Larry's Model RR Empire

... The undertable wood & copper tubing mounting lites worked out perfect. So easy to install. If the tubes are to high in the building I just unscrew the screws & lower the tube to the right heighth & reinstall. So far I've installed about 65 of these w/5mm LED's.:D:)

Larry some photos of how you wired the lighting would be most appreciated

Larry! You are my new hero across the Atlantic Ocean to monitor your hands away from the start and stops my breath. Do not blame me, but when I start doing a little model of the EU will copy some of your ideas to make fit.

Very cool night shots Larry!! That gives me some ideas for lighting a future planned Oil Refinery that I'm going to light up.

Thanks for the photos and info on lighting with LEDs.

I also have started messing around w/Fibreoptics for signs etc.:D:):rolleyes:
I've tried fibre optics and the biggest problem for me is getting a good connection between the end of the fibre and the bulb or led. Not so much for light leakage as that's generally not a problem but getting enough light into the fibre. One thing to watch out for is not to try and make 90 degree or any real sharp bends. Works great in signals.

Love the night shots, but then again I've always been a sucker for night running anyways. Have you done or will you do night operations?

Looks great Larry! I've been painting the insides of my buildings from the very beginning and have never run the lighting! One day it will get done

I think that little man in the substation photo might want to get a move on. It seems that a giant spider is eyeing him from behind the substation.

Larry:
Nice toy indeed. Good to see there's one that'll fit in an HO gondola, especially with the lens facing forward. I'd thought about one of those little GoPro video cameras they put through all kinds of abuse on TV on shows like Deadliest Catch and as helmet cams but those lens are in the 'normal' position (sideways) for a still camera.

On batteries: don't get them from Radio Shack and don't buy Duracells. Neither last that long; RS tends to have stuff that's close to end date and Duracells can't sustain a high output necessary for video (and flash in still cameras) work. You might want to think about rechargeables of some sort.

Looks like a handy tool especially for those with layouts with "hidden areas". How well does it do in the dark like tunnels and what not...

Got the new 10 min. Video Uploaded finally on YouTube. Only took about
3&1/2 hours to load it & I have DSL. :mad::rolleyes::):D
Good video for a first time with the new camera. I don't think I've ever seen that many Atlas rerailer track sections in my life!

DSL can be slow. When I had it Verizon had 2 speeds 768k and 3 meg, and that was max speed and often fell below that. Remember that DSL goes over the older twisted pair copper lines and some of that stuff has been up on the poles for many decades - easily 50 years or more. There's all kinds of wear & tear that go on, not to mention water in junction boxes and stuff (that was a major reason my DSL slowed own - got FIOS now and 20 to 25 meg minimum).

That is really neat! Me and the gf were just talking the other day about how cool it would be once we got the layout really going to put a small videocam on a car and videotape it. So this definately has me thinking lol

Hey Larry, :)

The effect of the heater buildings is SO cool!:)

And you'll have lots of fun with that camera.

Just saw your riding the rails video, and the quality is excellent. Also try taking a video with the car at the end of the train with other cars in front of it. It will have the feel of riding on the train. Wow... your layout is gigantic!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Very cool video and very, very cool layout! A lot of time, money, effort, and imagination has defintely gone into that layout!:eek::)

Gotta love the triple decker "Superliner-super dome" Amtrak car at the passenger station.:D

Keep up the good work.:)

Back