Junker restorations/rehabs

z2ur871[1].jpg

I like the title, it seems like a possible Neverending thread. I have my share of fixer uppers. Most need weights and better couplers.

My last batch from FBM included some Varneys. They seem pretty good. Body mounted draft boxes on the bodies. Trucks that are attached with screws instead plastic push pins. I'll continue to watch for their stuff.

Those other things with truck mounted couplers and horn hooks, I'll just leave them as is from now on and make one horn hook and one kadie car and run them. My experience with upgrading them is terrible. The trucks bump into the draft boxes after converting them. By the time do i a full upgrade, I may as well have bought something better.

First post on the forum!! I am in the UK and over here there is a reasonably plentiful supply of old Blue Box and Proto 2000 locos at reasonable prices, often sold as spares or repairs because either the seller doesn't understand them or in the case of the Proto models, the gears are cracked.

I have been buying cheap Proto 2000 GP's mostly and doing them up for some time now starting with this parts bin job:

20210211_101217.jpg

Which after a lot of work became the unique Cotton Belt/SSW GP7 304:

20210415_115104.jpg

I have done quite a lot more since then, some merely repairs and updates to existing factory liveried models, others complete strip down and rebuilds. Here is another that I rescued from a pile of cheap spares/repairs at a show a couple of years ago and treated to a mechanical repair and some Details West parts:

Banner2.jpg

Last edited:

Back