Late Weekend PhotoFun 01-16-06

RexHea said:
David, I'm not sure that I understand your question

Sorry, I did mean how did you make all those trees on Sawmill Ridge

The trees on Sawmill Ridge are cuttings from a wild bush that grows in the South. Dip in paint bucket of 3:1 water/glue, Sprinkle fine ground foam, hang to dry.

The trees on the other hill are using puffs of Polyesther pillow stuffing.
1. Pull off a glob of poly
2. Roll in your hand for the right size and round shape.
3. Hot glue to mountain.
4. When a small section is complete, Spray paint with cheap black paint.
5. Spray thoroughly with 3:1 or 5:1 water/white glue or equiv.
6. Sprinkle fine ground foam (your choice of color)
7. Use "V" piece of cardboard to blow ground foam into crevices and under the trees.
8. Continue 1-7 until complete coverage
9. Spray again with glue concoction.

How's that?

Perfect!! Thgey look good and that method sounds like a very economical way to populate a hill.

Thanks Rex!

Glad I could help some, David. The big plus with the type of bush that I cut the Blooms from is they have tiny seed pods on the blooms little limbs. I cut the small white blooms off and leave the pods on.

After I have dipped them in glue, the sprinkled ground foam has something to stick on and "cluster" out from. This bush is called an Oakleaf Hydrangea. Even though you may not have it in your area, look for any wild bush with blooms. Check and see if it has anything other than just limbs for the foam to stick to. I tried Crepe Mertel blooms, but the seed pods on them are too few and too danged big. The shape of the bloom limbs are excellent, if you want to use them as an armature and use the larger clustered foam.

How I spent my unexpected day off:

Since one of the main transformers blew this morning and plunged my employer's entire campus into darkness, I was treated to an unexpected 8 hours of 'administrative' leave - which I attempted to put to effective use (after completing the honey dues of course!:D )

First I finished scraping my in-plant grade crossings so trains would roll properly thru them, then repainted them (this is before the repainting):
scraped_up_grade_xing.jpg

The next 3 hours were spent digging all my special-effects lighting infrastructure out of storage, placing them in their planned locations, and seeing if they would work. At the far left is what will simulate my ingot teeming ladle, the center shows the 40watt bulb inside the BOF clay vessel, and the small rectangle at the right suggests a ladle full of hot metal into which bottle cars will be emptying:
BOF_lighting_infrastrucure_test.jpg

Here is what the clay BOF vessel looks like on the inside:
BOF_clay_vessel_inside.jpg

This is what will be visible to visitors of the BOF vessel, the light bulb and bottom wiring will be hidden by the charging platform:
BOF_clay_vessel_external.jpg

Looks like I can probably start placing the large buildings next week!:)

Back