Lets see your snowplows!!!!

PlowGuy

Hey Everyone, Been looking around the internet for a while now for a good Model Railroading message board and seems like this is the one!!! I have seen lots of good info on here and have seen some really nice models and pictures!!!!

Well, By my user name you can probably tell that I love Snowplows!!! I like other things as well, but my passion when it comes to model railroading is Plows!!! There is just something about them that is unique..... A lot of people have never even seen one, others had no idea that they even existed!! I also like other maintenance of way items and old rusty tractors in a good layout. The construction sites, gravel pits, and logging scenes are some of my favorites!!!

Anyway, Below are the plows that I currently own, some are works in progress, some were done for me, and others were aquired over the internet.
Please feel free to add to the thread and show us some pictures of your plows!!!!

Sorry for the generic pics, I do not have a layout and am working on a small diorama for better pictures. There were taken quickly this afternoon just so I could post them up.

Post what you have!!!!!! :D

Walthers Russell Plow painted in B&M Blue, Work in progress:
DSCN4392.png

Northeastern Wooden Russell Plow , Work in progress:
DSCN4391.png

Custom Built Logging Plow from Online:
DSCN4390.png

Run of the mill Plastic Wedge plow by Riverossi:
DSCN4389.png

Custom Northeastern RDG plow from Online
DSCN4388.png

Original Triang Plow as its painted from Factory:
DSCN4387.png

Triang Plow I painted in B&M, Work in progress:
DSCN4386.png

Last but not least my Favorite, I built this Walthers Plow and had a good friend of mine paint it up and weather it to a prototype from when I was a kid. Attached is the model, then another pic of the model next to some pics I gave him. He did a great job and is my centerpiece for now!!!
DSCN4385.png

100_6780.png

Nice topic to start. I only have 1 russell plow. its still unpainted. Not sure what road name to paint it in.

I do want to get an overland brass jordan spreader/plow someday.

Boy, those are some nice snow plows. I'm not sure I'd like to be the guy up in that cab when they were bucking drifts. :eek: For some reason, I've always been partial to flangers. I don't have it any longer, but I built a model of the V&T #52 in my younger days.

52%20UNRS-P2271-F_small.jpg

When I worked in W.Virginia in 1988 there was 2 of those plows behind an Army Surplus store on main st. downtown. They were in a junk yard under the overpass behind the store. They were about half buried in soft WV dirt & clay. There were also 2 old time short passenger cars on both sides of them from the 20's. I would stop everytime I serviced that yard & at 1 time had a bunch of pictures of them. This was in Charleston.
Anyway, those are fantastic looking plows. Look like the real thing, especially the tagged one at the bottom.

Welcome to the forums!
I love that little "home groaner" in the third pic.
Looks like something tMonty Python would come up with!

Hey PlowGuy, Great modeling job! I to am a "BIG" B & M fan. My great granddad was a steam engineer and my grandfather was a bridge inspector. Both served and retiered the East Deerfield yard, living in Greenfield till both of their passing. I to am new to this forum and hope to find a great many new friends. Hope to talk to you again soon. Scotty

Hey PlowGuy, Great modeling job! I to am a "BIG" B & M fan. My great granddad was a steam engineer and my grandfather was a bridge inspector. Both served and retiered the East Deerfield yard, living in Greenfield till both of their passing. I to am new to this forum and hope to find a great many new friends. Hope to talk to you again soon. Scotty

Glad to see another Fan of New England Railroads!!! I grew up in New Hampshire and the old Manchester & Lawrence line (B&M) ran right behind our house (about 1/4 mile away, but I could see it across a field) Anyway they ended up pulling up the tracks and I rode my Dirtbikes and ATV's there untill they turned it into a Rails to Trails Jogging path. Havent been up that way in about 3 years, but looking forward to it this summer to see the good ol B&M cars left in Boston and the Nashua Yard. Welcome to the board too!!!! I just signed up myself a few days ago!

Well, I finished up the Walthers and Triang Plows, Got the decals in yesterday and did some weathering. I see lots of mistakes that I made, but I take them as lessons learned for the next one!!!
Sorry for the plain Jane pics, planning on building a small 2X4 diorama this weekend to get more "interesting" pictures!!!
Let me know what you think, constructive criticism is always welcome. I usually do a little more of a "rust / grime" look with paint and stain, but for these I only used artist pastel chalks ground into powders and applied with a dry brush.

DSCN4447.png

DSCN4448.png

DSCN4449.png

DSCN4450.png

DSCN4451.png

DSCN4452.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The model and weathering looks great to me. I use mostly chalks for weathering and I like the effect. Your model has a well used appearance without being a rust bucket.

BTW: What's SNOW? Hehehehehehehe.......

Good question, Seems like I vaguely remember soem kind of white stuff we used to see around here several times a year, but haven't seen any any quantity for about 4 - 5 years.

I think we used to call it "Freezy Skid Stuff"!!:eek: :p

Back