Kato powered chassis as powered freight car pushers

York614

So, what’s the difference between an 11-105,106,107,108,109? What are the motors like in these? I am thinking of building some “powered freight cars” to act as pushers for my underpowered/slippery steamers, and am curious as to whether anyone has done this, as to whether anyone has used these Kato chassis to do this, and what the result was. I know they’d probably need decoders to consist with the steamers, and a bucket load of weight to be effective, but that’s the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

i have used athearn locos to make dummies pushers, but never kato .. dummies are pretty easy to make, just flatten the cab ..

So, what’s the difference between an 11-105,106,107,108,109? What are the motors like in these? I am thinking of building some “powered freight cars” to act as pushers for my underpowered/slippery steamers, and am curious as to whether anyone has done this, as to whether anyone has used these Kato chassis to do this, and what the result was. I know they’d probably need decoders to consist with the steamers, and a bucket load of weight to be effective, but that’s the extent of my knowledge on the subject.
I just finished making a Kato 11-109 into a small boxcab locomotive for my Maintenance of Way train. The difference between chassis, as far as I can tell is its length and number of wheels, as well as styling. The motor of the 109, which I am going to assume is common between all chassis, is a coreless DC motor, long and narrow. I'm most used to seeing this type of motor with an offset weight used as vibrator assemblies. My 109, despite only being two axles, is surprisingly strong! It pulls its 5 car train up a 3% grade with no wheel slip at all. I haven't tested its limit, but it could probably pull more. Just like all Kato products, they're very well built. Converting it to DCC using a Digitrax decoder was extremely easy. I'd highly recommend them for what you are trying to do, and am excited to see updates if you go through with it!

Here is a link to my post about my boxcab if you're interested: https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...-designed-an-n-scale-boxcab.35736/post-567226

Edit: One last thing to take note of is that, at least on the 109, the coupler assembly sucks, and I don't say that lightly. Even the stock Rapido couplers kept falling off. I upgraded mine with Micro-Trains body mount coupler assemblies, but it took some modification, super glue and a lot of curse words. I'm still not 100% certain my mods will stay attached either.

I just finished making a Kato 11-109 into a small boxcab locomotive for my Maintenance of Way train. The difference between chassis, as far as I can tell is its length and number of wheels, as well as styling. The motor of the 109, which I am going to assume is common between all chassis, is a coreless DC motor, long and narrow. I'm most used to seeing this type of motor with an offset weight used as vibrator assemblies. My 109, despite only being two axles, is surprisingly strong! It pulls its 5 car train up a 3% grade with no wheel slip at all. I haven't tested its limit, but it could probably pull more. Just like all Kato products, they're very well built. Converting it to DCC using a Digitrax decoder was extremely easy. I'd highly recommend them for what you are trying to do, and am excited to see updates if you go through with it!

Here is a link to my post about my boxcab if you're interested: https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...-designed-an-n-scale-boxcab.35736/post-567226

Edit: One last thing to take note of is that, at least on the 109, the coupler assembly sucks, and I don't say that lightly. Even the stock Rapido couplers kept falling off. I upgraded mine with Micro-Trains body mount coupler assemblies, but it took some modification, super glue and a lot of curse words. I'm still not 100% certain my mods will stay attached either.
The only word for your boxcab is awesome! Now I’m getting the itch for sure.

Back