Let's get LOADED!!!.....

Anybody have any new loads? Time to re-load this thread with some fresh ammo! lol ....any takers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well with this next Train show coming up I will be looking for some shells (train bodies) for doing some flat loads like the picture above on the last post. I have been doing some more research for proto pics in of course UP stuff...also looking for CAT stuff too.

I threw this together this week, think it fits the bill.

100_1471.jpg

Need to get them chains to hold that long hood on that flat!

Good question where does everyone get there chains etc from?

I use tiny jewelry chain. I usually hit the junk shops & buy their xtra cheap neck chains & ankle chains. The last time I went to a garage sale I bought quite a bit of chain for about 5 bucks. I usually look for the smallest chains & they usually are just right for HO. I also use real narrow black tape for metal strap bindings & I also use wood model ship rigging for ropes. rigging string comes in tan or black & is on a spool. I have about 10 spools of both colors that I bought at a garage sale for 50 cents. I also use very fine black wire out of a transformer for tie downs. I use a lot of wood RR ties in my scale for wheel stops for tractors, etc.

Larry

Here's a couple of Home Groan loads I have kicking around.
The first is a computer fan sprayed with primer, sorry 'bout the fuzzy pic!
Next shot is a couple of 100' beams loaded on two flats.
Not as easy to make as one would think, there's some physics involved in the sliders when you come to a curve!
(Yeah I know, I neeed more chains und straps.)

Alcomotive, thank you kind sir!!! I like to do different things as you can tell by my work. I try to think of new and very different things to model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome, nice work on getting those cranes to load up the scrap. I really like that support frame you made for the long hood.

Jerome, nice work on getting those cranes to load up the scrap. I really like that support frame you made for the long hood.

Jim, I really just kinda made it up on the fly. It seemed like the way it would be done. I first looked at 4 chains right off of the lift rings, but they hit the fans on the rear.

Jerome, I have no idea if that's the way it would really be done either but it makes mechanical sense. If you tried to lift the hood with just the lifting rings, I think you would end up damaging the fans and sides of the hood. When they're being shopped, a traveling crane is direcly overhead so it can lift straight up using the bolts. With a crane lifting from an angle, some kind of support to keep the chains even and straight up from the anchor points would seem to be the only way to do it. I've seen a similar type of thing for lifting precast roof panels and it just looks right to me. Any railroaders here who've seen how this is done in real life?

Back