layout room lighting

OldTrail

High Tech Recycler
as most of you are aware, I am preparing my basement for my 18 by 28 N scale layout. I was going to use a combination of 2 by 4 lay in flourecent troffer lights and incandecant track lighting for layout lighting. However, it has come to my attention the DAMAGING effect of the flourecent lights, which will be on most of the time, except during opp sessions.

As an EX electrical contractor i should be able to answer these questions my self, but I've been "out of the loop" for a while. SO:

1) are there sleeves for the flourecent tubes that block the UV rays?

2) I might use recessed can lights, but am afraid that until i install enough of them to well light the room, and the track lighting that the low ceiling may appear "cluttered" and distracting from the layout.

3) how do YOU guys light your train room?

4) i can't use a vallance as the ceiling is allready too low less than 6'8" finished

As always your input is appreciated

Ryan

Ryan, I know that Walmart uses sleeves on all their fluorescent tubes to block out UV's, so, I'm sure you could get some at Home Depot or your favorite builder. I don't use them on my layout because the lites are real high in my 14ft. tall building. I used a shade over the front of my lites many years ago on a low ceiling that stopped all the glare from reaching the people standing at the front of the layout tables. All I used was a piece of dark plastic that covered the bulb in the front. The fixtures were all 2 bulbs ea.

Larry

We have track lighting that we got from Menards on sale. It is really nice because you can change where the lighting is and it allows for you to control the distribution on light very nicely. Also, you are able to dim them so you can get different times fo the day. Plus you can add more bulbs if you want to anywhere in the track.
TrackLighting.png

Since we are in topic, I would like to ask if Energy saver bulbs are good for the job, you knwo electicity bills are high here, donno about you guys, we have ometimes 85% surcharge so the bill comes almost double :S, last bill I received for 6 months was about US$ 650.00, and we really take care of leaving nothing unused on. So I was wondering if these kind of energy saving light bulbs are any good for lighting up a layout ( my layout is a 5' x 9' )

Maxi, the CFL's (Compact Fluorescent Light) are claimed to save $35 over the life of the bulb. However long that might be...

Ok all,here is another question about fluorescent lights.
I have the natural sunlight 40watt,4' tubes from HD, so would they give the same amount of UV and how long are you talking about before the UV affects anything??

Oh,I do slip in from across the tracks and it is more relaxed on this side.

Thanks and talk to you later
Duke

i honestly dont know HOW LONG it takes for the UV to effect plastics and colors. i know that when we run pvc conduit on the exterior of buildings and what seems like not a long time ( 1-2 years) has passed i drive by and the conduit is dicolored from the sun, but thats the sun, are the FL lights that damageing? its really not something i want to find out.....

so those of you who use the filters, do you think they work? have you lifted up structures to compare the surface colors?

not sure why i am so freaked about this

Ryan

This is directly from the GE web site:
"The amount of UV produced by standard fluorescent lamps, such as those in your office, home, or school, is not hazardous and does not pose a major health concern. In fact, a paper by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) explores this subject in more detail. It cites a study in which it was determined that UV exposure from sitting indoors under fluorescent lights at typical office light levels for an eight-hour workday is equivalent to just over a minute of exposure to the sun in Washington, D.C. on a clear day in July."

I think worrying about this is much ado about nothing.

Ryan, I wouldn't sweat it. My goodness, I've played, studyed, and worked under regular old fluorescent lights all my life and never seen anything ruined by them and it hasn't seemed to affect anything human that I've ever heard. Now the people in museums may want to take heed, but they are preserving things for the future of hundreds plus years.
I do like incandescent bulbs (halogen track lights) for the color and use them on my scenery, but I also have my fluorescent on as well.

I think the only person that needs to worry about flourescent UV rays are the pasty white albino Extreme Northern European hermit types who haven't been outside since they came home from the hospital. If then.

Seriously, I doubt that there's much UV problems for a person. I certainly wouldn't think so from the Shop Light perspective like I have over on my layout.

Kennedy

I've replaced most of my Edison bulbs with CFL; and the new Energy bill says the Edisons will be phased out by 2012. So, if you swear by them, you'd better start stocking up now.

The CFLs are starting to be more common, and prices are coming down. Most of my home fixtures have the swirl ones, but I went online to find some shapes and wattages to fit things like my ceiling fan and the bathroom vanity. A lot of them come in Soft White, so the light isn't harsh. And, most of mine come on pretty instantly, though I still have some older ones that need a moment to warm up.

On another list I'm on, we had a discussion about how sturdy these CFLs are, since some say they shouldn't be mounted onto the fixtures on a garage door opener. But, it's OK to use CFL bug lights in outdoor fixtures separate from the opener.

Kennedy

I use CFL floodlights for lighting my layout. The soft white ones give a good range of colors with no hot spots like you'd find with incandescent spots. I've replaced almost every light in my home with regular fluorescents or CFL's because I like the look of fluorescents and they will save a few bucks over the long run.

This idea of outlawing incandescent bulbs after 2012 is another hare-brained government scheme where no one has thought through the consequences. The amount of electricity used in residential lighting is miniscule, somewhere between 6 and 8% of all electricity generated. CFL's contain mercury and represent a huge problem for both waste disposal and handling breakage. You can thow an incandescent bulb in the trash with very little evironmental impact. CFL's will add a huge amount of mercury to landfills unless some disposal system is developed before this nutty idea is implemented.

I've replaced most of my Edison bulbs with CFL; and the new Energy bill says the Edisons will be phased out by 2012. So, if you swear by them, you'd better start stocking up now.
Kennedy
Speaking of that, I saw a guy buy 10 cases from Wal*mart. A case holds what, 30? I think its 6x5...

CFL's contain mercury and represent a huge problem for both waste disposal and handling breakage. You can thow an incandescent bulb in the trash with very little evironmental impact. CFL's will add a huge amount of mercury to landfills unless some disposal system is developed before this nutty idea is implemented.
I wondered about this myself. Here in San Diego, as of the 1st of Jan, we're required by law to recycle everything thats recyclable, areosol cans (including spray paint, as far as I can tell) are included, but light bulbs are not. you'd think they have figured out what to do with them by now.

I was wondering, seeing all of you talking about lots of bulbs, but these spread out across the roof ( above the layout ) at different spacings, does not create a multiple shadow of every standing thing? I don't think this will be much realistic, especially to take pics. Is there any way to arrange these bulbs to get enough light, but get a single shadow?

i was not concerned about the "adverse health effects" but more so color damage to the layout scenery over time and the deterioration of the plastics.

god know all the cigarettes i've smoked and the alcohol ive drank over the years has allready done its toll on my health..... btw, i dont drink any more and am quitting the smoking soon!

Ryan

Ryan, I can't imagine it hurting any color on the layout. Think about it, these lights won't be on that many hours a month.
FYI: Remember with Chantix, you continue smoking the first week while taking pills and stop smoking week 2.

Max, it is hard to avoid shadows...near impossible because of light mounting restrictions. Sometimes you have to make a decision: Am I concerned about lighting my layout for running trains or taking pictures. You can always backlight for photos. ;)

Color damage is a concern, dunno how the CFLs will impact that. But, since my layout has regular flourescent tubes over it, there's not a lot I can do about it. But, those lights aren't on all the time anyway, so the damage potential is minimal.

Regarding mercury contamination, there are two comments. One, if the bulbs last a long time, there should be less going in there. The current lifetime estimates printed on the sides of the CFL boxes are 5-7 years. 5000hrs is 208 days, if the bulb is on for 24hrs a day.

Second, I've read at least one report that stated the mercury level is low enough so that dumping them in the garbage is OK. On that vein, my local municipality has not issued any guidance on disposal of the CFLs as yet. Until they do, they go into the garbage. We really have no local hazmat disposal location; the amount of gas to get there to dump one bulb will cost more than the energy savings.

But, I try not to break these bulbs in the house. I have broken one, but it was still in the package, so nothing fell out into the open. I put the thing in a thick ziploc bag and dumped it in the next trash pickup.

Kennedy

Regarding the level of UV from Flourescent bulbs, the transition lens in eye glasses turn dark from UV. My glasses never change while I am at the layout, so there is not much UV. Again, no more than the lights will be on, I wouldn't worry about it hurting any color on the layout. Good grief, it takes lawn furniture a couple of years before you see any damage...and that's in the direct sun.

Back