Layout height???

FlaRailfan

Just curious how high( floor to top of layout table) you guys's layouts are??? Just finished my table ( wrap around the room, 3 ft from bottom to top of table) and it seems low, I am also 6'2" so that doesn't help anyways, Just curious!

Mine's 32" to the top of the foam (2"), but I wanted to be able to sit and operate/view the table. If I were expecting to be standing most of the time I would have gone taller.

About 4'. To sit I use a bar stool type chair.

The height makes it easier to get under it. If I had a shelf layout, I might try 5'.

How do you want to view your layout? I am only 5'10" so mine is 4 ft from floor to top of table, and the scenery will be almost 8 inches on top of that in the tallest areas.

The reason I built mine so tall is because I want to look at "my little world" as if it is actually happening. What I mean is, you would look down on toys, but you look closely at models. If you plan to do high detail, the the viewing area should be closer to the item in which you're viewing.

Hopefully this information helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

From Ian above, "Mine's 32" to the top of the foam (2"), but I wanted to be able to sit and operate/view the table." That's me exactly except my foam top is 31" from the floor.

DougC

My last layout had the framing at 45", but it was for ducking under. My back and scalp told me a number of times that 50" would have been fine. However, I operated in the middle of the layout, and at that height, the scenery was all around me at a good height. My current build is only 24". You may say "Yikes!!!", but it is actually a refreshing change. I can see everything. I intend to operate on a computer desk type chair eventually, but right now I'm still building it.

Mine is 36 inches, and I am 5'3". It's good height when I am sitting in my office chair.

- Jeff

My lower level is 3'6" and it winds it's way up to 5'6". I do have a cove that has a duck under at 5'3", but that exists on a part of the layout that is "optional" to enter. I plan on having my amusement park at 4' for viewing purposes.

Mine averages about 48 inches from the floor. A lot better for viewing, and great for working under the layout.

My layout is built on top of Ikea 48" high Ivar shelving. "Street level" is at an elevation of 51" to 57". In my case, I wanted a good viewing angle from a standing position. The height allows me to have a guest bed underneath the layout in one room, and a desk and a TV under the layout in a second room. It also is high enough to be unreachable for visiting small children. The down side is that there are a couple areas that are difficult to reach.

Well I know I have mine at 42 inches to the top of the foam and 33 inches wide on a 10 X 14 around to room layout. I'm tall like you, I'm 6'3" but I like it for viewing and its easy for me to reach all parts of the layout. I did shorten two corners with back drops by placing them at 45 degree angles so reaching the tops of a couple of mountains with tunnels was made easier. I also made a drop down at the entrance, you'll hate a duck under from the first time being tall believe me.

Well I know I have mine at 42 inches to the top of the foam and 33 inches wide on a 10 X 14 around to room layout. I'm tall like you, I'm 6'3" but I like it for viewing and its easy for me to reach all parts of the layout. I did shorten two corners with back drops by placing them at 45 degree angles so reaching the tops of a couple of mountains with tunnels was made easier. I also made a drop down at the entrance, you'll hate a duck under from the first time being tall believe me.

Yeah based on what people have said I think I will raise it to between 4 and 5 ft. I want to be able to see it as if I am viewing it. when I look at it from above I cannot see things, like the sides of buildings etc. just the tops. Its a wrap around the room and the widest depth to the outside wall is 2 1/2 feet so it is easily reachable. Can you give me any more insight as to how you built your drop down? I am looking to make a drop down or a lift out type section, but do not have the slightest clue how to do it, and heard it can become really complicated. thnaks guys!

I think I am setting mine to around 46" to the lowest roadbed. I know I am going to have a couple areas I will have a hard time reaching. But my layout is moveable so if there are any problems I can get to any areas around it pretty easily.

Also consider visitors viewing it. A more eye-level layout places more importance on foreground details.

Mine is 49" to the roadbed. I have a duckunder with a bridge over it. After the first time accidentally whacking my head on the bottom of the bridge, I installed a steel brace under it, with a foam cover.
Bear in mind, I am only 5'5" tall, so that height is not excessively inconvenient.

I am 5' 10" tall, but I wanted to be able to operate seated and also that little kids (including a grandchild) could see it without being lifted or standing on a step stool. So the lower level is 31" AFL (above floor level), and transitions to 36" AFL. The latter is right about eye level if I lean over a little while seated. If I want a birdseye view, I just stand up. It all depends on your requirements. There is no "completely right answer".

I was thinking of a lowered position for mine so I could sit and operate it as well and so the kids could see it easy enough. But I think I am going to build some matching steps that slide under the layout for the kids to climb up and get a good view of everything. And if I want to sit I will just have to have a chair a little higher off the floor than a standard chair.

I am 5' 10" tall, but I wanted to be able to operate seated and also that little kids (including a grandchild) could see it without being lifted or standing on a step stool. So the lower level is 31" AFL (above floor level), and transitions to 36" AFL. The latter is right about eye level if I lean over a little while seated. If I want a birdseye view, I just stand up. It all depends on your requirements. There is no "completely right answer".

Good idea. I think that making it higher and perhaps having steps in areas to make it easier for the kids to see would be perfect. I want my kids to have unlimited access to the layout so they can play/look at it whenever they want. I dont want them to hate my hobby, which is what will happen if I make the layout off limits to them.

My layout's base is at 45". There are some grades up. For reference, I am 6'. My layout is a single deck as I find double deck layouts have the lower deck too low and the upper deck too high.

A layout's height is always a comprimise depending on who and how it is going to be used.

Glenn

Back