Layout Plans Influenced By Forum Posts

That scene will look pretty sweet when completed.
Hi Galt, I'm open to suggestions to complete it, as far as scenery goes I'm a novice at it.
Cheers Willis

You already have some scenery, so you're ahead of me there. I'm still trying to figure out my benchwork, but all in good time. I should retire so I have more time to work on my layout. :)

I should retire so I have more time to work on my layout
Hmmm! don't believe it, I'm retired an now have less leisure time than when I was on the job. :D
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Hi Marc
Hmm! too bad I hadn't checked earlier, Yep I have three routers, But too late for that.

Ok Bob the deed is done, how deep would you like the Go''''' Gorge :D Note in the tunnel the liner is missing, broke right off with the vibration, could have been worse I guess. Anyway lots of room for falls, deep gorge, fast running river ect, no more sawing though, had to relay the track into the tunnel.
Cheers Willis

now you need to make u brakets out of wood and the longer you make them the deeper the gorge will be. then put the pice you cut out back on the brakets you may need to do some trimming to make it fit in the lower spot on the layout as the gorge and river bottem. then shape your scene around it use news paper for conture you want to put window screen around the out side of the brakets to hold the paper in. and then use plaster cloth to cover the news paper. this is just my idea some people may do it diffrent

Last edited by a moderator:
then put the pice you cut out back on the brakets
OK "U" brackets that's understandable and sounds like a good way to do it :) , but putting the piece I cut out back in is a bit confusing :confused: , Why cut it out in the first place. I think I'm missing a point somewhere here.
Are all the U brackets all the same size or do we make different sizes? I think I'll be going for a deep rugged look here, take away any interest as to where the stream is coming from. (actually a rock wall behind the trestle) :D
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
OK "U" brackets that's understandable and sounds like a good way to do it :) , but putting the piece I cut out back in is a bit confusing :confused: , Why cut it out in the first place. I think I'm missing a point somewhere here.
Are all the U brackets all the same size or do we make different sizes? I think I'll be going for a deep rugged look here, take away any interest as to where the stream is coming from. (actually a rock wall behind the trestle) :D
Cheers Willis

the piece you cut out was at bench leval now your putting it on top of the cross piece of your u brackets wich makes it lower than your bench top.
so 1. you have the shape of the streem and 2. it spans the gaps from one bracket to the other and gives you a solid riverbed.

attachment.php

after looking at the pic more i think you should sim deepness by color. the space betwine the switch and the track that comes out of the tunnel are verry close it might be verry hard to go deep and keep it looking right like it should be there. so make some u brackets to test fit one hight at a time maybe 3" to 4" to 6" deep and install them one at a time in that part of the streem just that part . lay papertowel over it just to see what it looks like and pick the one that looks more like it belongs. then make the brackets for the rest of the streem at the hight you think looked the best

the space betwine the switch and the track that comes out of the tunnel
Yes that area was causing me a bit of concern, it's 3 3/4" wide at that point. I've lifted the switch and track to see if I can relocate them to give a little more width at that point. If not, I guess I'll have to try something like a cascading fast stream, and that'll be another new one for me. I'm still open to new ideas, no local hobbyshop so I have to order the bridges and that will take awhile.
Cheers Willis

Yes that area was causing me a bit of concern, it's 3 3/4" wide at that point
OK that area is now widened at the narrowest point to 5". Needless to say this caused a 100% relocation of the track in the surrounding area. I believe it actually looks a lot better in the present arrangement. The photo just shows the relocation of the track, more photos on the gorge tomorrow.
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
OK that area is now widened at the narrowest point to 5". Needless to say this caused a 100% relocation of the track in the surrounding area. I believe it actually looks a lot better in the present arrangement. The photo just shows the relocation of the track, more photos on the gorge tomorrow.
Cheers Willis

yes that looks much better and i cant waite to see pics of that river its comming along nicely

That looks great, it really gives a reason for the canyon to be there. I think it will look excellent when it's completed!

Mine was not only influenced, but virtually deslgned with help from a Forum member. The only change we made was to shorten the loop at the far right to allow for another spur. (The yellow track is now at grade with the red line.)

The red/yellow lines represent the current phase. Our next step will be to expand the layout another 20-30 feet to the right to allow a reasonable grade to the upper terrace, which is roughly two feet higher than the lower one.

Yeah, I know. At the rate I've been going, I'll be 90 when this is finished! :D

CBCNSfan said:
You mean you're going to be finished before me? :D
Cheers Willis

hey it could be worse i have had my bench work done and wateing for track for a month. but i could not afford to buy the switches i need 18 on the layout it self not counting my yard . but i got the money now and i got the switches them the other day

Lady_Railfan said:
Mine was not only influenced, but virtually deslgned with help from a Forum member....

I have to laugh every time I see that plan. I've got two specialized model railroad design programs 3rd Planit and Cadrail plus Turbocad Pro. Some real serious 3D drafting and rendering horsepower there...

So, one of the few layouts I've designed that actually gets built was done using what program? Microsoft Image Composer, and it looks like I drew it in Crayon. :)

i got the switches them the other day
I bought the last of my switches and track must have been 8 or 9 years ago. Hope you don't take as long as I did to get started. :D Of course I didn't have any bench work done or lumber for that matter.
Cheers Willis

Bob, I hesitated to give you credit for fear you'd be inundated with requests for design help. As for the software, you still need talent and inspiration before any drafting program will work worth beans. You gave me exactly what I needed to stop scratching my head and get started. :)

Willis, I forgot for a moment that a layout is never finished! Yeah, I'll prob'ly be out there with a walker before I'm done with Phase 2. :D

Emt49, it looks like you're off and running! I look forward to hearing more about your progress. And remember, we LOVE pictures around here.

Lady_Railfan said:
Bob, I hesitated to give you credit for fear you'd be inundated with requests for design help. As for the software, you still need talent and inspiration before any drafting program will work worth beans. You gave me exactly what I needed to stop scratching my head and get started. :)

Willis, I forgot for a moment that a layout is never finished! Yeah, I'll prob'ly be out there with a walker before I'm done with Phase 2. :D

Emt49, it looks like you're off and running! I look forward to hearing more about your progress. And remember, we LOVE pictures around here.

ya willia is looking for pics to for some payback (lol) i asked him to post his pics and the next thing he knew he was cutting his bench work for a river :D

the next thing he knew he was cutting his bench work for a river
That's Bob's fault! :D
Ok guess the next place to start will be under the trestle. I cleaned out all ( most of) the plaster so here is where the river starts. Sorry but it HAS to be in full flood, to justify the water being up to top of the concrete footings.
These are made out of popscicle sticks. One thickness under the trestle bents and a drop down piece (5 ends glued together) in the front to give the appearance of a larger footing. These pieces will be painted to represent concrete. The water should kind of shoot out (like a Dam spillway)and hide the fact ther really is no depth at all. Ok check the pic and toss in an idea or two because I have absolutely no idea of what I'm doing. Plastering a piece of plywood mixing some colors for a depth look and a coat of varnish is my total experience, and that just won't do here :(
Cheers Willis

Gee doesn't anyone know how to make a waterfall? :(
Any idea would be welcome.
Cheers Willis

Back