Load out door?

PartsMan

New N gauge guy
I am turning my engine shed kit into a warehouse.

What size would a load out door for a semi trailer to back up to be in N scale?
The kind a regular modern trailer would back right up to.
I came up with 0.64" wide, 0.71" tall, and 0.30" off of the ground.
Anybody have a trailer they want to measure for me?

not sure how to calculate to N scale but a semi truck trailers max legal hight and width dementions are...

13'6" tall
96" wide on local roads
102" wide on state designated highways or to a final destanation on a local road with the most direct route from a designated highway.

most docks are about 4' off the ground and 6" wider than the trailer on both sides and top to comensate for misalinement when backing a trailer up to the door.

Hope this helps
Trent

does anybody make the doors and the surrounds and the dock plates... Like these
490683531_02957a2bdf.jpg

HO Scale.. I flipped thru the walthers catalog..but didnt see any, other than on whole buildings

Walthers has a similar door on their backdrop warehouse. However, Great West Models, and Pikestuff make great doors, and some styrene shapes will make for a good bumper frame.

how big on the styrene Josh? I never can quite figure out the wholoe .o size deal..afriad ill order the wrong size or whatever - and no my LHS doesnt stock it, if its not R/C they dont really wanna deal with it

the door bumpers are made of foam with a thick rubber cover . in real life They are about 1-1/2' squared. I would think that = about 1mm in HO scale a pice of squared styrene would look just right. paint the yellow guide line on it and your done.

just a note these door foam bumpers are mostly found on newer buildings or docks that have been upgraded. lots of older buildings did not have these as back then Men were Men and wernt afraid of the cold LOL!!!

1 1/2' would = 5.25mm! Comparing to that truck, the sides are about 1'. I's say something around 3-4mm by about 1.5mm thick should do the job

the door bumpers are made of foam with a thick rubber cover . in real life They are about 1-1/2' squared. I would think that = about 1mm in HO scale a pice of squared styrene would look just right. paint the yellow guide line on it and your done.

just a note these door foam bumpers are mostly found on newer buildings or docks that have been upgraded. lots of older buildings did not have these as back then Men were Men and wernt afraid of the cold LOL!!!

I've been working in warehouses and factories for about 11 years and I never knew that's what they were for. I always figured they were a bumper of some sort so the truckers weren't all messing up the building when backing up into the loading dock.

Sorry for the miss calculation. I was just guessing there.. My bad!!;)

DirtyD: dont feel bad I too learn something new every day!!!The foam is put around the trailer just to help keep rain wind and snow out of the building. they put that yellow stripe to use as a guide for the truckers when backing to the dock. If you can line up one stripe along the side of your trailer you should be cloce to the center of the door. The problem with the early ones was that the trailers always tore them up after a few years of use. for the last 20 years Most trailers have been built with air ride and they move up and down as the fork lifts enter,exits and drops pallets in the trailer. this movment takes a toll on them after a few years.

The actual bumpers are on the lower part of the dock about level with the trailer tail lights. Most bumpers are made from Thick hard rubber and are there just to take the impact when the truck contacts the building.

not sure how to calculate to N scale but a semi truck trailers max legal hight and width dementions are...

13'6" tall
96" wide on local roads
102" wide on state designated highways or to a final destanation on a local road with the most direct route from a designated highway.

most docks are about 4' off the ground and 6" wider than the trailer on both sides and top to comensate for misalinement when backing a trailer up to the door.

Hope this helps
Trent

That's what I'm looking for.
Lots of good info here guys.

Back