nice tofind loads for these ones. Any help? Perhaps loads for Athearn or othermakers fit in them?

Otherwise I'd load the gondola with bottle caps and the hopper with smallrocks found by the seaside.Thanks.

Edit: The gondola with the bottle caps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good day to you sir

I take it your a Xman. Anyway when you say your looking for loads I take it you mean things like sand, gravel etc,.

I have a picture at home and might be able to post it later of an old Algoma Central Gondola sitting in a scrap yard in Sydney loaded to the brim with scrap metal. easy enough to simulate if you have old scrap pieces of wood or brass or even piano wire. I've also seen cars that have been crushed then stacked into gondolas.

You may also consider the following

general debris from demolition sites, concrete pipes, steel pipes, corrugated pipes, wire rolls, etc.

Hope this helps

Fergie

Fergmiester said:
Good day to you sir

I take it your a Xman.
Yep.

Anyway when you say your looking for loads I take it you mean things like sand, gravel etc,.
That's what I meant, but I'll definetally try the things you have suggested.

Thank you for replying.

OK here's the "Sydney" picture

afu.sized.jpg

Now if you could make the bucket or magnet and even the crane to work you'ld have a heck of an industry! Now you've got me thinking.

Enjoy

Fergie

If you have a car with rust on it you could scrap bits of rust off of it to create loads for the gondola. I have an old 85 Toyota that I've taken rust off of. Just a thunk.

Jeremy

I've seen those AC gondolas coming through town from Sydney! Seen them in Winnipeg too if anyone needs pictures. While a load has already been found for the gondola discussed above - leftovers from pass. car interior assembly, I was thinking of buying Athearn 50' gondolas with Athearn loads, but am now actively looking at some of the other options available to me.

1. Does anyone know what kind of a load 54' Con-Cor gondolas include? All pictures I could find of them online, were from the side not showing the load.

2. Chooch Enterprises makes a number of loads, which apparently fit Athearn. As Athearn has a number of gondola sizes, which one do they fit? The standard 50' is the one I'm hoping for.

3. Finally, has anyone ever attempted repainting something like a sand load into darker/dirt color? I don't want my gondolas to haul coal or sand, simply generic dirt/torn-up asphalt. I remember seeing and photographing a number of such gondolas on the mainline - they impressed me quite a bit.

Thank you for your help.

Russian said:

3. Finally, has anyone ever attempted repainting something like a sand load into darker/dirt color? I don't want my gondolas to haul coal or sand, simply generic dirt/torn-up asphalt. I remember seeing and photographing a number of such gondolas on the mainline - they impressed me quite a bit.

Thank you for your help.
Roman - torn up asphalt? - make a balsa block the size to fit in the Gondola. Cut each end at a 45 degree angle - the angled part goes DOWN so that when you press on one end, the other end comes up so you can remove the load. Get some oats/cereal - the stuff that porridge(porage) is made from. Glue it onto the balsa block (flat side )- spray it black and then dry-brush top surfaces in shades of gray
Instant asphalt loads
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

How about old truck trailers being hauled to the scrapper..Yes,I have a video showing this..The trailers was turn upside down..

Thanks for the tips guys, but I already have one gondola to play with and am thinking about purchasing legitimate loads for 50' Athearns...

So, no one ever purchase a 54' Con-Cor gondola with a load? Same for the Chooch Enterprises loads for Athearns? Oh well.:(

Roman

In last months or it could be this months, there was an article about the Chooch wire load. He describes how to modify it to look better, it was part of a conrail gondola conversion. Oops, the RMC mag ;)

Fergmiester said:
Now if you could make the bucket or magnet and even the crane to work you'ld have a heck of an industry! Now you've got me thinking.

At the NMRA convention train show last July, there was a layout that had a module with a working setup like this. There was a scrap pile made out of steel shavings. The crane had an electromagnet at the end, and it would cycle between the pile and a gondola. It would 'load' the gondola about 6-8 cycles, then reverse itself and 'unload' the gondola for 6-8 cycles. It's operated by a cam-type system which times it.

I talked to the guy who was watching it and he said that they let it run overnight once, and the did have to manually empty the gon since the crane couldn't completely empty it by itself.

I thought I had a pic of it, but I don't I probably have an .avi video of it somewhere....

Kennedy

That sounds like a very cool concept!
As things stand right now, I won't be buying the 54' Con Cor's as the WC livery I want is out of stock. As for loads will get CM Shops sand's and construct some pipe loads from Larry's method.

I have everything imaginable in my gon's. Pipe loads, scrap, steel, concrete chunks, junk cars, machinery, crinkled aluminum foil, sand, gravel, rocks, coal,
wire spools, machinery parts, & stuff I haven't even thought of yet. How about bridge beams, concrete beams, lite polls, RR wheels, track.
I remove track rails from old flex track & sectional track & then dip them in an acid & it tarnishes the heck out of the rail. Then I cut it to fit the gon's & flat cars. All my pipe loads are made from drinking straws painted black, silver, blue & green & I saw some elect. gray pipe today on a real gon.

Larry

Back