Layout Plans Influenced By Forum Posts

Ok I tried this out, it needs more work yet but I had to see what it would look like. The cement footings are not glued in place, and neither are the falls, the area under the trestle needs to be varnished yet. So what do you think of it so far. Comments "Yeah or Ney" welcome as I have a long way to go yet.
Cheers Willis

can almost see salmon fish trying to swim upstream!
How big would a HO salmon be? Who makes them? Well I have HO sea gulls for another part of the layout :D
Cheers Willis

hey hows the project comming along just wondern if you had made anymore progress on the river :D

just wondern if you had made anymore progress on the river
Well I guess you could say quite a bit of progress has been made but a lot more has to be done before it's finished, I'll take a photo tonight. This has been a by the seat of the pants project from the start, so really I have no idea of what it should look like or what I should do to it next. I just do something and if it doesn't look too bad I go on to something else, then sometimes back and redo what's already been done, and on a good night all I need before bed is a tranquilizer Oh well life's like that.
Cheers Willis

...and on a good night all I need before bed is a tranquilizer
But-but-but... Modeling is supposed to be RELAXING, isn't it???

:D Don't talk to me about that today. I've been messing with the drip system all day. Arghhhhhhhhh.

I've been messing with the drip system all day.
Yep one of them sinus tablets will fix that :D

Ok pretty well up to date took these tonight at different stages of the work err fun!

Next question, theres a choice, should the river be a rapids type stream or should it be a deep fast running stream. What would your choice be? Anyone?
I have to make a beam for under the bridge as really it looks too wimpy, a bridge like that would hold a car maybe but an engine, I doubt it.

it looks real good for a after thought good job
:D

with the waterfall you got going on there i think maybe a river with rapids would fit in better the water will be moving fast cause it just came from the falls.

it looks real good for a after thought good job
yes and for the extra times I had to take the saw to it :D
yes rapids would seem like a better choice and I guess would justify the depth of the gully, and I believe it would look better, but how do you make (fake) water that looks like rapids. Now that's another area of modeling I've never tried.
Cheers Willis

hey man any new progress photos to share. i also saw in a difrent thread that your working a diffrent part of your layout as well so if your busy i understand .

Hi emt, well actually it's close to the same area, thought I might have gotten a few more suggestions here before I got right into it. It's kind of daunting in a way as this is my first real layout. I'm not sure of what I'm doing and I just keep trying things. I made some rock molds for the river banks tonight so I'll be back at the river soon. There's a hole back of the rocks, to the left of the falls and if I don't plug it modelbob will see it, since you can't see it in the photos I don't know how, but he will see it and I'm frightened to think of what he might suggest I put there or tear out :D
Cheers Willis

hey i know how feal i am on my 2nd meduim layout at 14' x 11' . the frist one was about as big but was never finished . because of bad track laying and planning on my part :eek: . i hope ths one comes out better

that is also why i am following yours and outher layouts in progress so i can get ideas and tips for mine. :D

OK have a bit more done, but I'm making another rock mould for the outer riverbank. Still a long ways to go, and I'm getting bored working on this side but I'll try to finish the gorge first.
Anyway here's a couple of pics for now. :D
Cheers Willis

Hi Chris, the bottom is plywood , the sides are styrofoam pieces glued together, sandwiched between the top deck and the plywood bottom, then overlayed with plaster impregnated gauze. The rock work on the riverbanks is made of plaster of Paris from rock moulds, that's about it so far.
Cheers Willis

Back