Kanamodel CPR Lineside buildings

CNR Glen

I bought this kit off a friend last year. It's a pretty old kit that looks like it was originally marketed by Traintown of Canada but is now available through Kanamodel products. It contains 3 small Canadian Pacific lineside buildings. A Lineman's house, a tool house and a speeder shed. I'll be building the Lineman's house first.
010_zps5a29ec78.jpg

Also pictured in the instructions is the Section House but it's not included in the kit (I bought that structure build a few years ago)
Opening the kit I find that all the walls for the four buildings are laser-cut wood with cast resin foundations and card roofs. a roll of Campbell shingles is included as well as a couple Tichy handcars and barrel castings.
009_zps8589dfbf.jpg

As I mentioned I started with the lineman's house.
012_zps7588d909.jpg

It's a fairly simple structure, four walls, four windows and a door. The windows and door appear to be Campbell castings.
013_zps1b7af8d7.jpg

One thing I did notice that the longer walls were slightly warped, I glued some stiffeners to the backs and clamped them while the glue dried.
011_zpsd2990b3c.jpg

Now they're nice and flat.

Nice kit Glen. The beauty of kits like that is you can use the buildings by themselves to be anything you want except the hand car shed. Even that could be something of a utility shed without the hand car. Be sure to add some pics when they're finished.

Thanks, I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to use these structures, but being of such small size, they'll fit anywhere.

Just a quick update. I painted the Lineman shed yesterday:
001_zps095a36fb.jpg

I primered the walls with Wal-Mart grey primer then painted the walls with Ceramcoat barn red, the trim, windows and doors were painted with Apple barrel country grey. I let a bit of the grey come through for some fading but left the red intact for the most part. I've seen CPR buildings that have survived 40 winters with this paint.
The instructions mention that Canadian Pacific painted most of these buildings completely Boxcar red/ red-oxide but their picture has their sample buildings with the grey trim. I liked that a lot better.

Sorry I haven't been working on this project more. We've got spring going on out there and the Mountain bike keeps calling.
Anyway I did get the walls together, doors and windows installed and the building on it's foundation:
001_zpsdfb57713.jpg

002_zpsca852b88.jpg

I like the contrast of the grey trim than the completely brown-red of the prototype, I'm going to build the other buildings the same.
Speaking of the others:
003_zpsfb1e84db.jpg

I primed the walls and stripwood for the other two buildings, it was just easier this way, next is the barn red. The Section shed is almost done, all it needs is the roof, and some more trim.

Looking good Glen!
If you drag a stiff brush over the red I wonder if the grey will show like peeling paint?
I'm getting my mountain bike tuned up now... just can't seem to find any mountains!:confused:

No problem finding mountain around here! every bike ride is a workout.

Since both the Lineman's shed and tool house use the Campbell shingles I thought I'd wait on the lineman's shed and build the Tool house to the point where I could shingle them together. The tool house goes together almost exactly like the lineman shed. Same framing, same paint ect.
001_zps476d2245.jpg

The big difference is the large sliding door of course, That is a separate piece the scribed basswood, framed by 2X6 wood strip.
002_zps101e8013.jpg

The bases for the structures are urethane castings. The lineman's shed was okay but the other two were warped. This was an easy fix, clamp them straight and submerge them in hot water, when the water was cool they bases were flat.
004_zps8bac8341.jpg

With the end trim added the two are ready for roofing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've almost managed to finish both the Lineman shed and tool house. I applied the Campbell shingle to the roof of both of them:
004_zps08e5be4c.jpg

I had a bit of trouble with these. In the past the water activated adhesive on the shingles held them down on its own. But with these I had to use some white glue, maybe they were just old. The square on the larger roof is for the Lineman shed smoke jack. (I haven't finished weathering it yet) I did get the roof on the Tool house though:
006_zps2b8a6040.jpg

All it needs now is the ridge pole and end gables.
I also made considerable headway on the speeder shed:
005_zps943c290b.jpg

The kit give you the option of building with doors closed, open or operating. I'm going for the operating doors.

Rico There's mountains not too far it's nice until she tries her best to get me in the hyper-maniac trails..no thanks....

CNR Glen you are doing great work. Real craftsmanship. Thanks for posting your work. I enjoy it a lot

Either of you guys going to Calgary Supertrain?

Thanks. I've never been to supertrains in Calgary. It's a bit too far to go. I am going to a regional PNR meet in Kamloops this weekend.

I have a friend who goes every year and sets up shop, maybe I'll tag along depending on work load.
Heard it's a great show.

I have a friend who goes every year and sets up shop, maybe I'll tag along depending on work load.
Heard it's a great show.

I've heard great things about the show as well, but it's a pretty long trek from Boston. My wife is from near Calgary, though, so maybe one of these days I'll think of a reason to go there in April instead of summer or holidays...

Hear Athearn is announcing a new Canadian loco at this year's show and already have a sample to present, so would be great to see someone's 1st hand take on it posted on this forum if anyone does make it there.

CNR Glen I really enjoy your modeling. Please keep updating your progress.

Thanks

notabob

My guess is this will be a chop nose GP9. Just a guess, but since they will release a new GP9
anyways (Genesis - new tooling) at the end of the month... just a guess.

Would be nice to see someone do a line of MLW however :) :)

notabob

My guess is this will be a chop nose GP9. Just a guess, but since they will release a new GP9
anyways (Genesis - new tooling) at the end of the month... just a guess.

Would be nice to see someone do a line of MLW however :) :)

In their facebook announcement they did say "all new", so not sure if a chopped GP9 would qualify as such. They've done a whole mess of high hood GP9s just recently and doing both low and high hood versions of same loco didn't qualify as different models in the past (see the new GP38-2(W) - the Southern was high hood, while others were all low). I'm hoping against all hope that they got a Draper Taper in store for us, but I'm probably wrong.

For big MLW power, Bowser has recently put out some very nice C630Ms in a variety of Canadian roads, with a number prototype specific details. I got one in BCR Red/White/Blue and it's a beautiful model.

I'm closing in on the end of this project (unless you count the Tichy handcars included in the kit)
001_zps1e6c09c6.png

I assembled the doors and mounted the hinge supports on the front walls of the shed. Framing the doors was a bit difficult, but not bad.

I finished off the project last night:
026_zps87b09492.jpg

I did manage to get the opening doors to work right, but I'll just leave them like this since I don't think the CA holding the hinges to the building would stand up in the long term.
I cut a piece of basswood for the roof instead of the card supplied in the kit. The 120 grit sandpaper was glued onto is and painted flat black. I later airbrushed some grey onto the roof to age it slightly.
After the speeder shed was finished I started in on the Tichy handcar and pushcart.
004_zps647ddc05.jpg

These are very nice little models and well worth the time spent putting them together.
033_zps23b7fa3c.jpg

029_zpse18c8fc1.jpg

The handcar is very fragile. I broke the pump handle when I picked it up and had to repair it. Fortunately it doesn't show.
All the buildings together:
030_zpsf869e4fe.jpg

I airbrushed the lower parts with Poly-S dirt, and the shingle roofs with a light grey. I'm planning on renovating part of my layout to place them so they don't yet have a permanent home.

Nice job Glen, as usual. Looks like you are even keeping your work bench half-assed clean as well :D

Thanks Gary, I have been at least attempting to keep the workbench clean. But that doesn't mean the rest of my workshop is any better!

I have found a place for the buildings.
003_zps8dd097a5.jpg

Originally I had a small Woodland scenic station there but last week I found the Juneco CN Cartierville station kit at a swap meet. I decided to build my layout over my old control panel (It's still hooked up but I don't use it since I converted to DCC) The Station and water tower will go in the new area created, and the lineside buildings will go across the track from them.

Back