Let's get LOADED!!!.....

Larry, some really nice loads you've created. Are those auto frames in the D&RGW gondola? I can remember auto frames being transported stacked on open gondolas like that but I haven't seen any in many years. I wonder how they get transported now?

yes, they are auto frames. Haven't a clue how they are shipped now, probably in a cereal box. :D

Larry

Nice stuff Larry!
Speaking of loads thru tunnels, I backed my first Amtrak train into my upper helix and discovered the portal had no clearance in that direction!
Also found out this would be a great time to fill in the missing mountain side where the first two cars disappeared into...

Finished up the loco on a flat car. Also, changed the flat car. Made another load w/an 89ft. trailer flat & added some color to the fuel filter on a flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I go into the Dollar Tree stores & Toys-R-Us I'm always looking for weird stuff for car loads. Those half wheels on those flats are made out of drive wheels from a large R/C tank.
The wire spools on the flat that has the computer fan is sewing machine bobbins.
The little loco on the HD flat had a real bad squeek when it ran & the wheels were a little bit narrow for HO. It's a foreign job that someone gave me many years ago. It made a nice load for that flat car.
I've still got some more flats to find loads for. Weird stuff I hope. LOL
I've been thinking about getting 1 of those rockets from WM cutting it in half & installing it on 2 flat cars.

Larry

Couple more loads that I worked on today. The 1st 2 are canvas covered Nasa loads & then the next one is a revision of my small transformer. I put it on a Westinghouse HD flat. The other 1 is a new load that I haven't did any tiedowns yet. Got 3 diff. items on the bulkhead flat.

Larry

yes, they are auto frames. Haven't a clue how they are shipped now, probably in a cereal box. :D

Larry

open flatcars. Got a pic somewhere (proto), I'll try to dig it up tomorrow. But since most cars are unibody (no frame), they're now truck frames. Pickup trucks that is.

fwiw, a lot are made in mexico so we see them often here in Texas heading to stateside factories for completion.

I picked up 3 nice new in the box "bulkhead flats" from our very own prodigy2k7 here on our forum. He gave me purty good deal on all 3. They are Union Pacific, Athearn R-T-R with decent details. i was really surprised on one thing that caught me off guard. I was expecting the "pipe loads" to be plastic and wouldnt you know it they were metal! WOW! This added some real weight in the cars! Love it! Turns out this particular number is discontinued but others are being made.

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH92730

here are the variety that was offered and some are still being offered...

http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=60'+Flat+RTR&CatID=THRF

Any how I got 3 of them and 2 of them will get some serious weathering and will number changes. Unfortunately all 3 flats had the same road numbers but that not a major deal to me.

Alco out!

I've seen some nice loads on this thread.

This is a Red Ball flat car kit that I picked up at the NMRA Piedmont Division auction about a year ago.

IMG_3405.png

I finally got around to building it although I haven't gotten around to applying any decals.

IMG_3411.png

These are the pieces of the load that came with it.

IMG_3412.png

It's supposed to be a Western Electric flat car and these are what passes for large spools of cable (there are 12 in all for a full load).

IMG_3414.png

I guess I can paint the wood spools black or grey but I don't think that they will ever pass for a spool of cable. I guess I'll discard them and use the flat for whatever load is next. Who knows, it might be a load that I've seen on this thread.

Ray

I guess I can paint the wood spools black or grey but I don't think that they will ever pass for a spool of cable. I guess I'll discard them and use the flat for whatever load is next. Who knows, it might be a load that I've seen on this thread.
Ray

Hey Ray,

Just paint em up and use them as is. The flat car looks great too.

Nice transformer and car, Larry.

Ray, just get some waxed black thread and wrap those spools. I've done it before and comes out looking like a reall cable spool. Don't toss them, you can come up a lot of other uses even if you decide not to use them on the flatcar.

Nice transformer and car, Larry.

Ray, just get some waxed black thread and wrap those spools. I've done it before and comes out looking like a reall cable spool. Don't toss them, you can come up a lot of other uses even if you decide not to use them on the flatcar.

I thought about that, but the wood core is slightly larger that the silver reels. There is no lip and I think it would be obvious with the thread wrapped around the spool. But it can't hurt to try. When I said I would discard them, I didn't mean I was throwing them away. I didn't think model railroaders ever threw anything away, especially something that might be used 10 or 15 years down the road.

Ray

I thought about that, but the wood core is slightly larger that the silver reels. There is no lip and I think it would be obvious with the thread wrapped around the spool. But it can't hurt to try. When I said I would discard them, I didn't mean I was throwing them away. I didn't think model railroaders ever threw anything away, especially something that might be used 10 or 15 years down the road.

Ray

That's what I thought too. Could you chuck the wooden spools in a drill, with a bolt and nut for a mandrell, and turn them down to a smaller diameter than the silver reels? Then wrap them with thread or fine wire.

Just a thought.

Rotor

That's what I thought too. Could you chuck the wooden spools in a drill, with a bolt and nut for a mandrell, and turn them down to a smaller diameter than the silver reels? Then wrap them with thread or fine wire.

Just a thought.

Rotor

That's not a bad idea. I might give it a try.

Ray

Ray, those look like cable spools with cardboard wrapping.
We used to get those at Hydro, they protect the cable from debris and stones.
Once a lubed cable gets any dirt in it it's pretty much pooched.

Rico, I never thought of that but you're right. We used to get cable rolls wrapped in a thick waxed plastic coated paper to protect the cable from dirt and grime. Those drums, although looking slightly odd to non-electrical guys, are just right for that application.

Back