Locomotive Lubricant

Jbuck

This weekend, I am going to purchase a lubricant for my locomotives. Can anyone recommend a particular brand?

On another major forum, I read a post on this topic from a petroleum engineer. He made a convincing argument that automatic transmission fluid has all the properties you need for toy train lubrication, except for possibly hard-working gears. It is safe for paints and plastics, and it has remarkable shear strength. Darned fine lubricant as it happens.

So, deciding I would put some otherwise unused Dexron II ATF to a good use, I began using it with a Lionel Challenger and a BLI metal Pennsy K4s. That was two years ago, and I haven't touched either model since. They continue to serve me flawlessly from the mechanical standpoint. I have since gone on to lubricate another 4 plastic models that way. So far, so good.

We must have read the same post. :) In addition to its lubricating qualities, it's very slow to evaporate so it provides lubrication for a far longer period than any hobby lubricant I've used. The only issue is that this is really slippery, meaning that, if you don't get it in the right place, you may find your engine can now only pull about two cars. I use an insulin syringe (minus the needle) to draw up the amount I need and apply it. I transfered the contents of the opened can to a tupperware container and it's kept fine for the past several years. I figure I'll have to spend another $4 to replace the supply in about 2045...oh, wait, I'll be dead by then, so this is a lifetime supply for me. :D

And what are you using in your gearbox's? I'll stick with the Labelle line of products no.101 for light oil around and no. 106 for gearbox lubrication.

If it's the same post, I added my 2cents worth to that one as well. There was one guy who bought a bottle of Labelles only for the bottle and applicator. I think he said he poured the contents into his car engine.....

It's only drawback is the smell; just don't spill the stuff.

Kennedy

Thanks everyone for your comments. The use of automatic transmission fluid is very intriguing.

I like to use Labelle. It's relatively expensive, but one bottle of oil or tube of grease will do you for a very long time.

ATF sounds interesting, BUT, can you smell the fluid? I know ATF has a really strong smell.

On another major forum, I read a post on this topic from a petroleum engineer. He made a convincing argument that automatic transmission fluid has all the properties you need for toy train lubrication, except for possibly hard-working gears. It is safe for paints and plastics, and it has remarkable shear strength. Darned fine lubricant as it happens...

I too must have read the same post! The only "hobby" lubrucant, (Hob-e-lube, Labelle, etc) that I've ever used is the Labelle grease. For situations that call for oil, I had used Marvel Mystery Oil for almost 20yrs, as another hobbyist told me about it in 1979. It is similar to the transmission fluid. However after some PM's with the author of the post, [I believe it was Mcoulvian(SP)], I switched to the transmission fld, and haven't looked back. Definitely cheaper and superior than the MMO and the hobby type lubes. Wish there was a commercial grease like it. A small container would last forever.

Josh, you use such a small amount that there's really no smell. If you can smell it, you're using too much. :) I still use LaBelle's #106 light grease on my older engines where the gear tolerances were a lot more sloppy. I find the newer P2K, Atlas, and even most Bachmann locomotives have such tight gear tolerances that the grease actually makes them run a little worse because it has a tendency to ball up and get stuck in the gear teeth. ATF lubricant has worked much better for me in these newer engines. An empty bottle of Labelle #101 oil would make an ideal applicator. Also, I'm not sure that ATF is better than Labelle in terms of lubrication but I know it lasts much longer in service - that's the main reason why I use it.

Wow...very interesting on the use of ATF. I think I will read more on it before I try it. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks guys, I'll have to snag up a 1/2 empty bottle this weekend (since they get thrown away at work anyways...).

ATF sounds interesting, BUT, can you smell the fluid? I know ATF has a really strong smell.

I agree, it smells. However, with respect to its application on trains, and during subsequent ops on the layout, unequivocally ......no. In fact, despite the looks my wife gave me for about three days after I used real creosote oil on my scratched trestle, even that smell attentuated to undetectable after about a week. As for the ATF, I didn't smell it at any time after the lube process.

-Crandell

I too must have read the same post! The only "hobby" lubrucant, (Hob-e-lube, Labelle, etc) that I've ever used is the Labelle grease. For situations that call for oil, I had used Marvel Mystery Oil for almost 20yrs, as another hobbyist told me about it in 1979. It is similar to the transmission fluid. However after some PM's with the author of the post, [I believe it was Mcoulvian(SP)], I switched to the transmission fld, and haven't looked back. Definitely cheaper and superior than the MMO and the hobby type lubes. Wish there was a commercial grease like it. A small container would last forever.

By golly, Carey, you may be right on the mark! I can't honestly say. But, that raises the question....what happens to all these nice guys periodically...they drop off the radar, you forget about them, and that's that.

Maybe he's looking in and I don't even know it.

-Crandell

So, are you guys saying to use ATF as a grease and an oil or only instead of the oil? You got me listening and I may swing that direction when my Labelle oil applicator runs out.

Rex, like I wrote in my post, there's still a place for grease with older locos and some of the newer ones where the gear mesh is sloppy. I've found using grease in the the newer P2K, Atlas, and Bachmann engines is a detriment because there is so little gear clearance that the stuff wads up and actually makes them run a little worse. The ATF works for me in place of grease in all my newer locomotives. They run more quietly and smoother. I have several that were cleaned up and lubed with ATF and they are still running just as well almost a year later.

Yes I seem to remember that post also about ATF . I have used electric shaver lubricant in the past , have alot of ATF in garage from when I owned a FORD so will give it a try. Crandall never used Creosite inside but have used Roofing paper for road surfaces .

So, are you guys saying to use ATF as a grease and an oil or only instead of the oil? You got me listening and I may swing that direction when my Labelle oil applicator runs out.

Rex;

I still use a grease in gearboxes. I use the ATF for bearings, axles, etc. The ATF, I believe even if a somewhat heavy liquid, does "sling" out of gearboxes quicker than the grease will.

Jim;

Even with the 1 Kato, 1 P2K and 3 Hobbytown diesel mechs I own, I haven't had a problem at all with the grease doing the "balling up" as you state. As for my steam I only have 2 locos that are NOT equipped with NWSL gearboxes, and the grease problem is nonexsistant in all of them. One is a Bachmann 2-8-0 and the other is a bowser. The bowser will eventually get a better gear box, but not right now, and the Bachmann doesn't appear to need one either.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, just that I haven't seen the situation as you describe.

We discovered ATF back during my serious paintball playing days when the local airsmith said it worked fine for all the high pressure (Nitro) markers we were using. Because our gear was relatively sophisticated (with up to 3 pressure regulators), we needed a good, solid lube to make sure the o-rings didn't swell and all the little bits slid OK.

Since some of us lubed our gear a lot (like after we break a ball), ATF was the cheapest alternative.

As an aside, and getting back to the subject of railroading, a lot of us used what they call 'low pressure' markers. Those are the ones that operated on minimal air pressure. We learned a lot about pressures, volumes, efficiencies, and ratios, which ended up being useful when I started looking at those Mallet locos out there with the huge low pressure front cylinders....

:D

Kennedy

Back