Layout design software/programs?

FlyFishn

I am new to high-tech (can I call it that?) model railroading. A lot of the terminology is new to me. What I am curious about is software that will assist in layout design. I am not looking for predefined layouts, or combinations of predefined segments/modules added together. I have a lot of CAD experience (AutoCAD, FeatureCAM, Inventor, and my current software is TurboCAD). I may just use TurboCAD for what I am after but if there is an easier method with some more purpose-built/user-friendly model railroad application software that may be easier for me.

I want to be able to use some room dimensions to come up with a "floor plan" of the table/desk layout design, then experiment with track positioning/features. I am more interested in the shape and layout of the track, as opposed to structures and town/industry build up as right now I want to focus my efforts towards learning DCC control -not of the locomotives alone, but of accessories and track sectioning/occupancy, maybe signaling, etc.

Edit - if it makes much difference, I am going to work with N scale first. I have a lot of HO gear and O27/Lionel, but I can't set much of that up as I don't have space right now. I think I can make N work. Maybe if I can design some modules that would be best at first - that way it is an expandable layout, and can be dismantled/moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Scarm to design my layout, worked well ..
Cost is free, and the author is responsive to questions...

Take a look at AnyRail. It designs all scales, and has track libraries created very exactingly from various manufacturers' products. Extremely easy to use, but has a lot of powerful design features. The illustrations on the site emphasize a lot of the building/scenery features, but honestly I've found those to be the least compelling aspect of the software. Give it a look at https://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

That XTrackCAD is pretty sweet. I downloaded the Atlas software also. The layers and construction lines on XTrackCAD is more at home with me so far. I'll play around with things and see what I come up with. Cool stuff! This gives me a Christmas break project.

I use Abracadata (now TheLiquidAteHer) 3D Railroad Concept And Design, and have been using it for many years now. Tried 3rd Planit, which can do just about anything, but don't want to spend the time. 3D RR CAD has many 2d building templates, which at least give you an idea of a particular building's footprint. The learning curve isn't too much, particularly if you have a CAD background. My advice would be use the tutorial, and 'you're off.'

Back