Looking for graffiti ideas?

If you stop imitating it, it will help it go away.
QUOTE]

Do you honestly believe this. If I close my eyes it will go away...I wish it were that easy. I would turn my back on all the bad things in life. The limited amount of people that see my work or any of our work combined will have little effect on the world of graffiti, to think anything else is naive. Our modeling is in response too, not the cause of. I wish my modeling had the impact your implying but the fact is it doesn't. They see this stuff everyday all day going down the rails, on bridges, buildings, rocks, water towers. My model railroad doesn't even come close.

As for technique, I am not what I would say good at it. I will lay down a base coat of paint with a brush (althought masking and air brushing will be better) then I use gel pens from a crafts store. One thing I like about the gel pens is they don't leave a uniform layer of paint. It has a ball point so it kinda gives it texture. Rattle cans leave variation in paint and I think it mimics that sort of. Like I said I am no pro but thats how I do it. Gel pens do not work well on raw plastic the roller slides instead of rolling. I have seen some really well done air brush stuff but I don't know that i even come close to the skill it tkaes in HO.

^+1 It's still their decision, no matter where they first saw it. (That's one sheltered kid, if the first tagging they see is on a model!) If rappers stopped singing (or whatever they call it) about prostitution, it wouldn't just dry up overnight.

Sinsley: great idea. :)

I've found sharpies to be pretty lousy for models. They've got this funny oil sheen to them that doesn't look like paint. I'm considering picking up some cheap felt-tip paint pens to mess around with. Brush painting's pretty much out in N.

Edit: just found out a fine point mechanical pencil works pretty well for scribbles on light-colored cars.

Edit 2: Nevermind, sharpies work great, and the ink spreads/blends well with alcohol. Don't mind me, just frothing at the mouth here.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I am siting here reading the posts another thought I had was caligraphy pens. They come in a variety of tips and colors. They might have some potential.

I dunno about that, caligraphy ink is quite bold and dense but atthe same time may be too runny for use in doing model work. Not to mention if you spill drip or mess any of it, you will regret that majorly. I guess you could try it and see what happens, but in my experience, I would try other methods.

Are we talking about the same stuff. The stuff I am talking about is kinda like sharpies, they are individual pens with different styles of tips. I am not talking about fountain pens. These pens are for doing caligraphy the lazy cheaters way. I looked online and can't find them. I might be calling them by a wrong name. I know my dad used them and I have on occasion as well. They remind me of sharpies with different colors with wide tipes narrow tips split tips. Maybe I find out tomorrow.

Yeah I was talking about the metal tipped fountain pen style caligraphy pens. Different cat all together. Sorry.

Yeah I thnk I know what you mean. Chisel tipped felt pens in assorted colours used for art and writing. I think my daughter has had a set before for her highscholl art class.

Says the vids no longer available due to a copy right claim by Josh Baakko??? Josh have some shots in the vid that someone stole or was it his vid and someone stole it?

Sorry about that guys. The uploader stole (read: used w/o permission) a photo of mine. Most of the photos were taken from railcarphotos.com and, after some chatting with the uploader (who contacted me on facebook after the video was pulled), it appears none of the photos were used with permission.

Moral of the story here? Ask before you use someone's photos...

Sorry about that guys. The uploader stole (read: used w/o permission) a photo of mine. Most of the photos were taken from railcarphotos.com and, after some chatting with the uploader (who contacted me on facebook after the video was pulled), it appears none of the photos were used with permission.

Moral of the story here? Ask before you use someone's photos...

On a side note... I'm very forgiving, and extended the offer to the uploader (an offer that stands for anyone wishing), to use my photos, I just ask that he contacts me before such use.

^Gotta hate it when they don't even ask. Well handled though. :)

Here's a quick test I did today, incidentally also my first decent attempt at N scale graffiti.

It's just white spray paint, outlined with a sharpie, tinted with colored sharpie ink mixed/blended/spread with 70% alcohol. With some weathering thrown in, this Bachmann car (originally painted and masked with the same dead chicken) will look half decent. :D

Thats cool Josh, maybe good I did post it, help you know it was out there!

RW&C WOW! that looks great. Great detail for N scale.

ughh, i found out which video. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of that autorack train that was tagged up with the word "Titan" taking up 5 cars?

Thanks guys. :)

I weathered it up a bit, and painted up a hopper to go with it. I won't do all the fleet like this, but I figure a bit here and there can't hurt. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
ughh, i found out which video. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of that autorack train that was tagged up with the word "Titan" taking up 5 cars?

i never saw the titan, but i do remember seeing this online somewhere a while back.

3231104356_45e4362d1b_m.jpg

since then i have seen two of the letters around here.

i never saw the titan, but i do remember seeing this online somewhere a while back.

3231104356_45e4362d1b_m.jpg

since then i have seen two of the letters around here.

Thats the train, i thought it was titan. Im working on acquiring the cars needed to do it. 2 car so far and 1 undecorated athearn automax. That one is for another custom project of mine.

Back