Learned a lesson on these log cars!

The lesson I learned was NOT to build 24 of ANYTHING at once! I should have learned that when I built 4 brass Climax enginnes at the same time -- repetition is awful!
This fiasco came about as I was building an MDC skelton log car, they are cast metal , that is grained to look like wood. I liked the way it turned out and decided a whole fleet would be nice and if they were supposed to be wood in the prototype why not make the model of real wood. The wood part was easy , but when it came time to drill over 800 .018 holes in the brass reinforcement straps etc-- it got Awful in a hurry! But they got done and then I realized they were too light to work properly unless loaded with WEIGHTED logs!!
OH well they look great in the show case.

Dave

Nothing like being a one man assembly line is there! I found my limit years ago was 6 of anything and lately that is 5 too many some days.

They look good.

There's a menber of one of the clubs I go to here, was building Australian NSW rolling stock kits and selling them on our local eBay till a short while ago (had some health issues) and he was turning out quite a number.

Sold about 20 or more I think he said to Pilbara train driver who used to order them via his laptop while in his cab.

The secret he reckoned to any mass production is to have yourself well set up with jigs and clamps to hold the bits in place so you've got your hands free.

There's a menber of one of the clubs I go to here, was building Australian NSW rolling stock kits and selling them on our local eBay till a short while ago (had some health issues) and he was turning out quite a number.

Sold about 20 or more I think he said to Pilbara train driver who used to order them via his laptop while in his cab.

The secret he reckoned to any mass production is to have yourself well set up with jigs and clamps to hold the bits in place so you've got your hands free.

Thats a good idea --that way you can tear your own hair out rather than asking for help with it!:rolleyes:

Those cars are beauty! Antique looking wonders......art cars! Maybe put some lead inside the lowest logs for weight?

Mike

Those cars are beauty! Antique looking wonders......art cars! Maybe put some lead inside the lowest logs for weight?

Mike

What about on the way back-up from the sawmill to the camps?

Perhaps you could use a dremel tool to carefully mill-out the undersides of the wood frames and pour molten lead in there? Be a shame to let all that work sit in a display case.

What about on the way back-up from the sawmill to the camps?

Perhaps you could use a dremel tool to carefully mill-out the undersides of the wood frames and pour molten lead in there? Be a shame to let all that work sit in a display case.

Thanks for the thought but the amount of weight one could add that way is not enough. I think perhaps when I do get a place to run them ,that to PUSH them back in FRONT of an engine might work if there is no other type of car in the string.

Dave

Back