LIFE-LIKE locomotive question

tahoebob54

Today our club had a open house and members were also selling equipment, I picked up this Life Like locomotive really cheap. I really like the way it looks and feels. I just got back into model RR after 26 years and my how things have changed. When I took the cover off this is what is inside.Can anyone tell me anything about this loco, and just what is the circuit board for. Years ago all i ran was Athearn blue box locos, very simple. could this be DCC ready? the loco was made in china, I guess I'm just trying to figure out what I have and is it a good loco or whatever.
IMG_0201.jpg

Did you try running it? Many of those early engines had a grease in the gearing that would turn into thick honey consistency,...even to the point of shutting down motion. That old lube needs to be washed out and relubed with an oil.

Can't tell for sure from your photo, but it looks to be a 1K model rather than a 2K one. The hand grab rails appear to be molded on rather than separate wires

I don't see a DCC receptacle so it is not 'DCC ready'

Last edited:
Welcome, Bob. I just finished cleaning a Proto worm gear. The bushings would not turn because of the green grease. I cleaned it off with 90% isopropyl alcohol and gave it drop of Labelle 108. It's all good now.

As far as DCC, it looks like the early versions with solder pads for decoder wires and marks on traces to cut to electrically separate the wheels and motor. I've never done one like that and would probably remove the circuit board all together. If you want, there are drop in decoders available.

Last edited:
There has just recently been the same question in another thread and I have one of these earlier types as well. My choice if (or when) I convert will be to remove that circuit board and replace it with a modern DCC decoder, the theory being that by the time you mess around modifying that one and soldering the various connections to it, you may as well do it straight to where the functions are used. The lights that are with it are bulbs which on the later productions became LEDS of the same physical size and should be available from Walthers.

Can anyone tell me anything about this loco, and just what is the circuit board for.
Looks like a Proto-1000 loco. The circuit board is for "constant" and directional lighting effects.

It is a very nice locomotive.

If you do replace the circuit board with a DCC decoder remember that the locomotive headlamps are 1.5V and require a resistor. Some circuit board replacement DCC decoders have a built in resistor that cutting a trace or not determines voltage output to the lamps (an NCE DA-SR does not and requires an external resistor).

Back