Layout on HOLD

It is good that I got to run trains for a little bit. I really don't want to do it a whole lot the way it is right now though, with there not being a lot of support under the track. I went by Lowes today, and they didn't have the foam sheets in anything thicker than 1/4 inch. So it looks like I am probably just going to order it from Woodland Scenics, unless someone knows somewhere cheaper to order it. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Crappity Crap Crap Crap...........I didn't get to get my foam yesterday, since we didn't get that stimulus check. That friggin sucks. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait till it does come, so that I can get some. I think I got my hopes up a little to much about that check. Well, as soon as I do get foam, I will get started on it, and get some updated pics for everyone. Just a little update on what I got going on.

LOL......here is an update.....I am still waiting. ha ha ha....I am trying to talk my wife into letting me take some money out of savings to do it, but she won't give. I have gotta find a way to better sweet talk her. lol

Hint: Sometimes you've got to give a little to get............

Yeah a walk in the woods and some wild flowers is a great way to start the conversation with the wife.

However if there is active house building going on in the area ask the guys when they will start insulating sometimes they use foam and can get you pretty goo cut offs for free.

Yeah a walk in the woods and some wild flowers is a great way to start the conversation with the wife.

However if there is active house building going on in the area ask the guys when they will start insulating sometimes they use foam and can get you pretty goo cut offs for free.

I have been trying. I have taken her out to dinner 3 times now, and she hates flowers, and no she doesn't just say that. lol I bought her flowers one time for Valentine's Day, and she got pissed. I have actually tried a lot of things, and she won't budge. I am gonna keep trying though. As far as the building going on around here, I have already tried that...ha ha ha....none of them were using the sheet foam insulation. They were all using that insulation you blow in with a hose. I can't remember what they called it. I am selling some things from my truck, so hopefully I will be getting my foam soon. First thing is my CD player getting sold on Monday. That will get me enough to get the foam I need. Then if the guy buys these speakers I have, that will get me enough to get the rest of the stuff I need to at least get the track laid. Woohoo. I am slowly getting there.

They put the foam on the sides of the houses, not in the attics. Look for houses under construction that have Tyvek on the sides. They'll have used the extruded foam under the Tyvek wrap. Sometimes it's pink and sometimes it's blue. It's a rare house that's built outside of the sunbelt that's not using foam for wall insulation.

I will have to check that. The first place I checked was like 4 houses down from me. They were adding a second level to the house, and they said they were only using that blown insulation. Maybe they misunderstood what I meant. Who knows. I should be good to go in the next week though. I called the local Lowes here, and they said they don't stock anything larger than 1/2 inch. But the next closest one does......which is about 2 hrs away....lol I think I will just order it from hobbylinc.com I want to get 1" sheets and they have a pretty good deal on it.

yeah, nice start. glad to see you off of hold. like someone already said, looking forward to more photos.

CRAP!!! that is all I can say right now. I am back on hold, since we still haven't gotten the stimulous check we were hoping for. Apparently we are getting a regular mailed check so it might be next month sometime. Thought I had some stuff sold so that I could by my foam and tools, but I was wrong I guess. As soon as I am back up I will get some pics, as well as some updates as to what is going on. Gotta clean up the layout right now though. Had a close call with a Tornado and me, my wife and 3 kids all crawled under the layout to hide, and needless to say I bump my head a couple of times, and knocked some things around. lol all is good though. Hope to be up and constructing soon.

Yeah, I'm not getting my check until July because I screwed up on the routing number and the IRS is punishing me. :(. Sorry about bumping around under the layout but I'm glad the tornado missed. We had one in February that went right over the house but the funnel had retracted. It was on the ground again as it got to the center of Prattvile, where the tornado caused a lot of damage. We were really lucky since it was an EF3 and would have leveled the house if the funnel was on the ground. Luckily, we have about a five hundred pound pool table to hide under in the basement. The layout will have to fend for itself. :)

Apparently the reason we are getting ours in the mail is because we opted to have our filing fees taken out of our return when we filed. So from what I understand Turbo Tax is punishing us. AS far as the tornado goes, yeah we were pretty lucky. It went just south of us, and then leveled a town just 8 minutes east of us. It was pretty nerve racking, but thank god we are ok. Hopefully we will get the check sometime soon. According to the schedule it should be mailed out no later than the 4th. We will see what happens though.

YIPPEE!!!!! We finally got our check and the wife let me order my foam. Hooray. I ordered the foam from hobbylinc.com so it should be here in a week or so. I was going to get foam from the local Lowe's but they only have it in 4'x8'. That would work just fine, but I would have no way of getting it home, and then trying to maneuver that down to my layout room with my bad back, would not work out too well. Plus this was a lot cheaper even after shipping. I can't wait to get it so I can get started on some actual building. Also I have changed the way I am going to layout the track. It will be 1 loop, with possibly another inner loop, or some switching. I have yet to fully decide what I like more in this space. We will see what happens with it. Well as soon as I get my foam, I will start building, and take pics as I go.

I got my check today too. Unfortunately, there are other bills that take precedence over model railroad supplies. :) Oh well, at least it gets some bills paid so I can get some stuff next month.

Luckily we had all our bills taken care of before hand so that we could actually spend some of this money. Unfortunately, I had agreed a long time ago, that my wife could get a Wii so I was stuck trying to sweet talk her into letting me spend a little on myself. lol

CRAP!!! Hobbylinc is out of the foam and dont know when they are gonna have it. Looks like I might have to spend a little more money and find a way to get foam home from Lowes. Crappity crap crap crap

Back