Layout Design software/programs

I searced the forum this, and nothing specific came up, so:

do any of you guys use any model railroad specific software, or apps to design your layouts? If so, what is the one you like the most?

Do people still do it by hand on graph paper?

my instinct is to get out the graph paper and do it old school, but alo would not mind getting used to anyhting that could be done digital as well...especially to mess around with

I personally like and use AnyRail (version 6 is current, I believe). To me it was by far the simplest to use, with pre-made track libraries for pretty much any brand of track you want to use, accurately sized for all individual track pieces and turnouts, crossovers etc. Those "snap" into place as you're designing the layout, and you can specify specific curve radius for sections of flex track. It has capability to gradually flow into both turns and changes in elevation so that they aren't just abrupt, and it tells you exactly where to pin your flex track or the exact height and the percentage of grade of any specific point in your grades. You can even set a height for a particular point, highlight a section of track, and it will automatically calculate the height of each point in the track along that section and tell you what percentage grade you'll end up with. You can also print out the track plan in real-life dimensions to use as a reference, with or without a grid (just like graph paper). I actually glued those sheets of printed paper to my layout in most places and they're still there underneath the track and scenery. Made laying the track a breeze.

I did try a few other programs back at the beginning, but to me this one was just the most intuitive to learn and easiest to use, while still (at least to my knowledge) having all the features you could want.

i used scarm about six years ago to do my 15 foot by 16 foot layout ...
it's progressed quite a bit, no longer free, but pretty cheap, and has a decent 3d rendering
my layout might be still on the , HO Squirrel Creek

I've been using SCARM, too - The free version. But I mostly use it to to give me a basic idea of what I want then I tend to go at it by eye on the actual layout. I haven't tried many others, but I have tried the Graph paper route. While it certainly works, it's a bit slower compared to the E versions. :)

I could never make the e-versions work for me. I ended up making mine up as I went along and it looks it...lol

I use 3rd Planit, and like it a lot. It's really impressive and a true CAD program.

That said, it's also like any CAD program and has a steep as heck learning curve. But, after a fairly short while, you can get to the point where you can lay in snap track easily and do some basic designs quickly.

Here's a sample, I threw this together in maybe 1/2 hour to verify some of the spacing on a member's proposed layout. It's hard to draw yards by had, they take up a lot of space, often more than you think they will. So I prefer to do them in a program. It turned out he had done a good job of things and it all looks like it can fit.

prrmod1.jpg

I have come to the conclusion if I am drawing a plan, anything will work. I do not use the drawn plan for the final result; it is more of a 'this *should* go here' thing. Paper and Pencil is great to sketch up something quick. Not so good in alignment and distances. I have used CadRail and 3rd Plan-it of which both have their merits. XtrackCad is my choice when I need to know grades and track segment distance. You usually end up drawing with exacting dimensions and very small tolerances; then you cut stuff with an 1/8 inch carbide tipped saw, or 1/16 inch scroll/jig saw. So much for tolerances. What ever turns your crank. Seeing stuff on screen or paper helps ( at least me ) visualize what I am trying to accomplish or understand why it does NOT work.

awesome info so far everyone!! This gives me a lot of stuff to check out.

I also most likely plan on using the computer stuff for preliminary try outs, and will then do pencil/paper work for the more detailed level. I do have some time to possibly learn some of the more technical CAD based stuff though...we will see!!

I really want to try the XtrackCAD, but there are a million extra steps to take to get it to work on my Mac. I don't know if I trust all of that to actually work in the end....

Last edited:
I personally like and use AnyRail (version 6 is current, I believe). To me it was by far the simplest to use, with pre-made track libraries for pretty much any brand of track you want to use, accurately sized for all individual track pieces and turnouts, crossovers etc. Those "snap" into place as you're designing the layout, and you can specify specific curve radius for sections of flex track. It has capability to gradually flow into both turns and changes in elevation so that they aren't just abrupt, and it tells you exactly where to pin your flex track or the exact height and the percentage of grade of any specific point in your grades. You can even set a height for a particular point, highlight a section of track, and it will automatically calculate the height of each point in the track along that section and tell you what percentage grade you'll end up with. You can also print out the track plan in real-life dimensions to use as a reference, with or without a grid (just like graph paper). I actually glued those sheets of printed paper to my layout in most places and they're still there underneath the track and scenery. Made laying the track a breeze.

I did try a few other programs back at the beginning, but to me this one was just the most intuitive to learn and easiest to use, while still (at least to my knowledge) having all the features you could want.
What he said, I'm with Mike!

awesome info so far everyone!! This gives me a lot of stuff to check out.

I also most likely plan on using the computer stuff for preliminary try outs, and will then do pencil/paper work for the more detailed level. I do have some time to possibly learn some of the more technical CAD based stuff though...we will see!!

I really want to try the XtrackCAD, but there are a million extra steps to take to get it to work on my Mac. I don't know if I trust all of that to actually work in the end....

str8edgRxRguy,
I hear your pain, regarding using PC software on a Mac. I used RailModeller Express, to design my extension, and have been very happy with it. It is 100% Mac. The Express, free version, limits the size of the layout you can create. However, the RailModeller Pro version has no limits and has a large library of track options and many extras. I would download the free version and give it a try. I think you will be very happy to not have to jump through hoops. Good luck with your decision. Glenn

str8edgRxRguy,
I hear your pain, regarding using PC software on a Mac. I used RailModeller Express, to design my extension, and have been very happy with it. It is 100% Mac. The Express, free version, limits the size of the layout you can create. However, the RailModeller Pro version has no limits and has a large library of track options and many extras. I would download the free version and give it a try. I think you will be very happy to not have to jump through hoops. Good luck with your decision. Glenn

yep...over the weekend, I found this, and have been happily messing with it now!!! The rest of quarantine world is not going to be so bad now....

Was the 3rd Planit software utilized to create this video,...or were their additional processes needed??

Last edited:
Count me in the Anyrail camp! And remember, opinions are like ***noses*** [or sub other part of anatomy]: everybody has one and they all smell.

Years ago, I was fairly proficient at AutoCAD. So there are certain things that irk me. But once you get the hang of it, it will do what you need. I will say, it is surprisingly accurate for layouts.

Back