LHS that displays running trains.

hamltnblue

The other day I visited a large LHS in my area. Over the years I never paid much attention to the 2 layouts that are usually running one or more trains.
I happened to stop and look at the HO layout and noticed the train was being pulled by an Atlas loco which had no handrails at about 1/2 to 3/4 max speed.
A lightbulb went off in my head. These people are taking product off the shelf, running them for hours on end, then re-boxing them to sell as new. The layout has relatively tight turns so only really supports 4 axle locos.
I wont be buying any 4 axle loco's there from now on.
Just something to think about when you see similar in your travels.

I have a "LHS" that has a layout, and a 36 inch circle in a window. I doubt the layout has run.... eh... in a while. I doubt he tries to sell that stuff as new. If he does, it's probably on eBay.

one of the ones by me has a layout, although it is not operational at the time. it ran before they moved. most of the time they would take a new loco and run it around the track once or twice, just to make sure it ran before they put it on the shelf. they have on occasion used one for a while. if you new which one that they were using, and wanted to buy it they would sell it at a discount. but if you didnt know, they would sell it at full price.

Did you ask him if that is what he was doing? Perhaps it was a loco that was returned by a customer that had been pretty much abused but the store owner wanted to stand by his rule of accepting returns. Give him the benefit of the doubt and find out the truth.

Sadly the term "used" doesen't mean used by a purchaser, it means "used". Automobiles cannot be sold as "new" if they have more than a certain amount of miles... 50 or so. After that they are "Demonstrators" and shortly dealer used. Honest hobby shop owners should have the same morals as car deales... at least. A few hundred feet is a test. More? Is not a test it's being used.

Big Four Hobbies in Plainfield, Indiana, does not do that -- they've had the same motive power on their layout for years. They are some of the finest people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Big Four Hobbies in Plainfield, Indiana, does not do that -- they've had the same motive power on their layout for years. They are some of the finest people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Yeah, generally the LHS's I've patronized over the years have had the same power on their show layout for long time-frames - like years and years.

I'm still not clear, though, on why you think they're reselling them at yours hamiltnblue. The only thing I note in your post is that it had no handrails and was running at 1/2 to 3/4 full speed... ? Not sure why that would suggest they're gonna pull it off an resell it...

Why do you think they are reselling them?
Not Reselling but selling for first time as new.
The missing handrails gives it away. Atlas ships their silver and golds with handrails not installed.
The loco's do change. Like I said I never pay much attention but the motive power does change.
They do the same with the O and G scales.

If you have a strong inkling that this is happening, why not just ask? If you don't want to ask, then let it go. Can't be scared!

I think you are a little bit finger pointing here, just ask them, should you buy a model you think has been run like this, the original warranty from purchase date still applies. Its not like your buying a lemon locomotive, it shows the engine can perform well. If they run it they will find torn up gears first and deal with it. If you feel its slightly used perhaps they'll give a bit of a discount.

Be grateful you have a LHS in your area... None near me, closest thing is a hobbytown and they don't offer much for N scale. Been trying to get them to reorder flex track for weeks, nothing!

I'd love to have a LHS near me with their trains running around a layout new or used!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily I have several others that I can frequent more. The LHS I've been spending a lot of money at for several years. They'll get less now.
As to questioning them, It's a big store with a large staff. No used getting in an argument with one of them over something obvious. Warranty or not when I buy something new I expect it to be so. If I want used I can go to ebay and get it much cheaper.

here new car mileage does not matter, it can be sold as new regardless of miles. i wouldnt necessarily be concerned about buying a loco that had been run on their track for a little bit. if i see them running it two weeks later i would worry a little more, maybe not so much as about the mechanism, but all the times it has been handled. wouldn't hurt to ask, maybe there is a plausible explanation.

G'day....Maybe slightly off topic but..........When you buy a new model...to get it to run correctly , there is prescribed method to "Run in" the loco to expand it's motor life fully.
Maybe this is what they do ...Maybe they run in some locomotives.....a long shot but a possibility...Even if not , so long as they sell the locomotive as an "ex- demonstration" one with a nice few bucks off the new price , I'd say it'd be okay...and so long as a decent warranty period still existed just incase of a fault...Honest and up front would be okay for me. Let the buyer beware.....Cheers Rod..

you have to remember some modeler's experience they are getting off the shelf models, never run. they get it home, place it on the layout to if it runs and --eeerrrps--- it does nothing. Its happenned to me, the ebayed hobby shop replaced it free. The replacement was perfect. I'd say good for them to give these engines a workout, they will find issues before the public gets them. I see and hear your gripe, but its a whole differrent animal. This is a hobby, a builder's hobby. Be ready if your favorite engine you have been running goes...---errrp--- be ready to do some surgery on your engine on your own. Ever build an engine kit? Of course under warranty you still return it. This hobbyshop I am sure they will want to keep YOU the customer happy, if you are concerned about pre-running, let them know, but its your choice to buy from them. Models like Atlas, the cost is like ranged 50 bucks to 300 bucks, but for me I have bought brass, and some EXPENSIVE brass, and guess what, you may never get this brand new perfect run out of the box, I always have to give the engine the once over, and possibly a work over to fix issues, there's no way to return because the manufacturer is long gone. Its up to...ME.

G'day....Maybe slightly off topic but..........When you buy a new model...to get it to run correctly , there is prescribed method to "Run in" the loco to expand it's motor life fully. Maybe this is what they do ...Maybe they run in some locomotives.....a long shot but a possibility...Even if not , so long as they sell the locomotive as an "ex- demonstration" one with a nice few bucks off the new price , I'd say it'd be okay...and so long as a decent warranty period still existed just incase of a fault...Honest and up front would be okay for me. Let the buyer beware.....Cheers Rod..
this is absolutely correct, the manufacturers may actually build the works tight and allow run in to loosen up the workings...BY DESIGN. This is critical on many steam kits because it evens out the gears and bushings making a smooth mesh and a smooth running engine.

G'day Dinwitty and all , Thanks , yes....not even just with steam ones either...A friend bought a really nice IRC SD 40-2 with CN paint , about a year ago..Brand new , seals on box not touched..He opened it up , sat it on the tracks ...it ran but was all over the place...just seemed 'tight'...so we ran it in for intermittent periods , changed the speed and direction often , ran both directions , both ways ....with in a few minutes ...you could almost see it freeing up...and fairly quickly it ran perfectly...there was also an issue later on with a sound re-set...which turned out to be fairly easy...but running wise it was good with a run in...Every new one I buy now , this is a must do..Cheers Rod

Back