Lionel Gateman (all variations)

RedRyder77

I wanted to dedicate a thread to all things Gateman. I recently purchased my 1st and it was the Halloween Gateman (71-6841-250) and it seems the general consensus is that it's a fairly rare piece. Personally I did not purchase it for that, I just always wanted a Gateman and some Halloween themed pieces. How many other variations of this piece are there? Anyone else have the Halloween version?

Any info on the Gateman and any of it's variations would be much appreciated and I'd love to see pics of yours. Also, in the near future I will be looking for the Christmas/Nutcracker version.

photo 2 (11).jpgphoto 3 (8).jpg

How perfect is this thread?!

The longest running accessory in the Lionel catalog, maybe in all of model railroading. The Lionel Gatemen and it's many variations.

I love that Halloween Gatemen!

I have the 75th anniversary version, I will have to get a picture to post.

Last edited:
There is the Polar Experss gateman called the conductor gateman - sort of conflict of terms there but....
http://www.lionel.com/products/plug-expand-play-the-polar-express-conductor-gateman-6-82735/

I've also seen a Frankenstein's monster one #2329200, a Toms The Tank Engine one #1929160. I thought I had seen a polar express elf one but cannot find any reference to it, but it was a North Pole Central.
I have the Polar Express conductor gatemen. It is sort of a conflict, but it is traditional scale Lionel and the Polar Express no less! There is usually some kind of conflict in traditional scale. But that doesn't spoil the fun for me.

We put the Polar Express Gateman under my wife's Christmas tree. My wife and I both love the Polar Express movie. I need to find a photo of our gatemen.
1708720633547.png

Last edited:
I researched the Gatemen and it appeared in the 1936 catalog. Then it was the 45, all metal.

View attachment 182123

View attachment 182124

Needs a little cleaning.

View attachment 182125
Well, done @Dub!

That makes sense. I read somewhere it is the longest running Lionel accessory.

The Original Gatemen was #45/#O45 later came the #45N. As I understand it the #45 came with a Standard Gauge section of track. The #045 came with an O-Gauge section of track. The #45N did not come with a section of track and could be used with either Standard Gauge or O-Gauge as it came with the #41 track activator. The #41 track activator was replaced in the post war era by the #153C contactor.

The #145 Gatemen first appeared in the 1950s according to Lionel's website.

A quick check of my inventory shows I have a 75th Anniversary Gatemen. God help me I forget what I have!
1708716475317.png

Last edited:
A quick check of my inventory shows I have a 75th Anniversary Gatemen. God help me I forget what I have!
Tell me about it. Somewhere I know I have X in all this stuff somewhere, but what about all the Y and Z I've forgotten through the years.
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG

trainboxes2.jpg
And this was moving INTO the school house. I'm pretty certain it has at least doubled since then.

Edit - oops off topic. There are no Gatemen anywhere in any of these boxes.

Last edited:
Edit - oops off topic. There are no Gatemen anywhere in any of these boxes.
I think you need a Lionel Gatemen! 😁

I've also seen a Frankenstein's monster one #2329200, a Toms The Tank Engine one #1929160. I thought I had seen a polar express elf one but cannot find any reference to it, but maybe it was a North Pole Central.
There are many to choose from!
1708755286798.png

1708755816700.png

1708755336749.png

1708755472351.png

1708755544197.png

1708756048470.png

1708756196793.png

I found these with a quick search. I'm all but certain there are more!.

This is just a great idea for a thread.

I have a couple that came in boxes I posted the oldest but never got them installed.
I thought it would be neat to line them up on a straight and have them activate in sequence.

I have a couple that came in boxes I posted the oldest but never got them installed.
I thought it would be neat to line them up on a straight and have them activate in sequence.
That would be something to see!

Are the #45 and #145 about the same size? I don't have nor have never seen the #45 in person.

I read the Gatemen was originally sized to be used with standard gauge. That is the reason it is so far out of scale.

Last edited:

Back