Let's see your police/fire scenes

I didn't get any photos of it, but when on a layout tour recently on of the layouts had a police car setup behind a convertible in a secluded part of the woods with the officer approaching to find a couple......ummm occupying......the back seat.

Very well done, probably looks better then I've described it though.

Ah, Chief, I think we have a problem.

My first FD lost my favorite truck of all time that way... they went through an unmarked bridge on a private driveway... good thing for the home owners it was just a false alarm.... as it was they couldn't get the truck out for 3-4 days (needed a crane) and then they had to re-build the bridge. (On their dime... county was not at fault since there was no weight limit posted...)

On Scene

doing the size up.
3934987446_5fcfebf8f7_b.jpg

Mike:D

Nice scene, Mike! You've got some nice vintage equipment, too. I can't read the signs of the pickets/protesters/?? in the first picture. Good painting/weathering on the buildings.

Nice Mike!..love the laid hoses. Did the fire company come from the building next door? A short trip!...Maybe all I'd add is some smoke blackening above the windows. Some nice vehicles you have.

Nice Mike!..love the laid hoses. Did the fire company come from the building next door? A short trip!...Maybe all I'd add is some smoke blackening above the windows. Some nice vehicles you have.

Ya noticed that did you,about the station just down the street.I tell everyone they were on there way back from building inspections,lol...

LOL Nice cover!! I just thought maybe they were from a another company house(because of the way the trucks were facing!)...I'll let you get back to saving the people on the roof!!

Busted

Guess the donut shop is closed so we find the local PD doing there job.makin it safe on the other side of the tracks.
4466895953_a72e98a67e_b.jpg

I dig those old Seagrave units. Resin Unlimited makes or made them. I have the open cab pumper.

I also have what might be the last set of Dyna-Models Dalmatians. 4 pups, one of which is trying to put out a fire at a local hydrant. I have Sparky and the Chief too, the new one from Woodland Scenics. All of my departments have Dals.

why are there no more dyna models dals?? I need to find some... I gotta put MY pups on the railroad

I am pretty sure DM is out of business, that's why there are no more Dals. Sparky is well done though in the new WS Auto Scene. A fire station without a Dal is like a day without sunshine.

ABSOLUTELY!

DSC04267.jpg

It's a shame about the dyna-models ones.. maybe they will pop up on ebay...

Dals are supposed to be that way. Their "working class" is actually Coach Dog (not to be confused with the similar looking Couch Dog...)
DSC04051.jpg

That is why you see Dalmatians at fire stations and also with the Budweiser Clydesdale wagon team. (and no it's not because firefighters drink a lot of beer...) Horses are naturally fearful of dogs. In the wild wolves eat mustangs, so it's an instinctive thing. Back in the days of horse drawn coaches, and long before even horse-drawn fire engines, the Dalmatians were raised in the stables right along with the horses. The horses knew and were comfortable with the dogs they grew up with... but ONLY those specific dogs. The coach dogs job was to keep the horses calm by keeping stray dogs, and people away from the horses. They way to do this was, yes, by being aggressive. As horse-drawn, steam-powered fire engines came into use, the Dals still had a job or running ahead of the fire engine, scaring off any stray animals. Once on scene, they had to continue to keep back any stray dogs, as well as what we firefighters today call the "oooo!!! AAAHH!!!!" squad: the gawkers who constantly get in our way and ask stupid questions. In time, as horses were replaced by gasoline and diesel, the Dals stuck around... but yes, they still can be a little snarly.

Disclaimer: My 2 dogs, Pumper (with the black eye) and Tanker are Dalmatian-Hound mixes. The hound mixture really mellows them out, but Pumper still has a little Dalmatian attitude in him. Tanker on the other hand, has the personality of a hound... if not for his brother barking at every car that drives by, he'd just lay in the sun all day...

Tucker, Trea and Teddy were all liver spotted (reddish brown spots) as opposed to the more familiar B&W Dals. My town of Tuckersville is named for the ol' fella, and the Dal out front will be liver spotted. That will mean repainting one of the Dals to white and then using a toothpick to put the proper spots on him.

Chief and Duke were B&W males. I'm currently raising Black Labradors, but I have a couple more Dals left in me before the Lord decides to take me on to the next world, so my next dog will be a Dal, most likely a liver male.

Back