Locomotive Display Cases.

Hi everyone.
I need to buy a few Display cases for my some of my Locomotives at home. I surely won't go through Historic Rail for them. Can someone send me a few links so that I can order some? Thanks.

If you're looking for a small case for a single loco, check the model airplane/car section of your LHS or wherever else that sells those things. They sometimes sell 2-piece plastic display cases for models in various dimensions - you might find one that might fit a locomotive. Also check Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and other places like that. Not necessarily in the model section, they might carry those kind of display cases elsewhere in the store.

Or, if you have access to power tools and such, you could get some lumber, flex track, and a big piece of plexiglass and build your own wall-mounted display cabinet :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The local hobby shop here has the larger display units in stock, I wonder of other LHS stock them too? They look like they would not be too difficult to construct. Looks to be made out of pine with a plexiglass door. Each shelf has two cuts running the length of the shelf to store the locos on.

There's a seller out of California on e-bay that makes beautiful display cases at reasonable prices. Just search for model display cases and you'll find him. I got one that's about 5 feet long by 3 feet tall in Oak and I think it was about $110 delivered.

I know this might not help, but my Dad get cases for his models at a local plastics and acrylics place (Hamilton, ON) (I think they're main business is in lexan windos for hockey arenas, and similar applications of clear plastic). They're about $25-30, but if he orders 6 or more, they only charge about $20 each. Try looking up a local plastics business, and see if they would be willing to do a custom order for you. You never know until you ask.

If you decide to build your own, I'd recommend using Lexan rather that plexiglass. The Lexan is less likely to crack while cutting it. It's also more resistant to scratching.

Rotor

There's a seller out of California on e-bay that makes beautiful display cases at reasonable prices. Just search for model display cases and you'll find him. I got one that's about 5 feet long by 3 feet tall in Oak and I think it was about $110 delivered.

Is this the guy your talking about? HO display case

Since the apartment me and the fiancee are getting is small and no room for a layout, i figured why not get a nice wooded display case.

Steve, yes, that's the guy. Very high quality work and it would look really nice on your apartment wall. It looks and is made like furniture.

Steve, yes, that's the guy. Very high quality work and it would look really nice on your apartment wall. It looks and is made like furniture.

I am probably going to end up getting. I showed the fiancee and of course, she just had a blank stare. Keeps saying, "you can get it, but im decorating the rest of the apt!" I just laugh at her.

It really is nice quality work and will not look like just a bunch of trains on the wall. Tell her it's a curio cabinet that happens to contain trains and she'll be fine with it. :)

lol, well we got the apartment today!!! im so stoked. the area where i want to hang is bigger then i had remembered. So im pushing for the wall display. She wants shelf display or ontop of the tv. The tv display i dont like. Shelves, well i'de have to pick out a nice set. But I like the case better since it has a glass front and it looks like it locks closed.

There are a few avaiable thru my contacts. The prices range from $150 to $500 size's 24 x 24 to 27 x 8ft in several type's of wood and stains.

Back