JTEX A switcher junkyard

Rick, I was stupid, in a hurry, not paying attention, etc. etc. Needless to say I sliced my right thigh just above the kneecap. Luckily nothing damaged too bad. I'd share a picture but some people might not like that.

I'm gonna blame James for this one. He got me moving to start building. LOL

Rick, I was stupid, in a hurry, not paying attention, etc. etc. Needless to say I sliced my right thigh just above the kneecap. Luckily nothing damaged too bad. I'd share a picture but some people might not like that.

I'm gonna blame James for this one. He got me moving to start building. LOL

I see how you are......well unsupervised work was the issue lol where was she? Your better half? Lol

Well heal up quick and go back to safety training 101 and wear your PPE.....maybe put that box cutter away and get out the scissors. Ya can't always go "Wolverine" on these project builds ya know!

That brings up a question. If you had a very long yard track, say 12' long, how many feeder wires does it need? 1 in the middle or 2, one at each end??

That brings up a question. If you had a very long yard track, say 12' long, how many feeder wires does it need? 1 in the middle or 2, one at each end?

If I was installing the track, I'll solder every rail joiner and attach a feeder at the 4' foot mark at each end of the 12' run. Two feeders and soldering the rail joiners will insure positive electrical feeds.

Greg

If I was installing the track, I'll solder every rail joiner and attach a feeder at the 4' foot mark at each end of the 12' run. Two feeders and soldering the rail joiners will insure positive electrical feeds.

Greg
Greg, it crosses 3 modules, so soldering all of the rail joiners is not possible.

Looking good so far and I'm taking notes! Hopefully I'll have some time this evening to start my track paint experiments.

I only have a pair of feeders on the 2 main loops. The remainder are fed individually on each block with blocks 2-9 having a common between them. My layout spans 10'X 9' roughly. I have no solder joints (yet) in my layout, they're all rail joiners that are a little tighter than standard.

Rick, 5 modules 4' X 6' each. Look at this picture, the long runs down the middle. They are on 4 different modules.

20200524_133941.jpg

OK, my next question for those of you that have modules. What type of electrical connectors are you using between modules? I'd like something simple but also identifiable when it comes time to re-connecting everything. There will be a lot of wires underneath this monster. LOL

I'd like something simple but also identifiable when it comes time to re-connecting everything. There will be a lot of wires underneath this monster. LOL
There are numerous ways to do this, depending on your 'ease quotient', from multi-wire plugs such as re-purposed parallel (printer) plugs to mounted terminal strips, or a combo of both. I would favor plugs as there are limited ways they can be mis-aligned when re-connecting.

There are numerous ways to do this, depending on your 'ease quotient', from multi-wire plugs such as re-purposed parallel (printer) plugs to mounted terminal strips, or a combo of both. I would favor plugs as there are limited ways they can be mis-aligned when re-connecting.
You make valid points. Multi-tiered plugs sound like a good way to go.

Back