Lights for Amtrak

I will be lighting a pair of Amtrak P32-8BHW's. I am planning on using an NCE DA-SR decoder. I just need a little help in implementation...

My design specifications I have set out:

On the Front end
-Rule 17 dimming
-flashing ditch lights
-red trailing lights

On the Rear end
-simple rule 17 lighting with ditch lights that do not need to flash

When operating in push mode I would like for only the red lamps to be illuminated.

I need any help I can get with this one. I plan on using the Miniatronics micro-mini lamps for the head and ditch lights (for that good dimming only incandescent bulbs can do) and the red markers are LED's.

If you want to do rule 17 on both headlights then you will need a 6 function decoder. You can go with the TCC 6 function decoder and do what you want. Its a similar situation to the CR units I model except they dont have rear Ditch Lights. Front & Rear Headlight & Markers plus front flashing DL's.

I dont think its going to matter as whatever you do you will have to have seperate Headlights. SO with flashing DL's you will need 4 functions for the front.
1 Headlight
2 for DL's
1 for Markers.
and 2 for the rear if you go minimal which would be
1 for the HL and DL's
1 for the rear markers.
Now you can go all out and get a NCE 8 function decoder and do it properly for both ends but in reality for an amtrak loco how often will you be running long hood forward?

LOL Plus you think that is bad I have a bunch of AEM-7s I am working on and look at it this way.

1 Function for HL
2 Functions for DL's
2 Functions for Strobes
1 Function for Red Markers
1 Function for Emergency Red Strobe

Oh did I mention thats only for 1 end and the AEM-7 has 2 ends to do! LOL

I wasn't going to do the Rear markers, only the front, because I probably wouldn't ever run it long hood forward, or in the so -called ass-dragger position.

So:
1 for headlight
1 for rear light +ditch
2 for front ditches
1 for markers

Does Rule 17 require any more functions?

If thats the way you want to do it then it will work as for rule 17 you just set the function output to rule 17 lighting. Only thing it will do is dim all the rear lights but if you dont mind then that is a good compromise. You will be fine setting it up like that.

LOL Plus you think that is bad I have a bunch of AEM-7s I am working on and look at it this way.

1 Function for HL
2 Functions for DL's
2 Functions for Strobes
1 Function for Red Markers
1 Function for Emergency Red Strobe

Oh did I mention thats only for 1 end and the AEM-7 has 2 ends to do! LOL

dammmmmmmm. Good thing I haven't worked on my alp44 for nj transit yet. LOL

A directional switch might be a good thing in your case. Just change where the common goes.

Next question: I'm planning on using miniatronics micro mini incandescents. What sort of resistors should I use and where? I once saw an article that used diodes to male a sort of power supply and made a crude version of it and Seemed to work okay. I think it's on Tony's trains site....

The markers are LED's.

Thanks for The input thus far!

LOL ya well I have 2 or 3 NJT Alp44's and around 10 AEM-7's so that will be quite the project.

a friend who models njt did a alp44 with all the functioning lights. i should ask him what he has done to get it to all work.

Back