Junker restorations/rehabs

Those are tricky. Not losing the worm bearings is the priority I think. Make sure the top cog/pulley is not slipping on its shaft. I have used super glue to lock them down.
I didn't test if the gear was slipping on it's shaft but as I said, the drive operates now. I sure wish I had done that test though. If it has problems I'll do that. Thanks

Rivarossi repaint
138tJ36.jpg

It's reassemble day for this Spectrum 2-8-0 Steam. I'm replacing the belt that seemed to be slipping. Hopefully this one will be a little tighter. Maybe I'll find there's a different issue. We'll see. Oh yeah, wish me luck reassembling this thing that I took apart last week.
View attachment 170931
I got it working but not very well. It seemed to run well on dc on the bench. On dcc, the chuff isn't even synchronized. It's pretty much an expensive display. I really thought these spectrums were gonna be good engines. Never again.

I got it working but not very well. It seemed to run well on dc on the bench. On dcc, the chuff isn't even synchronized. It's pretty much an expensive display. I really thought these spectrums were gonna be good engines. Never again.
I am not being smart but you did take the decoder out when you were bench testing right?

I bypassed it to test the engine and it ran strong in my hand holding my thumbs against the drive wheels. It has a 1.25 amp stall current.

Yes. I was trying to run it this morning and smoked the decoder at least one of the input FETs. I can replace that or just get a better decoder.

Back