Leaving the paper templates on the layout

Maxandy

I have created a full scale track diagram and printed it out using AnyRail. I have noticed that some people try to scribe through the paper and leave marks on the subroadbed(foam) for track placement. They lift the paper off and proceed to lay track on the scribed marks. Is there an issue with just leaving the paper plan on the roadbed, gluing it down and laying track directly over the template? Thanks....

There shouldn't be, but depending on the paper\glue, it might bubble up under your landscaping.

Just throwing this in there......I don't know what you're laying your track on, but would a pounce wheel be of any help? Marking the center line.

Anyone want to chime in as to why I should just forget removing the paper pattern from under the track?

I had thought that it might interfere with other adhesive efforts around the track,...such as ballasting or other scenic materials, etc

One fellow responded,
The 1:1 track templates stay permanently on my layout and that's perfect for me. Designed with CADrail SW and printed on a HP T120 from a paper roll. First, the prints serve as a template to cut the roadbed, then they are glued on permanently. One thing to be aware: gluing anything on top of the paper is a weak bond. You need to use screws or cut out the paper where a strong bond is needed. I am also using track nails.

Anyone want to chime in as to why I should just forget removing the paper pattern from under the track?

I had thought that it might interfere with other adhesive efforts around the track,...such as ballasting or other scenic materials, etc

One fellow responded,
The 1:1 track templates stay permanently on my layout and that's perfect for me. Designed with CADrail SW and printed on a HP T120 from a paper roll. First, the prints serve as a template to cut the roadbed, then they are glued on permanently. One thing to be aware: gluing anything on top of the paper is a weak bond. You need to use screws or cut out the paper where a strong bond is needed. I am also using track nails.
Thank you for your help. Regards....

What I am doing is basically taking relatively small sections of the layout, marking some location marks, cutting the paper pattern out in ckunks, the gluing the cork roadbed down. For instance in my freight yard I was doing a series of yard ladder turnouts as a group, then the parallel tracks one at a time.,...cutting out srips of the pattern paper, then gluing the cork down.

I didn't have this problem because I didn't use templates. But let's think outside of the box here. How about taping the templates to the benchwork, laying your cork or whatever roadbed over the track parts, tracing the roadbed, and then cutting it out. Then you would have an outline/stencil of where to fasten the roadbed. Templates would be removed after the roadbed is affixed.

Hi Willie - yeah, that is the direction I think I'm moving in. Its really a template for the roadbed and not the track, The track should go together if I do this properly. This particular portion is a yard and not a main line. I was originally planning to lay directly on the foam and would nor use cork. I nixed that and will use small sheets of cork. Thanks for your input. Regards, Keith

Hi Willie - yeah, that is the direction I think I'm moving in. Its really a template for the roadbed and not the track, The track should go together if I do this properly. This particular portion is a yard and not a main line. I was originally planning to lay directly on the foam and would nor use cork. I nixed that and will use small sheets of cork. Thanks for your input. Regards, Keith
Also, I really like AnyRail. The amount of time this is saving and the degree of accuracy that you can get on the completed design is fantastic. It really makes me appreciate what the "old timers" had to do and how talented they were.

TBH, you probably could just leave it in place. I personally used what is essentially Elmer's glue to glue the foam track bed to the foam board. Brushing on a sufficient amount of thinned out glue would probably get enough saturation to get not have issues with adhesion when the track goes down. Obviously, assuming that I'm not getting too crazy with the minimum radii on any of the turns.

That being said, there's a nearly infinite number of ways in which you could do it ranging from high tech methods like projecting the track layout onto the board using a projector, using a laser cutter to create a template you can draw through to low tech like just measuring straight bits and using flexible track to connect the straight stretches of track.

Thanks Frank. When I printed out the life-size track plan(AnyRail) and laid it out on the layout I was thinking why not just glue it down and work off of that to lay out the track. I did not understand why folks were carving through the template to leave marks on the subroadbed when you could just lay the track over the template. Thanks again for your feedback.

Here's a post showing how I used paper templates and a Sharpie marker to transfer my track plan to the layout surface:

- Jeff

Back